Interested in Labradoodle; want opinions

Old November 3rd 03, 05:16 PM
Logan

Default Interested in Labradoodle; want opinions

Hi,

I am a long time labrador owner and fan, but my wife has serious
allergies. After my last labrador passed away we have been hard at
work trying to figure out which breed of dog would be best for us. We
were interested in the wheaten terriers for a while, but I'm worried
that, after having labradors, I will find a wheatie they too hard
headed and difficult to train. Also, we are not interested in having
to have our dog regularly groomed. This requirement seems to rule out
standard poodles too. Having finally figured out that the labradoodle
might be a good option, I began to look a little further into them,
and found a breeder that seemed very intelligent and helpful. I have
also seen a lot of posts to this group over the past year that are
very negative towards the labradoodles; people that are amazed that
anyone would fork over $1000 for a mixed breed. My question then is,
what are other good options? I would love to pay less, or rescue a dog
from a shelter, but am worried about taking chances that might
endanger my wife's health or well-being. Any responses and opinions
are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Logan
Old November 3rd 03, 05:26 PM
Emily Carroll

"Logan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

people that are amazed that
anyone would fork over $1000 for a mixed breed. My question then is,
what are other good options? I would love to pay less, or rescue a dog
from a shelter,

First, remember that a Labradoodle is a *cross* between a Poodle and
Labrador. It could inherit characteristics from either parent, or combine
them, but there is no guarantee. You might get a Labradoodle that is very
similar to a Poodle in temperament but has a Labrador coat--the thing you
are trying to avoid.

A poodle would probably suit you better. Yes, they do require more grooming
than a Lab, but any breed that doesn't shed will require grooming. You can
also have it clipped down fairly short, which will help with the grooming
time.

--
Emily Carroll
Dealing 80s Toys - Rainbow Brite - My Little Pony - More

---

Old November 3rd 03, 06:29 PM
Suja

Logan wrote:

standard poodles too. Having finally figured out that the labradoodle
might be a good option, I began to look a little further into them,
and found a breeder that seemed very intelligent and helpful. I have
also seen a lot of posts to this group over the past year that are
very negative towards the labradoodles; people that are amazed that
anyone would fork over $1000 for a mixed breed.

The problem with mixed breed dogs in general is that it is hard to
predict what you're going to get. For example, I have what is suspected
to be a GSD - Malamute mix. He has German Shepherd coloring, but has
the Malamute structure, and is quite a handsome dog. His temperament is
somewhere between the two, smart and trainable, but butt-headed and
independent. I've looked long and hard on Petfinder to see if any other
purported GSD - Mal (or Husky) mixes look anything like him, and in 2
1/2 years, have found one that comes close. A Poodle- Lab cross could
yield dogs that very quite a spectrum in both looks and temperament.
I've only ever seen one labradoodle, and it was a big, shaggy looking
beast with longish wavy coat. The owner said that the dog didn't shed
much, but the coat maintenance was hell.

The bigger problem for me is that the people who are purposely breeding
these mixes are generally not what I'd consider 'responsible' breeders
(for finding out what to look for in a responsible breeder, check
outhttp://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html) , and are essentially willing to
put together two dogs of the appropriate genders as long as they have
working reproductive organs. There is very little by the way of
consideration for temperament and health (don't believe anyone who says
'Oh, my dogs don't have any health problems), and for all that money
that you're paying, you're not getting a dog that is sufficiently
different from a mutt you'd find in a pound.

My question then is,
what are other good options? I would love to pay less, or rescue a dog
from a shelter, but am worried about taking chances that might
endanger my wife's health or well-being. Any responses and opinions
are appreciated.

If you are willing to get a dog from a shelter or rescue, you can look
for dogs that are known to be less allergenic, or mixes thereof. The
good resues are always up front about the temperament of the dog, and
will help you select one that will be a good fit for your situation. In
addition, you can meet the dog you'll be living with, your wife can
spend some time with the dog, and you might even be able to take the dog
home on a temporary basis, to find out how your wife responds to living
with the dog on a daily basis.

If you are looking for a puppy, perhaps the people here can help you
narrow down the breed if you will post your requirements (other than the
allergen factor).

Good Luck,

Suja

Old November 3rd 03, 07:47 PM
PErcoli

Hi,
I've seen numerous Labradoodles and Goldendoodles and they are the product of
one parent being a lab or golden and the other a standard poodle. I know a few
owners of both "breeds" and they say they still shed and they were getting them
with the purpose being hypoallergenic and they are not. Also, many are just
cross breeds and from parents with no health clearances. It is not like Labra
and Golden Doodles have been bred consistently for 10 generations at least and
therefore, have a cookie cutter distinct look and characteristics. They all
look differently not according to a particular standardized look. They are
extremely expensive for basically a glorified cross breed, as are so many
others,i.e. yorki poo, malti poo, shi poo, etc.,
In addition to that, Labs and Poodles are two breeds that rank high on the PRA
list for eye abnormalities, so you are looking into getting a dog that can be
potentially blind at an early age, especially since we have no guarantees here
in what is clear or in the ancestors backgrounds for one.
There are lots of other health issues involved in all three breeds that make a
doodle, so in many ways, two wrongs don't make a right and you could have in
addition to an expensive dog a walking vet bill on your hand too.
Anyway, just my opinion.

Paula
Old November 3rd 03, 10:06 PM
Kathleen

Logan wrote:
[...]

Please, please check with your wife's allergist before acquiring ANY
dog. S/he'll tell you that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic
breed. The primary allergen is the dander - pulverized airborne skin
flakes, which are produced by ALL breeds.

Kathleen Hansen
Z-Control Skid Boots
Leg armor for gonzo dogs!
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

Old November 3rd 03, 11:06 PM
EGD

"Kathleen" wrote in message

Please, please check with your wife's allergist before acquiring ANY
dog. S/he'll tell you that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic
breed. The primary allergen is the dander - pulverized airborne skin
flakes, which are produced by ALL breeds.

Kathleen Hansen
Z-Control Skid Boots
Leg armor for gonzo dogs!
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

.....and also no non-shedding breeds. All animals with hair shed it at some
point.
Whether or not it is "seen" as shedding or not shedding, depends upon
whether the loose shed hair is caught in the coat and therefor doesn't fall
to the ground where it is noticed, or, as in the case of many Poodles, they
are clipped constantly which cuts down on shedding quite a bit.
EGD

---

Old November 4th 03, 06:44 AM
Rocky

Emily Carroll said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

A poodle would probably suit you better. Yes, they do
require more grooming than a Lab, but any breed that
doesn't shed will require grooming. You can also have it
clipped down fairly short, which will help with the
grooming time.

But it should be possible for the owner to learn to do a simple
trim.

To the OP: You mentioned Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers as hard
headed and difficult to train. I've helped train a half dozen
in agility and the ones that I've seen are fairly soft and are
great family pets. Perhaps it's my area and the line(s) of
Wheatens that I'm seeing, but if you haven't already, it might
be worthwhile for you to meet a few.

Labradoodle Orchid Dog breeds 8 September 3rd 03 05:47 PM
Dachshund Opinions C Newlin Dog breeds 5 July 29th 03 06:03 PM