dog poop on lawn

Old July 22nd 03, 01:14 AM
nosredna

Default dog poop on lawn

I've read several discussions (on this group and elsewhere) about how to
deal with dog poop on my lawn. The other day I thought I was going to
vomit as I raked some fresh yellowish orange stuff off into the street
(it crumbled and I ended up stepping in it anyway). I've never seen a
dog doing his business, so I can't talk to the dog owners about it. From
the look of the deposits, it seems that more than one dog is involved. I
don't blame the dogs--they're just being dogs--it's their irresponsible
owners that irk me. Some of them (even people on this group) seem to
think their dogs are gods. Like, "Little Poochy can't be denied his
freedom--don't you dare speak out against his right to poop wherever he
wants to." The area in question is the strip of grass between the
sidewalk and the street. I've heard people on this group say it's okay
to let a dog use that strip of grass because it's public property. These
people seem unaware that many people have to park on the street and need
to walk on that strip of grass to get to their houses. I cannot see
what's out there at night, so I'm constantly stepping in the stuff. I've
researched dog repellant sprays, but after pricing a few, I figure I'd
have to spend at least $30 a month on the stuff. This is a ridiculous
proposition to me, especially since I don't own a dog, and if I did, I
would not let it do its thing wherever it pleased. I'm thinking of
having it paved, which is also ridiculous to me (to have to spend
hundreds of dollars because of irresponsible dog owners), but I guess
this is my only alternative. Then I'll probably have to put up a fence
on my property side of the sidewalk, since the dogs will probably start
pooping over there once the grassy strip is gone. Or do dog owners
actually let their dogs poop on sidewalks too?
Old July 22nd 03, 02:17 AM
montana

nosredna wrote:

I've read several discussions (on this group and elsewhere) about how to
deal with dog poop on my lawn.

In my city, it is law that dog owners must pick up after their dogs. We
are also not allowed (by zoning) to fence our front yards. I would
probably look into how much a motion activated lawn sprinkler costs.
Other than that, video cameras would be an expensive option, but you'd
have the miscreants on film.

If people won't pick up poop, they still won't pick up poop on pavemant.
I don't know of any dog repellants that work. I'd also ask the local law
enforcement about how much trouble I could get into spraying these
knuckleheads with a hose.
Old July 22nd 03, 03:28 AM
Sionnach

"nosredna" wrote:
I've heard people on this group say it's okay
to let a dog use that strip of grass because it's public property.

Yep. What you have NOT seen, however, is anyone on this group saying it's
okay to LEAVE THE POOP. "Ok to use" and "ok not to pick up the poop" aren't
the same thing, yanno.

do dog owners
actually let their dogs poop on sidewalks too?

Where the dog poops isn't really the issue, as I suspect you know. The
issue is whether or not the owner cleans up after the dog.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:31 AM
nosredna

montana wrote:

In article ,
nosredna wrote:

I've read several discussions (on this group and elsewhere) about how to
deal with dog poop on my lawn.

In my city, it is law that dog owners must pick up after their dogs. We
are also not allowed (by zoning) to fence our front yards. I would
probably look into how much a motion activated lawn sprinkler costs.
Other than that, video cameras would be an expensive option, but you'd
have the miscreants on film.

If people won't pick up poop, they still won't pick up poop on pavemant.
I don't know of any dog repellants that work. I'd also ask the local law
enforcement about how much trouble I could get into spraying these
knuckleheads with a hose.

The sprinkler idea is not an option. I don't want to get sprayed every
time I get into and out of my car. So, do dogs choose to poop on a
sidewalk or do their owners steer them to the next grassy area? I was
trying to think of a repellant idea and I thought of laundry soap
(powdered). It seems that dogs would hate the smell of Tide sprinkled on
the lawn. Of course, when it rained, I'd have suds all over. It just
makes me mad that I have to spend time on this, all because of
inconsiderate people who think their dogs are gods.
Old July 22nd 03, 03:49 AM
montana

nosredna wrote:

So, do dogs choose to poop on a
sidewalk or do their owners steer them to the next grassy area? I was
trying to think of a repellant idea and I thought of laundry soap
(powdered). It seems that dogs would hate the smell of Tide sprinkled on
the lawn. Of course, when it rained, I'd have suds all over. It just
makes me mad that I have to spend time on this, all because of
inconsiderate people who think their dogs are gods.

Our dogs prefer gravel, but they like to poop on grass. They don't
really care that much. We have three dogs and I completely agree with
you about the inconsiderate owners. You could probably put the sprinkler
on a timer, so it would shut off around the time you get home. Wish I
could give you better advice, but you may also want to check out
google.com and do a "groups" search and see what has been recommended
before.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:29 AM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:14:32 -0400 nosredna whittled these words:

snip intro
Some of them (even people on this group) seem to
think their dogs are gods. Like, "Little Poochy can't be denied his
freedom--don't you dare speak out against his right to poop wherever he
wants to."

Wow - that's shocking. Perhaps you could post an example. There is
exactly one person here I might imagine would say anything remotely like
that. An example would be much appreciated.

The area in question is the strip of grass between the
sidewalk and the street. I've heard people on this group say it's okay
to let a dog use that strip of grass because it's public property.

That's another one that surprises me. I really need to see who here has
ever said such a thing.

snip

Are these dogs with their people or wandering loose? Are your neighbors
experiencing similar problems? How about getting together, sharing
information and coming up with a common solution. Check with your local
animal control or humane society about what laws or local regulations
might be helpful to you.

Diane Blackman
Old July 22nd 03, 05:41 AM
Sionnach

.. An example would be much appreciated.

The area in question is the strip of grass between the
sidewalk and the street. I've heard people on this group say it's okay
to let a dog use that strip of grass because it's public property.

That's another one that surprises me. I really need to see who here has
ever said such a thing.

Several of us have said it's preferable to have the dog poop there rather
than on people's private lawns. IOW, if you're walking the dog, and you have
no choices but lawn, sidewalk, or verge, verge is preferable. Of course,
NONE of us has said that it's ok to *leave* the poop there, which is where
Anderson's little diatrabe gets silly.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:03 AM
nosredna

"Sionnach" wrote:

wrote:

. An example would be much appreciated.

The area in question is the strip of grass between the
sidewalk and the street. I've heard people on this group say it's okay
to let a dog use that strip of grass because it's public property.

That's another one that surprises me. I really need to see who here has
ever said such a thing.

Several of us have said it's preferable to have the dog poop there rather
than on people's private lawns. IOW, if you're walking the dog, and you have
no choices but lawn, sidewalk, or verge, verge is preferable. Of course,
NONE of us has said that it's ok to *leave* the poop there, which is where
Anderson's little diatrabe gets silly.

I read the archives on this subject, and they go back to around 1996.
You probably don't remember them because they're not all recent posts. I
do get the impression from many dog owners here that you have to "gently
ask" people to clean up their mess. Like you have to walk on eggshells
around them when they're clearly being blatantly inconsiderate. As I
said in my original post, I've never seen any of the dogs or their
owners while the poop is being deposited, so I can't gently confront
them. The stuff just appears at various times during the day. Sometimes
a few days go by with no deposits; then there will be three in one day.
Different sizes, different colors, so I'm assuming there's more than one
dog involved. I have seen people walk down the street with their dogs.
Some of these same dogs might be the perpetrators. A few times I've said
to the dog, "Doggie, are you the one who leaves presents on my lawn?"
Today I did that, and the owner laughed and said, "Oh, no, not us." (But
who would admit it???) Even if I did find out who was letting their dog
doing it, I'm irked that I even have to say anything. It seems like
common sense to clean up after your dog. I'll bet they clean their own
yards. It's that attitude that is so perplexing. It's similar to
cigarette smokers who wouldn't think of throwing "normal" litter on the
street but who will throw cigarette butts down, as if that's not litter.
Okay, end of rant. I'm beginning to think there's no solution to this
dog problem. Again, I'm not blaming the dogs--they're just being dogs.
Old July 22nd 03, 11:38 AM
Bethgsd

nosredna wrote:

A few times I've said
to the dog, "Doggie, are you the one who leaves presents on my lawn?"
Today I did that, and the owner laughed and said, "Oh, no, not us." (But
who would admit it???) Even if I did find out who was letting their dog
doing it, I'm irked that I even hav
to say anything. It seems like
common sense to clean up after your dog. I'll bet they clean their own
yards.

Or they could be like my neighbors who walk their dog at the church and around
the street (dead end) and let him use other places rather than mess up their
yard. And no, they don't clean up. It must have gotten back to them though,
that if I ever found their dog's poop in my yard again it was going on their
front porch.

Beth, who cleans up after her dogs and checks the neighbors' yards for errant
cat poop too.
Old July 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Krishur

You could put in a 2' stick-in-the-ground removable fence or a little sign
that says "clean up after your dogs".

Kristen

"nosredna" wrote in message
I've read several discussions (on this group and elsewhere) about how to
deal with dog poop on my lawn.

snip for brevity