Weather

Old February 11th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Weather

On Feb 11, 1:25 pm, ceb wrote:
(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:foq2qv$f20$1
@panix3.panix.com:

I didn't have to worry
about other drivers doing something unexpected, which I
think is always the biggest problem in funky weather.

Probably true everywhere, but especially true here in the south. They
just haven't had enough practice! (I grew up in the north.)

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes

This year in Michigan we seem to be going back and forth between heavy
snowfall to warm days that melt it all away. As a result, some people
seem to forget how to drive on winter roads every time it thaws.

Nick
Old February 12th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

"bethgsd" wrote in news:Gr5sj.10464$0B2.9670
@trnddc03:

I was out in Louisa, judging a tracking test.

That's very close to me! Maybe half an hour away. (Glad you managed to
remain upright and get home safely.)

Old February 12th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Yesterday
afternoon the temperature plummeted and the wind started
gusting up to 40mph, so I did the natural and right thing,
and hooked the dogs up to the ATV and went for a run.

Our evening walk yesterday was interesting. Mostly because we were totally
unprepared for how windy it was. So, there we were, freezing our butt off,
Khan wanting to run on-leash (running in hiking boots is NOT recommended),
and Pan walking with her eyes all squinted into the wind. In the end, we
took shortcuts to keep Rajesh's ears from falling off (also, to keep what's
left of his hair from flying away), and Khan kept turning back and giving
wistful looks to the all the trail that we opted not to take.

At least your dogs are large enough to stay down in high winds. Peanut
had terrible problems bracing himself, and finally elected to cut his
last walk short...normally he will stay out as long as we'll let him,
and protest about coming in, but last night he let *me* know that he was
done and we would be going in now, thankyouverymuch. (To tell the
truth, he didn't have to work very hard at it. I was pretty well
bundled up but it didn't help much against the wind.)

By
last night the wind had picked up even more and the
temperature dropped to 0F by about bedtime and that's when I
discovered that my tough, cold-adapted dogs have turned into
huge weenies, with Slick even hiding upstairs so he wouldn't
have to go out.

That's funny. Slick ought to have his Husky license revoked. I don't think
it has ever gotten cold enough outside that Khan has not wanted to go out
(It's 19 F outside with a 'feels like' of 6 degrees, and he's outside,
snoozing). Yesterday, he wouldn't come in after going out to pee at night,
and if someone didn't know what was going on, they would've assumed that I
was asking him to come in so he could get his daily beatings.

Heh. That's kind of how Peanut normally acts, too--"No! No! Don't
make me go inside and feed me biscuits!"
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old February 12th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article Gr5sj.10464$0B2.9670@trnddc03,
bethgsd wrote:
I was out in Louisa, judging a tracking test.

What happens when the wind goes crazy? Does it become a lot
harder for the dogs?

Old February 12th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:
"bethgsd" wrote in news:Gr5sj.10464$0B2.9670
@trnddc03:

I was out in Louisa, judging a tracking test.

That's very close to me! Maybe half an hour away. (Glad you managed to
remain upright and get home safely.)

I parsed that as Louisiana, and thought for sure that A) that was
quite a ways for Beth to be going to judge a tracking test and B)
*surely* that wasn't anywhere where you lived.

That is all. As you were, comrades.

--
Shelly
Old February 20th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

bethgsd wrote:
I was out in Louisa, judging a tracking test.

What happens when the wind goes crazy? Does it become a lot
harder for the dogs?

Much harder and most people don't train for it. I've come home from work on
windy days and put in a short track just to make sure my dogs have seen
horrible winds.

Beth

To the weather gods Kathleen Dog behavior 0 December 8th 07 02:47 PM
Cooler Weather Shelly Dog behavior 22 November 7th 07 11:34 AM
Weather Dog D.Currie Dog behavior 0 August 7th 03 10:26 PM