Home Visit Checklist?

Old September 29th 03, 04:43 PM
Gwen Watson

shelly wrote:

*likely*. they aren't as *likely* to accidentally get out of
an apartment. most apartments--not all for sure!--do not have
direct street access. there is usually an interior hallway or
a courtyard.

There is a BIG demographic difference then.

Around here apartments rarely if ever have a hallway.
Few if any have a courtyard. The doors do open
directly to the roads and streets. I have lived in my
share of apartments in Texas and none had either of the
above.

a part of it, absolutely. a substitute for home checks? i
don't see anything to be gained by *not* doing home checks.

So why did you obtain Harriet out of the newspaper instead of
going through Boxer rescue? There are many boxers in
rescue, especially with ears.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Gwen

Old September 29th 03, 04:52 PM

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Gwen Watson wrote:

the best homes possible, then it's *always* going to be
important to evaluate each individual a little differently.

Actually that has been, from the get go, my precise
point. I do take my dogs to the vet all the time.
She does know me I do train with her, etc.

i don't see how certain rescue groups requiring home visits
maps to your contention that they have a double standard.

My POV has been each individual case not some hardwired rules
in place with little or no flexibility.

rescue groups have a responsibility to find the best,
permanent homes for their animals. there is no perfect,
fool-proof way to ensure that a home is going to be a good
match, but there are things they can do to stack the deck in
the dog's favor. requiring a home check is one of those
things. i *really, really* don't understand why you object so
strenuously to it, especially considering you have no interest
in ever getting a dog via rescue.

Suja claims she looks in yards and if fence is broken, no
dog.

that's a no-brainer IMO. why would anyone in their right mind
place a dog with someone whose fence is broken?

Sally has stated that older GH's or injured can go to
apartments.

yes.

Though she also said that dogs aren't likely to get out of
the only door in an apartment onto a busy street and yet
around here all apartments ARE situated on busy streets. So
that doesn't seem to add up either.

*likely*. they aren't as *likely* to accidentally get out of
an apartment. most apartments--not all for sure!--do not have
direct street access. there is usually an interior hallway or
a courtyard.

And not all houses are even near a busy street, like my
home.

no, they don't. did Sally say her group would not place a dog
in such a home?

I personally think it should be a individual case by case
situation and heavy interviewing would be part of that.

Old September 29th 03, 04:55 PM

Gwen Watson wrote:
With so many dogs dying it sort of bugs me that some rescues
don't realize that there are ppl like you and I out there. Which
in turn, would likely turn those kind of people off from considering
rescue.

If that's what it took to get a dog I wanted from a rescue,
I'd certainly allow someone into my house. The flip side of
what you're saying is that those of us who want to provide
homes for rescue dogs need to show some flexibility, too.

At any rate, both Duncan and Saber were acquired through
rescue, although both were emergency situations and there
was no home visit involved in either case (although they did
call references, etc.).

Is there anything so deadening to the soul as a PowerPoint presentation?
-- NY Times, 29 Sept 2003