New mousetrap is Muttley's oyster

Old February 21st 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default New mousetrap is Muttley's oyster

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

"(the)duckster" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

snipped
Complete article at link posted:

http://wral.com/news/local/story/2457173/

In a perfect world, I think this is probably a good idea. In reality,

at
least around here, our various cat support groups are just happy to get
one
adopted. They don't ask, people don't tell. Everyone holds their

breath
and hope the animal gets lucky.

The encouraging news is that with education and awareness, conditions

for
animals continue to improve.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

I posted the article because I thought it was timely. Saw it a couple

days
ago, and thought it addressed a couple other issues that had arisen here

in
the recent past. I've never owned a cat, so I really know very little

about
their containment.

We had cats when I was a young girl, and as I recall they pretty much came
in and out as they pleased and certainly there was no money for
spaying/neutering back then. That was also in the days when the dog went
out with the kids in the morning and didn't come back until dusk. Yes,
times have changed.

I do agree, education and awareness can only bring about
positive changes to the lives of animals.

And I am happy for it. I currently have three dogs of my own and spend
$000's annually for their care and well being. I give to various rescues.
In my professional life as a Licensed Realtor, I have things like puppy mill
banners and rescue links on my personal website.

Without trying to be a "know it all", I preach animal responsibility where
and whenever I can, if not as an animal lover then as a reminder that
unwanted, abused animals are a taxpayer expense.

Although I do wish more funding,
at least locally, could be achieved. The state of and conditions at some

of
the county shelters leaves much to be desired, unfortunately.

Our Animal Resource Center is fairly new and actually pretty nice as far as
places like that go. But like all shelters they continue to be overburdened
with societies castaways. If it's not a pitbull round up, it's a wave of
dumps from the latest Disney movie, PBS series or this year's Westminister
champ.

It'll take about a year, but you can imagine what the beagle rescue people
are thinking: breeders who will ramp up for the demand and the subsequent
wake when people realize that dog isn't for everyone.

Never seems to end...

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Old February 21st 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, "sionnach" wrote in
:

However, taking a glance at posts in a couple of moderated groups,
I'm not
seeing any headers which say anything about approval.

WHat Melinda appears to be talking about is a header that is added to
your message when a moderator of a moderated newsgroup approves the
message.

Most newsreaders hide the majority of the headers that a post has.

Take your post for example. The default set of headers that is shown is:
Subject: New mousetrap is Muttley's oyster
From: "sionnach"
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior

If I wanted to see all of the headers, I have to change to Raw Text
setting, which gives me all of the headers:
From: "sionnach"
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:48:34 -0500

Now if it was a moderated group, it would have another header that
started with:

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli