This Dog is Driving Me Crazy

Old September 19th 04, 09:25 PM
Leah

Default This Dog is Driving Me Crazy

Here's why I'm not ever getting another border collie... :}

Murphy picks her spot and lies there. Hours later, she may toodle on into
another spot, grin hi at me across the room, and settle for another few hours.
Doesn't matter where I go. She's going to make her rounds around the house at
her own pace.

If I get up and move, MacKenzie will be lying beside me as soon as I look down.
But she's surreptitious about it. I don't stumble over her, I don't hear her.
She gets up immediately and moves with me, but she doesn't make a production
out of it.

Drama Queen does. If I even *think* about moving, she jumps up and stares
intently into my eyes, possibly even whining under her breath. If I actually
get up, she believes it's her job to show me the way. "Here, mom, the
bathroom's over here - hey hey, where ya going, the bathroom's over here - oh,
okay, the kitchen, well that's this way, hurry, come on!" And once I get to
where I'm going, instead of settling down at my feet, she's got to know what
I'm going to do. "Are you cooking? Taking out the garbage? Oh, you went near
the drawer with the garbage bags, let me dance all around the door because I
just can't *wait* to go show you the way to the garbage can, whee!!! Oh, wait,
you didn't open the drawer, but you took something off the counter - what is
it, can I see?"

I haven't taken Madigan to work with me for over a week, and MAN, does it show.
An understimulated border collie is a lesson in tolerance. She will be coming
to class all next week.

This is why I never wanted children. I don't *want* anybody that dependent on
me. Sometimes I want to tell her to go find some other family to annoy.

I adore Madigan, but my next dog will NOT be this combination of intelligence
and high energy. Love to see them in my classes, love to see them go home with
their owners. :}

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life: