Akita - False heat? Please help

Old March 9th 05, 12:58 AM
ShaWin

Default Akita - False heat? Please help

I have a one year old Akita. I adopted her from the local rescue
shelter about 6 months ago. When I adopted her, she had a fresh scar
from being 'spayed'. At only 4 months, I thought that was a little
early but thought nothing of it.

For the past week or so, her vagina has swollen to 4 times it's normal
size, and I have come across tiny drops of blood on the floor. She is
urinating normally but is cleaning herself a lot, and humping my other
female dog... I have never had to deal with a dog in heat before, but
it sure seems like this is what is going on. Any ideas/opinions or
has someone else had this happen? What type of procedure is usually
performed with a spay? Could there still be hormones in her body
making her act this way?? Is that even possible? So many questions!!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sharon and "Kaida"-Woof!!
Old March 9th 05, 05:22 AM
flick

"ShaWin" wrote in message
om...
I have a one year old Akita. I adopted her from the local rescue
shelter about 6 months ago. When I adopted her, she had a fresh scar
from being 'spayed'. At only 4 months, I thought that was a little
early but thought nothing of it.

No, that isn't too early for spaying. There's no good medical reason to
allow a female dog to go into heat even once before the operation is done,
or to allow her to reach a certain age. Some shelters and vets will do
spays and neuters earlier than 4 months, from what I've read.

For the past week or so, her vagina has swollen to 4 times it's normal
size, and I have come across tiny drops of blood on the floor.

You need to get her to the vet, pronto. It's certainly possible that her
spay wasn't performed correctly, although this is rare, or she could have
other health problems, some of them serious. In any case, she needs to be
seen by a vet ASAP.

She is
urinating normally but is cleaning herself a lot, and humping my other
female dog... I have never had to deal with a dog in heat before, but
it sure seems like this is what is going on.

Dogs will hump each other as part of saying who's the "top dog" in the
group. It's got nothing to do with sex. This is normal behavior in
multiple-dog households, and nothing to worry about.

Any ideas/opinions or
has someone else had this happen? What type of procedure is usually
performed with a spay?

The uterus, ovaries and tubes are completely removed.

Could there still be hormones in her body
making her act this way?? Is that even possible? So many questions!!

All good questions. She wouldn't have had many hormones at 4 months of age,
and they would be pretty much gone 90 days or so following her spay surgery.

flick 100785

Old March 9th 05, 06:21 PM
ShaWin

Thank you so much. I am taking her in to the Vet today, to get some
blood tests , I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!
Old March 10th 05, 02:27 AM
ShaWin

The Vet says that indeed, there is estrogen in her blood, and ruled
out any other health problems. It looks like tissue was left after
surgery and will be removed on Friday. Vet says all symptoms are
normal of a dog who is heat.

Thanks for the info!

Akita Puppy Travis Dog breeds 1 November 8th 04 08:05 PM
Akita and smaller dog? Jim Dog breeds 4 September 22nd 04 04:30 AM
heat exhaustion culprit Dog behavior 0 January 23rd 04 08:04 AM
heat exhaustion culprit Dog behavior 0 January 23rd 04 08:04 AM
heat exhaustion culprit Dog behavior 0 January 23rd 04 08:04 AM