So..... What did Eugene REALLY mean?

Old July 28th 12, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default So..... What did Eugene REALLY mean?

Thursday afternoon about 4 PM, with the outside temperature at or just
above 100°F, with high humidity, Eugene and Berry demanded to go out.
The deck was in the shade by then, so I let them out that far....
Hoping that Berry would be physically tired by the heat very quickly, I
followed, nail clippers in pocket. That little bitch's nails grow
faster than weeds....

I plopped down in my favorite chair, and adjusted the position of the
ice chest I'd set out to take to a friend. Berry loves to hop up on one
and survey the world. She's about 20-ish pounds and 18 inches.... so
not exactly large, and most of her height is legs, which, as Dad used to
say, go all the way up to her uh-huh.
Perfect for doing her nails, with me sitting....

Indeed, she soon bounced onto "her" cooler. I snagged a front foot and
as she wiggled, I was starting to get my wiggles and hers synchronyzed
when the smaller Eugene trotted up and stood even with Berry's back legs
and started his play-wrestle cussing and swearing. Berry turned head
and neck around to see what he was up to and I quickly got the four
toenails clipped.... not the dew claw.... But that was pretty good...
and very quick, so I sent them off to beat up on each other (this Must
be done directly in front of the kitchen door). I praised Eugene while
he was snarling and growling.... and he got the first treat.... Berry
got praised and the second treat.

No one has even accused Berry of being particularly bright, and
certainly not a fast learner. She was soon back up on the ice chest,
and I was back to synchronyzing our wiggles, holding her other front
foot. Eugene reappeared in the same spot, reprising his cussing and
swearing. Berry turned head and neck to see what he was up to This
time, and I got that foot and both dew claws done in record time.
Praise all around during, and treats after....

Knowing Eugene's less than favorable thoughts about the nail clippers,
I'm not stupid enough to think that he thought he was helping me....
More likely he was warning Berry that I was about to kill her.... But,
oh my, it certainly is Fun to fantasize! And it was very comical to
watch....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 2nd 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
Thursday afternoon about 4 PM, with the outside temperature at or just

above 100°F, with high humidity, Eugene and Berry demanded to go out.
The deck was in the shade by then, so I let them out that far....
Hoping that Berry would be physically tired by the heat very quickly, I
followed, nail clippers in pocket. That little bitch's nails grow
faster than weeds....

100 degrees F!! How do you cope!

Dibby is a wuss at having his nails trimmed but Pip is not so bad if I
have plenty of
liver treats.

Old August 3rd 12, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Huh..... I cope because I don't have any choice unless I move farther
North where there is Winter and snow.......

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA