Lab with arthritis?

Old September 1st 03, 01:50 PM
Peppergirl

Default Lab with arthritis?

Hi!
I have a nine year old lab who has arthritis, i've just noticed in the last
few days, her back legs, are starting to slide a bit, anyone else had this?
I thought they just got stiff and hard to walk! Guess not! Has anyone tried
any medication that has helped their best friend????
Thanks!
Peppergirl
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old September 1st 03, 05:44 PM
Tony Dentino

I use Joint Enhancer a chewable pork/liver favor tablets, I get at at
Petmeds.com. It really has helped Katie my 13 yrs old mix. Good Luck

Old September 1st 03, 05:51 PM
Andrea

Best thing that helped my little 14 year old get around was Glucosamine
Sulfate. At first I started giving the powder from inside capsules. Later,
I found a liquid pharmaceutical grade Glucosamine/Condrytin (sp?). Within 3
days she was moving around much better and started running around again.
(Capules work much slower than the liquid, and not quite as well, but they
do help). Prior to trying this stuff, the vet had given me some things, but
none worked that great but some caused very unpleasant side effects. The
vet had also given me some MSM, which has worked wonders on some animals,
but I did not notice any additional improvements in Taff, over what she was
already getting.

Best of Luck!
Andrea

Old September 1st 03, 07:47 PM
JanTGH

Nutro makes a food that contains Glucosamine, get that (for seniors). Also,
you can get glucosamine/chondroiton supplements at the pet store or Target,
or the grocery. Shark cartiledge is supposed to be good.

The best prescription is Adequan.
http://www.luitpold.com/animal_healt...ne/faq/faq.htm

Also, try Cosequin (from your vet).

Etogesic and Rimadyl are newer drugs that are much more effective than
aspirin and for long term use, safer. Like the arthritis drugs people take,
they are expensive (about a dollar a day), but can make a huge difference in
the lives of arthritic old dogs. These are prescription drugs which must be
obtained from a veterinarian. However, do be careful with these drugs. They
can have some severe side effects and have caused death in a small
percentage of dogs.

Old September 2nd 03, 03:51 AM
Supergoof

"Peppergirl" wrote ...
I have a nine year old lab who has arthritis, i've just noticed in the

last
few days, her back legs, are starting to slide a bit, anyone else had

this?
I thought they just got stiff and hard to walk! Guess not! Has anyone

tried
any medication that has helped their best friend????

Murphy is an 11 year-old lab cross who has been on arthritis meds for less
than a year.

She was stiff in the hind legs and limping, especially after exercise.

We tried her on rimadyl but the meat flavouring upset her inflammatory bowel
disease, so now she's on norocarp, which is an anti-inflammatory very much
like rimadyl, plus we get cartrophen shots every 3 months to help prevent
the arthritis from progressing too quickly.

She was like a different dog once she started anti-inflammatories - she
really got her 'bounce' back. We hadn't realised that she didn't have that
bit of extra perkiness until she got it back.

She still had a slight limp until she was given an anti-inflammatory shot
for something else. She lost the limp and hasn't got it back for a couple of
months (though she was a bit stiff when we tried cutting her norocarp back
from 2 to 1 a day; alternating 1 and 2 each day seems to work best, and it
leaves us a little leeway to increase the dose back up to 2 a day in future
if she needs it).

Funny though, when I mentioned to the vet that she'd lost the limp after the
shot, the vet looked puzzled and said something along the lines of "I did
get you to stop the norocarp for a few days, didn't I?" Nope, she hadn't,
which might explain why Murphy's limp disappeared! Sounds like it might be a
bit risky to do that deliberately, but it was a happy fluke all the same.

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old September 2nd 03, 01:14 PM
C A Brown

I"m intrigued with the description of legs starting to "slide". Have you had
this seen by the vet? A common injury for the stifle (knee) is torn cruciate
ligaments. A painful cause of arthritis in the rear legs of dogs is torn
cartilage. The best way to correct either of these two injuries is
unfortunately surgery. It can do wonders for return to function. We've been
there with Molly (4 1/2 yrs Rott x Ridgeback)
She is also getting a combination supplement of Glucosamine, Chondroitin,
MSM and Yucca. We do believe that it makes a difference. The foods that
contain Glucosamine don't have anything like a therapeutic dose in them BTW.
During the acute injury phase Molly received Metacam (Rx) as well.