Help. Occasional aggresive behaviour showing in peacfull

Old February 21st 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Andy

Default Help. Occasional aggresive behaviour showing in peacfull

about a month ago I became the dad of Jack. Hes had what must have
been a troubled beginning to his life. He's about 3-4 years and
originally came from a rescue home, although not directly to me.
I got him from someone else who rescued him, but he didn't get on with
the dog she already had. after this he was "trialled" at several other
places until settling with me. Up until recently he's been fine, well
behaved and well mannered. Pretty much a perfect temperement.

The last few days though I've noticed this getting a little more
erratic. He can be fine with one person for a second and then changes
his mind and barks at them for no reason.

Today though, I can't explain his actions. We were walking home
casually, after his daily walk, when I lost my grip on his lead and he
started barking at a couple across the road. He then dived after them
barking and jumped up at one of them in a threatening manner. I was
able to grab his lead and walk him away, but needless to say I was
left a little shaken from what appeared to be an unprovoked attack.
He has also been exhibiting signs of, what I've recently learnt is,
seperation anxiety.
I live alone, and Jack see's me briefly in the morning, at lunch and
then for the evening. I walk him daily when I get home from work, with
longer walks on the weekend.

If anyone can explain this behaviour and/or suggest a remedy, I would
be much obliged..
Many thanks,

Andy.

Old February 21st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article .com,
"Andy" wrote:

Today though, I can't explain his actions. We were walking home
casually, after his daily walk, when I lost my grip on his lead and he
started barking at a couple across the road. He then dived after them
barking and jumped up at one of them in a threatening manner. I was
able to grab his lead and walk him away, but needless to say I was
left a little shaken from what appeared to be an unprovoked attack.

Besides walking him away, what did you DO? What caused you to lose your
grip on the leash?

He has also been exhibiting signs of, what I've recently learnt is,
seperation anxiety.

What signs?

If anyone can explain this behaviour and/or suggest a remedy, I would
be much obliged..

More information, but an in-person evaluation and training is what is
advised.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 21st 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 21 Feb 2007 11:57:59 -0800, "Andy"
wrote:

about a month ago I became the dad of Jack. Hes had what must have
been a troubled beginning to his life.

Based on what information?

He's about 3-4 years and
originally came from a rescue home, although not directly to me.
I got him from someone else who rescued him, but he didn't get on with
the dog she already had. after this he was "trialled" at several other
places until settling with me.

What happened at those places?

Up until recently he's been fine, well
behaved and well mannered. Pretty much a perfect temperement.

Have you had a vet examine him yet?

Have you been OBEDIENCE TRAINING him?

The last few days though I've noticed this getting a little more
erratic. He can be fine with one person for a second and then changes
his mind and barks at them for no reason.

Today though, I can't explain his actions. We were walking home
casually, after his daily walk, when I lost my grip on his lead

How exactly did that happen?

and he
started barking at a couple across the road. He then dived after them
barking and jumped up at one of them in a threatening manner. I was
able to grab his lead and walk him away, but needless to say I was
left a little shaken from what appeared to be an unprovoked attack.

Do you have any previous experience with dogs? Caring for them?
Training them?

He has also been exhibiting signs of, what I've recently learnt is,
seperation anxiety.

For example? And how did you become familiar with the term
"separation anxiety"?

I live alone, and Jack see's me briefly in the morning, at lunch and
then for the evening. I walk him daily when I get home from work, with
longer walks on the weekend.

That's almost certainly not enough daily interaction with a dog who
apparently suffers from various behavior problems.

What breed is he? Mixed?

If anyone can explain this behaviour and/or suggest a remedy, I would
be much obliged..

My recommendation is to:

Have a professional trainer/behaviorist take a good, hard look at him
and then give you his opinion. It needs to be done in-person,
hands-on.

It's difficult enough to *maintain* a normal, well-balanced dog when
he doesn't get to spend more time with his owner than he is spending
with you currently, much less to expect much improvement from a dog
with already existing problems.

Some good OBEDIENCE TRAINING might go a long way here, but he (and
you) might need the help of a profession trainer/behaviorist to get to
where you need to be.

Are you willing to make a life-long commitment to this dog?

If not, you'd be doing the dog a favor to find the dog another home,
preferably in a home where he'll get a lot of individual attention
from experienced dog people.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Obamination?
http://howardwasright.com/index.php/site/more/458/
Old February 22nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Andy

Thanks for your quick responses....
In answer to the questions.

# I lost grip of his lead as I was changing hands. He was extremely
calm and he showed no sign of any distress at the time. e wasn't
pulling on the lead or anything. Nothing seemed to startle him and as
far as can remember, the people were just walking past.

# I base his troubled upbringing assumption on the fact that he's been
trialled in several homes already and he came from a rescue home.

# I picked up the seperation anxiety phrase when I was investigating
on Google methods I could use to try and calm him down when I leave.
He follows me around the house, and whines when I leave him alone.
this only appears to have been something he was doing when I initially
got him for the first couple of weeks. He's calmed down a lot the last
few days when I leave him now.

# I last had a dog about 10years ago. It has been while I know.

# His breed is a Labrador crossed with something else. Not sure
exactely what, can only go by what he looks like.

Can anyone reccomend some obedience schools in the South Wales area
that I could get in touch with?

Cheers,
Andy.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On 21 Feb 2007 11:57:59 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

The last few days though I've noticed this getting a little more
erratic. He can be fine with one person for a second and then changes
his mind and barks at them for no reason...

I can't match the recommendations that have already been given. I just
want to thank you for accepting a dog that has already been passed
around far too much. In his paws, most of us would probably have
separation anxiety, too. I hope you will remain committed to being the
friend this dog deserves.

I don't why he went after the two people you mentioned, but dogs like
your dog go through a lot before you meet them. Who knows: maybe he had
a bad flashback. Maybe he is afraid everyone is coming to take him away
from the only security he knows. During this episode with the couple,
did you send any signals to your dog: either verbally and/or through his
leash? A certain professional rehabilitator says you can transfer
tension or tranquility down the leash, to your dog. I don't fully
understand how that works, but I do believe it is true.

You said that he barked at the couple "for no reason." I believe dogs
always have a reason for their barking. We might not know their
reason--and sometimes its not a good reason--so, I always say "for no
*apparent* reason."

A month might seem like a long time to you, but some dogs require months
or even years to recover from mistreatment. So, please, be patient and
diligent. I had a shelter Sheltie that took a month before he'd sleep in
the same room with me. On the lighter side, I have a 60#, male Chow Chow
and a female Chow Chow-Pekingnese half his size--both from the shelter.
It took them nine months to figure out they could play with one another!
:-) They love it!

Does your dog have run of the apartment, when you're away? Does he have
any chew toys? Ever leave the radio on for him?

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old February 22nd 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Andy

On 22 Feb, 15:28, Michael A. Ball wrote:
On 21 Feb 2007 11:57:59 -0800, "Andy" wrote:
I can't match the recommendations that have already been given. I just
want to thank you for accepting a dog that has already been passed
around far too much. In his paws, most of us would probably have
separation anxiety, too. I hope you will remain committed to being the
friend this dog deserves.

Thankyou.
I'm only just beginning to hear about the number of other homes he's
been through. And from what I understand the last home he had the only
instances were when he got startled by someone stepping out of the
darkness he didn't see.

I don't why he went after the two people you mentioned, but dogs like
your dog go through a lot before you meet them. Who knows: maybe he had
a bad flashback. Maybe he is afraid everyone is coming to take him away
from the only security he knows. During this episode with the couple,
did you send any signals to your dog: either verbally and/or through his
leash? A certain professional rehabilitator says you can transfer
tension or tranquility down the leash, to your dog. I don't fully
understand how that works, but I do believe it is true.

A flashback might explain it. It was getting dark at the time. I shall
continue to think calming thoughts down his leash then. Who knows, I
have heard of thought transference things before now. especially
between close people. Someone I know suggested that dogs may have a
kind of sixth sense that warns them of danger, maybe he sensed
something scally about the people.

One other thing I've thought of. Just before I had him, he had been
"castrated". So maybe hormones have something to do with it.

You said that he barked at the couple "for no reason." I believe dogs
always have a reason for their barking. We might not know their
reason--and sometimes its not a good reason--so, I always say "for no
*apparent* reason."

Good point I should have said no 'apparent' reason...

Does your dog have run of the apartment, when you're away? Does he have
any chew toys? Ever leave the radio on for him?

He has full run of the downstairs of my mid terraced house. I leave a
radio on in the kitchen for him. I'm yet to find a descent chew toy
that will last more then a couple of days, lol.
Up until the last few days hes always been aggitated when I leave him
the run of the house. I'm guessing that phase is almost past now.
I'll be off to the vet with him soon to get his microchip updated.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on him over the next week and if
he does it again, see if theres any pattern.

Cheers, Andy.