Dogs Sinus infection/puss lump

Old January 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dogs Sinus infection/puss lump

Any advice would be so appreciated. My 8 year old dog developed
redness around her eye, then a lump above her eye. And one bloody
nose. None since. (been two months) Been on two antibiotics. One
very expensive and strong. 375 mg. clavamox 2 x day. The lump has
gotten larger. It is the size of a quarter around and almost 3/4 inch
high. It hurts her if touched. Used hot compresses. Helped only
temporarily. Vet did asperate and told me it was puss. I dont believe
he cultured it. He initially thought it was a tumor...but x ray showed
not. NOW WHAT? My bill is unreal....Can I give dog aspirin or
tylenol Which is it and how much for a 50 lb. dog. Thanks. Julia Ann

Old January 2nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I would imagine the abscess or whatever it is need to be remove or
drained. Hasn't the vet suggested this? If not, maybe you should
take your dog to a different vet for a 2nd opinion.

On 2 Jan 2006 09:23:02 -0800, "Julia Ann" wrote:

Any advice would be so appreciated. My 8 year old dog developed
redness around her eye, then a lump above her eye. And one bloody
nose. None since. (been two months) Been on two antibiotics. One
very expensive and strong. 375 mg. clavamox 2 x day. The lump has
gotten larger. It is the size of a quarter around and almost 3/4 inch
high. It hurts her if touched. Used hot compresses. Helped only
temporarily. Vet did asperate and told me it was puss. I dont believe
he cultured it. He initially thought it was a tumor...but x ray showed
not. NOW WHAT? My bill is unreal....Can I give dog aspirin or
tylenol Which is it and how much for a 50 lb. dog. Thanks. Julia Ann

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Old January 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Julia Ann" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any advice would be so appreciated. My 8 year old dog developed
redness around her eye, then a lump above her eye. And one bloody
nose. None since. (been two months) Been on two antibiotics. One
very expensive and strong. 375 mg. clavamox 2 x day. The lump has
gotten larger. It is the size of a quarter around and almost 3/4 inch
high. It hurts her if touched. Used hot compresses. Helped only
temporarily. Vet did asperate and told me it was puss. I dont believe
he cultured it.

.........Is the antibiotic doing any good? It needs to be cultured if this
antibiotic is not knocking it down. Could be pseudomonas, which is an
anerobe. You might need a different antibiotic. This dog needs more
attention as sinus infections can spread to the brain. Either get this guy
in gear or dump him. Had any regular bloodwork run on the dog? An X-ray of
the area? It could be a combo of things - possibly also a fungal infection.

He initially thought it was a tumor...but x ray showed
not. NOW WHAT? My bill is unreal....Can I give dog aspirin or
tylenol Which is it and how much for a 50 lb. dog. Thanks. Julia Ann

........NO No tylenol. Just aspirin. Try 1/2 regular aspirin at a time and
see if it helps. I would imagine that your pup could have up to 2 aspirins
a day, but I'd be cautious. Give with food. Better to get this treated.

good luck with your pup
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 4th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Daisy goes in the morning to be put under anesthesia and have the lump
bi-opsied!! Wonder what that will cost besides what if its cancer?
Jeezz.. I am sad becasue I cant afford Chemotherapy. And BugLady said
something about it being fungal. I shall follow thru with those
suggestions. I do believe the VET is doing exactly what People Doc's
do.....He is step by stepping which cost more for the patient. Rather
than, he should have bipsied in the first place as he told me he
thougth it was Tumor and Cancer. We shall know in a week.
I mean what is the best this could be? I know the worst. Thanks for
all the input, as I had searched the Internet to no avail until I found
this newsgroup. Julia Ann

Old January 4th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Julia Ann" wrote in message
oups.com...
Daisy goes in the morning to be put under anesthesia and have the lump
bi-opsied!! Wonder what that will cost besides what if its cancer?
Jeezz.. I am sad becasue I cant afford Chemotherapy.

........let's just hope it's not cancer. And I don't know that chemo would
do any good for nasal cancer. Here's a site on nasal passage cancer in
dogs. They seem to indicate radiation after surgery is the current
treatment:

http://www.oncolink.com/types/articl...ss=548&id=6025

And BugLady said
something about it being fungal. I shall follow thru with those
suggestions. I do believe the VET is doing exactly what People Doc's
do.....He is step by stepping which cost more for the patient.

.......Well, there's a certain logic to it to treat it as a bacterial
infection first but nasal things can also easily be fungal or cancer. And
even if it's bacterial and the wrong kind of antibiotic you won't see
progress. Bacteria also can be secondary to fungal infections. My personal
preference is to do less invasive treatments first, so I wouldn't have
insisted on a sectional biopsy to begin with only a needle biopsy, plus head
X-rays and perhaps a culture, though fungus is hard to culture from these
situations apparently. I think my first concern would have been to rule out
fungal infection. This is all from stuff I've learned over the years. It's
all a learning process.

It's important to ask questions. At the beginning of any illness, find out
what the possibilities are for your dog's condition, ask about the various
diagnostic tests to confirm or rule out conditions, ask about various
treatments if it turns out to be one of those you've discussed. This way
you've covered all the bases before you even start looking. In many cases
the list of possible diseases can be very long before any diagnostic tests
are done. You may go through a whole slew of them before you even get a
clue. This is not the vet's fault. A negative result is still a result
because you've just ruled out a possible condition.

..........I went back and reread your initial post and note that he did X-ray
the head.......and said it's not cancer. Ask him why he thinks this is.
From the reading I've done I guess he didn't see any bone erosion in the
sinuses.

.......You've mentioned that it's been expensive, especially one of the
antibiotics. Perhaps he's already tried an antibiotic for an anerobe or
perhaps one of these thing was for fungi. One was Clavamox, what was the
other?

We shall know in a week.
I mean what is the best this could be?

.......the best it could be is an abcess, the worst is cancer. Please keep
us posted.

Here's more reading for you:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/nasal.asp
If the discharge contains blood, then fungal infection or cancer are most
likely to be present. An exception to this rule is that violent sneezing
from any cause can cause temporary bleeding from the nose. But if bleeding
is NOT caused by sneezing, then fungal infection or cancer are the most
likely causes. Nasal bleeding can be part of a body-wide bleeding problem in
which case bleeding or bruising are seen in locations in addition to the
nose.
Laboratory tests on blood and urine do not usually reveal the cause of nasal
discharge Tooth root abscesses and nasal foreign matter tend to cause a
one-sided nasal discharge. Other causes of nasal discharge may begin from
one nostril and progress to both nostrils as the disease worsens.

Differential diagnoses and steps to take to diagnose nasal problems:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00392.htm

...............The teeth need to be considered also. Sometimes abcessed
teeth can cause nasal problems. Depends on where your pup's lump is though.
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00197.htm
Periodontal probing
The third step in evaluating nasal diseases; it is very important that all
upper teeth be carefully examined, probing each tooth for the presence of
any periodontal pockets which may be indicative of abscessation with
secondary nasal involvement. Dental caries, although uncommon, may be a
source of infection/nasal cavity involvement; probe the crown of the tooth
in order to detect soft areas.

...............One other possibility is a foreign body. If you live in an
area with foxtails (or any grass that has large awns like foxtails), once
these penetrate the body they can travel. It's quite possible this whole
thing is due to a foxtail snorted up the nose.

the best to you and your pup

Old January 5th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Daidy had surgery today to relieve a biopsy from the lump. When the
vet did the incision it exploded and therefore she now has a drain tube
which is awful. She is draining blood all over the place. Mess.
Poor baby doesnt know what has happened to her. She likes to lay out
on the porch in the cold. (Wisconsin) We have pain meds for tomorrow
and antibiotic AGAIN!!
The results of the biopsy will be in around a week. Will let you all
know. Sorry I dont know how to navigate this site so well. I keep
repeating my first letter. duh....Hope everyone gets to read this. If
not BUG LADY, tell me how to do it. THanks Julia Ann

Old January 5th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Julia Ann" wrote in message
oups.com...
Daidy had surgery today to relieve a biopsy from the lump. When the
vet did the incision it exploded and therefore she now has a drain tube
which is awful. She is draining blood all over the place.

.........sounds like an abcess. Wonder if he got anything to biopsy. It
might not be painful any more since the pressure is off.

Sorry I dont know how to navigate this site so well. I keep
repeating my first letter. duh....Hope everyone gets to read this. If
not BUG LADY, tell me how to do it. THanks Julia Ann

............I see you're posting from Google. I'd check the Help section for
posting questions.

Old January 7th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Vet sent biopsy to Pathology and cultured it. She told me today there
is now osteomyllitus of the bone. 5-6 weeks ago the bone was clear.
This is fast moving whatever it is. Still could be infection or
Cancer. I cant see it being infection when she has been on TWO
antibiotics and now on third one....and the lump got bigger.....Will
know soon....

rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 December 19th 05 06:36 AM
rec.pets.dogs: German Shepherd Dogs Breed-FAQ Holly Dog info 0 December 19th 05 06:35 AM
Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog health 24 July 31st 05 11:45 PM
Morning Routines Jodi Dog behavior 17 February 24th 05 05:46 PM
light reading dogs giets Alpha Dog behavior 32 March 5th 04 06:22 AM