aspirin or remidyl?

Old July 10th 03, 06:04 AM
Dave

Default aspirin or remidyl?

Rimadyl is more powerful than aspirin, and can be very effective for
arthritis. It's definitely worth the money.
Six years ago our dog Sherman, a Basset/Corgi mix, had arthritis.
Aspirin didn't work, but with Rimadyl he had another 5 years of
comfortable walking. One potential problem with Rimadyl though is that
if it is used long-term it could irritate a dog's digestive tract.
You might give it after meals (so the food will "buffer" it) and see
your vet if there are any digestive changes.

Rosa Palmén wrote:
"wolf" wrote in message
newsS1Pa.51$Bp2.21@fed1read07...

We've been giving our 17 yr old beagle/sheltie mix canine aspirin
morning and night for arthritis, it has worked very well and we haven't
seen any negative side effects.

Our new vet says we should use Remidyl since aspirin can cause very
small ulcerations of the stomach the effects of which might not be
noticeable.

Anyone have any experience with making this choice? Aspirin is lots
cheaper than the prescription stuff and it seems to me if it does the
job with no apparent ill effects we should continue to use it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

wolf

Aspirin is good, but i wouldn't use it for any longer periods of time
because of the ulcer risk, if your dog is just a bit uncomfortable because
of the small ulcers you will probably not notice it, but the dog will!
My old girl gets Rimadyl, and now that we have Rimadyl at home, that is what
i've given the younger dog as well when he has needed painkillers - because
it is supposed to better than aspirin or ketoprofen.
So if you can afford Rimadyl, i say give her that.

Rosa

Old July 10th 03, 10:59 AM
buglady

"wolf" wrote in message
newsS1Pa.51$Bp2.21@fed1read07...
We've been giving our 17 yr old beagle/sheltie mix canine aspirin
morning and night for arthritis,

Anyone have any experience with making this choice?

..........Good discussion of various painkillers at www.bowchow.com Also
check the Senior Dog Project at http://www.srdogs.com/ Rimadyl should not
be given unless your dog has a blood test first to check the liver function.
Any sign of loss of appetitite or black stools and you should discontinue
immediately.

buglady
take out the dog before replying