Pregnancy

Old March 31st 05, 01:08 AM
Steve Burrows

Default Pregnancy

Are there any good sites that tell you what to do once your dog is pregnant
and also what to do once she goes into labour? Also the immediate care of
the pups once born.

many thanks

Old March 31st 05, 05:03 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:08:28 +0100 Steve Burrows whittled these words:
Are there any good sites that tell you what to do once your dog is pregnant
and also what to do once she goes into labour? Also the immediate care of
the pups once born.

I don't know of any websites that have sufficient information to keep the
bitch safe. Usually they are too shallow on their information. I have
some books listed on http://dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html#books that
will provide more indepth information. How big a risk the bitch has for a
bad outcome depends upon her breed, the sire, the initial care taken in
the breeding (e.g. brucellosis testing, size matching, pedigree research
for inherited reproductive issues etc.), prenatal care and examination
etc. For example, my herding instructor's bitch recently gave birth.
They were forwarned about a dangerous breech birth by ultrasound/x-rays.
That provided information that dictated the level of supervision and
monitoring of the bitch to prevent her and the puppies from dying. Many
vets have minimal training in whelping so it is a good idea to make sure
yours has lots of experience, or search around for one who does. Having
your dog die is a lousy way to start the day.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old March 31st 05, 11:42 AM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

Pregnancy

Group: rec.pets.dogs.misc Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2005, 1:08am (EST+6) From:
(Steve=A0Burrows)
Are there any good sites that tell you what to do once your dog is
pregnant and also what to do once she goes into labour? Also the
immediate care of the pups once born.
many thanks

Check this out.
http://www.rottie-l.org/pregnant.html

Old March 31st 05, 04:53 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:42:54 -0500 I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite Midis whittled these words:

Pregnancy

Group: rec.pets.dogs.misc Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2005, 1:08am (EST+6) From:
(Steve*Burrows)
Are there any good sites that tell you what to do once your dog is
pregnant and also what to do once she goes into labour? Also the
immediate care of the pups once born.
many thanks

Check this out.
http://www.rottie-l.org/pregnant.html

Yup - It is a good try, but not nearly enough to recognize trouble early
enough to head it off. I'm not going to slam it because it is a
reasonable try. But it isn't nearly detailed enough in the pre-whelping
information and cautions. It is highly targeted toward the one breed. No
complaint, that is what the page is about, but the issues and risks differ
significantly with size and conformation.

THere is a lot missing in emphasis regarding how critical it is to be
present at whleping. Experienced knowledgable caring breeders do
not leave the bitch unsupervised close to whelping. So so is the route to
dead puppies or a dead bitch. Birthing is highly hazardous in nature, and
our modifications of the dog have made it more so. It may be a natural
process but there is a lot that can go wrong. Very few web pages provide
enough information on this, and this page is no exception. THe web pages
that DO provide information on what can go wrong are usually fairly full
of hyperbolye becasue the person has learned the hard way and is trying to
make a point. Unfortunately that tends to make people dismiss it. That
isn't what they want to hear. They want the rosy everything goes right
picture.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old April 1st 05, 09:57 PM
diannes

Steve Burrows whittled these words:
Are there any good sites that tell you what to do once your dog is pregnant
and also what to do once she goes into labour? Also the immediate care of
the pups once born.

I don't know of any websites that have sufficient information to keep the
bitch safe.

There aren't any, of course :-). Even highly experienced breeders who
are working with first rate theriogenologists (vets specializing in
reproduction) lose bitches & puppies on occasion.

But here's the best site I know about breeding for the beginner:

http://www.learntobreed.com

HTH,

Dianne
Old April 2nd 05, 02:16 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

Pregnancy

Group: rec.pets.dogs.misc Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2005, 3:53pm (EST+5) From:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:42:54 -0500 I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite =A0 Midis
whittled these words:
Pregnancy
Group: rec.pets.dogs.misc Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2005, 1:08am (EST+6) From:
(Steve=A0Burrows) Are there any good sites
[...]

Well then maybe more people should know abot this disease called
bucellosis & what happens if a female dog gets pregnant by a male og who
has it & how once that female dog has those puppies which are born
deormed & dead that she's a carrier & spreads it around? I found that
out in the 1960's when my un neutured dog got 3 dogs pregant & all 3
dogs had dead deformed pups. About 5 years ago I wrote to an online vet
& told him about it & he's the one who told me. Back then I didn't have
my own money & my ex husband wouldn't think about paying for spays or
shots. People forget about that disease or don't know about it.
http://search.bay.webtv.net/Search.a...TVXML&v=3D1&x=
=3D26&y=3D14&c=3DUS&q=3Dburcellosis

Old April 2nd 05, 06:34 PM
doglady

My suggestion is to invest in a book called The Dog Owners Home
Veterinary Handbook by Carlsen and Giffen and read the whole thing
concentrating on the chapters of current interest to you.
I also suggest that you find a mentor in your breed who can help you
AND find a vet who will be available to you whenever you might need
help.
Have a good sized bank account to handle emergencies too...