I am a cruel and heartless pet owner

Old January 14th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Default I am a cruel and heartless pet owner

Okay, I am a horrible, cruel, and heartless pet owner.

We've had 2" of sleet that has now been covered by 1/4" of solid ice. My
back yard has a bit of a slant to it, from right to left. On the left
side, by the fence, is a big red rock. Zipper's favorite pee place. So
he toddles out the door to go to his favorite pee place. He gets to the
middle of the yard and starts sliding. Amazingly self-posessed, he
simply stiffens his legs and slides down the slope. BONK. He hits the
rock. Hey! I'm at my spot! So he proceeds to try to lift his leg. Tries
the left leg. Does the splits. Hmmmm. Slides to the far side of the rock
and tries his right leg. Does the splits. This goes on for 2-3 minutes.
Finally, Zipper stops, gives the rock the hairy eyeball, snorts, and
decides he can find somewhere nicer to pee.

So off he goes, but instead of coming back closer to the house, where
the ice is thinner, he strikes for the back corner of the yard. Slipping
and sliding every step. Every few steps he'll stop, sniff, and try to
lift his leg. And do the splits.

Poor little guy, he just can't figure it out. It's like he's thinking
"hmmm. This has always worked for me before!"

And all I could do was stand at the kitchen window laughing like a
hyena. I am truly mean and heartless.
Old January 14th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:30:23 GMT, Robin Nuttall wrote:

And all I could do was stand at the kitchen window laughing like a
hyena. I am truly mean and heartless.

Apparently so am I. That's hysterical! Worthy of video taping, in fact
(hint! hint!).

--
Lynne
Old January 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

I am truly mean and heartless.

that you are, to tell us this very funny story and then deprive us all of
pictures (or video) to go along with it

Old January 14th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Robin Nuttall wrote:

And all I could do was stand at the kitchen window laughing like a
hyena. I am truly mean and heartless.

I must be too, because I'm ROFL as I read it.

FurPaw

--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old January 14th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Lynne wrote:
on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:30:23 GMT, Robin Nuttall wrote:

And all I could do was stand at the kitchen window laughing like a
hyena. I am truly mean and heartless.

Apparently so am I. That's hysterical! Worthy of video taping, in fact
(hint! hint!).

I don't have a video camera, sorry. I do wish I did, it would have been
worthy of an entry into some sort of "funniest videos" contest.
Old January 14th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:42:18 GMT, Robin Nuttall
wrote:

I don't have a video camera, sorry. I do wish I did, it would have
been worthy of an entry into some sort of "funniest videos" contest.

I don't have one, either. According to some people, that makes me a bad
parent. shrug

But you know what they say, Robin: A picture is worth a thousand words!

--
Lynne
Old January 14th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

On 2007-01-14 13:42:18 -0500, Robin Nuttall said:

I don't have a video camera, sorry.

Most digital cameras and phones will take videos now. FWIW.

Not mine. I'm sort of luddite when it comes to that stuff. I get a phone
to, duh, make phone calls. I have a cell phone, and it does take
pictures. But that's it. My digital camera is a bottom-of-the-line one
that does a sort of okay job, but it works. I've never owned a video
camera. Maybe someday, but it's not on top of my list of priorities.
Old January 15th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

On 2007-01-14 16:37:28 -0500, Robin Nuttall said:

My digital camera is a bottom-of-the-line one that does a sort of okay
job, but it works.

Our $88 dollar camera takes video. We added a 2GB memory card for $29.
That's rock bottom. The camera we took the videos on was $97 plus that
$29 card (from Amazon). That camera takes stills and videos, can be an
MP3 player and I don't know what all else. Target & Walgreen's sell 'em.

But I have a perfectly adequate camera that I bought back in 2002. Nope,
it doesn't take video. OTOH, it works and I'm not going to throw it away.

Someday I may get a video camera. I'm intrigued by the new Canon one
that's less than $100 and plugs right into your USB port. But it's not
even close to the top of my list of things to get.
Old January 15th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

On 2007-01-14 18:37:49 -0500, Robin Nuttall said:

But it's not even close to the top of my list of things to get.

Understood - but they're getting dirt cheap.

$100 for something new when I have a perfectly adequate something old is
a waste of money. Now I'm not near as frugal as my Mom. I don't rinse
out plastic baggies and reuse them. But I can't get something new "just
because." I don't do credit cards any more, which means that every
purchase comes directly out of my account, in full, right now. Brings a
whole nuther perspective to purchases.

Old January 15th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:03:33 GMT, Robin Nuttall
wrote:

$100 for something new when I have a perfectly adequate something old

is
a waste of money. Now I'm not near as frugal as my Mom. I don't rinse
out plastic baggies and reuse them. But I can't get something new "just
because." I don't do credit cards any more, which means that every
purchase comes directly out of my account, in full, right now. Brings a
whole nuther perspective to purchases.

I respect that philosophy. I am the same way, except in the case of my
few hobbies (photography being one of them). I use a credit card for all
of my purchases, but I pay the balance in full every month, so I look at
it as a delayed check.

I recently discovered freecycle.org and am happily recycling things I
don't need anymore. I hate the throw-away mentality of our society. I
recently fixed the ancient toaster oven with my handy soldering iron, and
even though the wheels on my equally ancient dishwasher rack fell off and
moving it when it's full of dishes is a PITA, I figure it's got at least
another 10 years left in it. (Eventually I'll get replacement wheels.)

Too many people I know live on credit, "the Amercian Way," and are
completely unprepared for their financial future. Not that $100 is going
to break the average person, but it's still a lot of money if you stop
and think about it.

--
Lynne