Torn dew claw

Old October 1st 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default To PFoley - Torn dew claw

Lynne wrote:
Since I may adopt a Labrador (or a GSD or a mutt) very soon, what are
the risks for retrievers with in tact dew claws and how can I minimize
them? I'm not a fan of elective surgery of any kind.

Just read the post I missed explaining this. So never mind!

Old October 1st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

Lynne wrote:

This is a very informative thread. I always assumed dew claws should
be removed when pups are first born. I adopted my beagle/hound(?) mix
with dew claws in tact and have always been concerned about them since
we spend a lot of time hiking/running in the woods. She has so far not
had a single issue, and now I'm glad she wasn't mutilated
unnecessarily!

Since I may adopt a Labrador (or a GSD or a mutt) very soon, what are
the risks for retrievers with in tact dew claws and how can I minimize
them? I'm not a fan of elective surgery of any kind.

My husband and I also have had coonhounds for a very long time.
The breed standards for the major coonhound breeds (affiliated
with the UKC registry, in connection with which the breeds were
developed) state that it is a disqualification for a hound to have its
dewclaws removed. We have not seen a hound without dewclaws,
nor heard of a serious dewclaw injury.

These dogs do their work in the woods on dark nights (cloudy or
new moon, usually, as raccoons are less active on moonlit nights).
The footing is often terrible.

I don't know if the difference between retrievers and hounds lies
in the temperament of the dogs, retrievers tending to be physically
heedless and hounds more careful, or the construction of their
feet, or what. It does not surprise me, however, that your hound
mix is capable of running through the woods without injury.

Amy Dahl

Old October 1st 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Amy Dahl wrote:
Lynne wrote:

[...]

She's also a very good rockclimber!! I'm suddenly very happy my girl
still has her dew claws!

Old October 1st 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

diddy wrote:

We discussed removing Tucks when he was born, but he had two siblings (one
died) in precarious danger. We decided it would put their lives in jeopardy
to do any added stress, such as dew claw removal. One died anyway 3 days
later.
If we removed his, this might have caused the mother to lick the one that
was different, causing problems. So Tuck got to keep his. Only thing is,
Tuck is currently training in Search and Rescue. His dew claws stick out
(although are firmly attached) In his breed, they are always firmly
attached, but close lying. His stick out like thumbs. I fear they will
catch and rip. I wish I had removed them when he was born, and if he does
rip them, at somepoint, I will have them both removed. Until that date, he
gets to keep them.

We faced a similar problem with Lucky and Sugar. I think
there was still a third littermate alive on the third day, when
we usually do the dewclaws--maybe more than one. With
the puppies failing as they were, we didn't want to add *any*
stress.

We waited. I can't remember what day we eventually did them.
I actually proposed leaving them, but John was adamant.
It was before their eyes opened, and before their dam got
mastitis, which was around day 12.

Amy Dahl

Torn ACL in Airedale ldg38 Dog health 4 July 10th 06 03:30 PM
torn ACL [email protected] Dog health 2 May 7th 06 05:15 PM
torn ligament ???? [email protected] Dog health 4 February 13th 06 12:58 AM
Badly torn toenail Tracy Custer Dog health 2 January 23rd 05 02:12 AM
Bleeding claw montana Dog health 1 December 4th 03 04:21 PM