how often do puppies need to poop?

Old October 4th 04, 04:06 PM
MauiJNP

Default how often do puppies need to poop?

I have a young toy poodle who is about 14 weeks old. I wanted to know how
often he needs to go out to poop. I take him out to pee every hour but I
don't know which times he should also be pooping, certainly not every hour?
I try to take him out after he eats his food or gets treats but he has
access to his food all day long so its hard to know when he is or isn't
eating and how much he eats (so I know if its enough to make him go poopy).
Also, when its bedtime, I take him out around 2:30 am (after he has been cut
off from food for several hours) to do his business before bed (yes we stay
up late) he doesn't go poopy but he did at around midnight so I figure thats
ok. Then he wakes me at 4am to go out poopy. So, why does it seem that he
can only go 4 hours between poops when he doesn't eat anything at all in
between? Is this normal? How can I get him to go further in between? I
want him to be able to sleep at least 6 hours without needing to poop if
possible. Thanks for any info.

Jenny