breed guess help

Old December 20th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default breed guess help

My husband answered a freebie ad and brought Fidget home 8 months
ago. Original owners said she was sold to them as a pure Australian
Cattle Dog from unregistered parents. I don't know a lot of ACDs, but
she doesn't look anything like the ones I've met. She's now 13 months
old, and an incredible dog, but I still can't decide what else might be
in there.
Fidget stands about 18", and weighs somewhere between 40 and 45 lbs
I think. (She hasn't been weighed since she was 8 months old and my
scale is busted.) Everything I've read tells me she has the behavior
and temperament of an ACD, so no clues there.
I tried to get a decent selection of pictures to judge from but they
aren't exactly perfect show poses. There are some pictures of Ender
and Loki there as well, feel free to admire their great beauty...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587421@N00/sets/1620526/

TIA,

-Jenn

Old December 20th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

peejoe wrote:
[...]

She looks exactly like a Border Collie/ACD cross

Old December 20th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"peejoe" wrote in
:

My husband answered a freebie ad and brought Fidget home 8 months
ago. Original owners said she was sold to them as a pure Australian
Cattle Dog from unregistered parents.

Tail, where is her tail? Has it been docked, or is it a natural bob? If
latter, that narrows down possible parents.

One parent (or a nice percentage of both) is certainly Australian Cattle
Dog. That pattern + color combination is possible in other breeds (well, at
least in Border Collie and English Setter), but it really hints that there
is a good amount of ACD in Fidget. But head shape and ears are totally
wrong. This isn't a purebred ACD, not even a very badly bred one. If it had
tail, ACD x BC would be a very possible combination, just like Ronna
suggested.

Natural bobtail means that one parent is most probably bob too. Mutations
do happen, and two tailed dogs get non-tailed pups every now and then in
several breeds, but still dominant bobtail gene is the most common
explanation for this kind of stump. (Unless it is docked.) That's why I
guess that the other parent is an Australian Shepherd, which would give
both that tail and the "BCish look". So my guess is ACD x Aus Shep.

Liisa
Old December 20th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Ronna wrote:
peejoe wrote:

[...]

The head looks Aussie to me.

Kathleen

Old December 20th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message

and two tailed dogs

Okay, it's been a really chaotic past few days and I'm probably still sleep
deprived but I gotta say this made me giggle. (Thanks. I needed that.)

Don't think I've ever had a two tailed dog.

And yeah, I know what you meant and I don't know how else to have said it
but it did make me read it twice.

~~Judy

Old December 20th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"peejoe" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I don't know a lot of ACDs, but
she doesn't look anything like the ones I've met.

I'm lousy at these games, but ACD, Aussie, and BC are breeds I
know. In my area, one of the more common mixes is ACD/BC - so,
if you'd gotten Fidget from a rescue near here, that's what I'd
say, because some dock ACDs. Plus, BCs are *way* more common
than Aussies here.

OTOH, and as Liisa says, if the tail is a natural bob, Fidget
has got to be ACD/Aussie. I love all three breeds so, in my
opinion, you've got a winner.

Old December 20th 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote in message
"peejoe" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I don't know a lot of ACDs, but
she doesn't look anything like the ones I've met.

I'm lousy at these games, but ACD, Aussie, and BC are breeds I
know. In my area, one of the more common mixes is ACD/BC - so,
if you'd gotten Fidget from a rescue near here, that's what I'd
say, because some dock ACDs. Plus, BCs are *way* more common
than Aussies here.

OTOH, and as Liisa says, if the tail is a natural bob, Fidget
has got to be ACD/Aussie. I love all three breeds so, in my
opinion, you've got a winner.

yeah, some people dock ACD's here too, but it's more of a dock than a bob
(if that makes any sense at all), but i was also thinking ACD/Aussie with
those ears. what a cutie.

-kelly

Old December 20th 05, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message

Tail, where is her tail? Has it been docked, or is it a natural bob?

If
latter, that narrows down possible parents.

I forgot to mention about the tail. It was docked. Apparently
the idjits who bred her had all the pups docked because they were
worried the tails would get frostbite. I gather they were new to
Alaska and not so bright.

snipped good info

That's why I
guess that the other parent is an Australian Shepherd, which would

give
both that tail and the "BCish look". So my guess is ACD x Aus Shep.

Liisa

My personal guess has been either Aussie or BC/ ACD. I knew the
moment I saw her there was no way she was pure, unless there was some
awful strain of poorly bred ACD's I didn't know about. Aussies are
probably a little more common around here, but there are plenty of BC's
around as well.
A few people have said they thought she had some JRT in her. I have
no clue what that mix would look like though, which is why I had to ask.

Thanks,

-Jenn

Old December 20th 05, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote in message

OTOH, and as Liisa says, if the tail is a natural bob, Fidget
has got to be ACD/Aussie. I love all three breeds so, in my
opinion, you've got a winner.

I forgot to mention that her tail is docked. I knew I should have
proof read...

She is a great dog. I've never had a herding breed before, and I
wasn't exactly thrilled when DH brought her home, I was afraid it was
too much dog. I have to say though, that built in recall is a wondrous
thing and working with a dog with her intensity and brains is a blast.
She had a few minor issues when we got her, most were quickly solved
with a lot of exercise and activity. Biggest chore was explaining that
kids were not to be herded and nipped, but she got it fairly quick so no
biggie.

Thanks for your help with the guessing...

-Jenn

Old December 21st 05, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"peejoe" wrote:

A few people have said they thought she had some JRT in her. I have
no clue what that mix would look like though, which is why I had to ask.

I don't think you could get that coloring with a JRT cross, and she
doesn't look even *remotely* JRTish. Plus, I've seen quite a few Border
Jacks, and she doesn't look much like any of them, either.

Jacks are genetically colored dogs with large areas of white overlaid -
it's some variation of white spotting, I forget exactly which one - and I
*think* (I'm sure Liisa will tell me if I'm right or wrong! G) that the
white spotting is dominant.
All the Border Jacks I know have significant areas of white, in any case.