expectations

Old February 15th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default expectations

Tuesday night, I went to Dayton Dog Training with a friend, who mentored me
in dog training way back in the 80's. I belong to Dayton Dog Training,
because I was brought in through another friend, who wanted me to take over
the tracking program. She started me in tracking back in 1990. Her dogs are
all gone, and she's having health issues, and wanted to insure a future in
tracking with Dayton, and brought me aboard. But Dayton is too far to be
practical for me, and I just go down for meetings.

My first friend I mentioned teaches classes in DDTC, and since I rode down
with her, I watched her classes while I awaited my meeting time.

There was a young Golden Retriever that created havoc the moment he walked
into the building. What an idiot!
He drove me nuts.

His idiocy never stopped, until my friend pulled him out as a demo dog.

As soon as she took the leash, she gave no corrections, talked softly, and
asked him to do an exercise. His attitude transformed. He was immediately
soft and supple, His obedience and attention were picture perfect. He was
on a loose leash, She handed back the dog to it's owner, and the dog made a
MR HYDE transformation with the leash transfer.

WHY?

I think it was because my friend EXPECTED success. The owner expected
chaos. The dog lived up to expectations of both handlers.

I think expectations have a lot to do with successful dog training. I think
it's that expectation that makes the magical property between success and
failure. If you don't expect high achievements, you will never get them.

I witnessed the magic of expectations with my friend, as I do in every
class I teach. It's nothing new, it happens in every obedience class around
the country every day. The owners jaws drop in amazement as they watch the
transformation of their dog in the effortless hands of experience.

What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.
Old February 15th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

Just another example of how EVERYTHING travels down the leash.

Judy

Old February 15th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
Tuesday night, I went to Dayton Dog Training with a friend,

snip
I think expectations have a lot to do with successful dog training. I think
it's that expectation that makes the magical property between success and
failure. If you don't expect high achievements, you will never get them.

I witnessed the magic of expectations with my friend, as I do in every
class I teach. It's nothing new, it happens in every obedience class around
the country every day. The owners jaws drop in amazement as they watch the
transformation of their dog in the effortless hands of experience.

What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

Diddy,
My first thought was... you drove to Dayton on Tues. Night?????? Are you
nuts??? In that weather?

But back to topic......... I think you've said it well.
I think lots of people often transfer the expectation of "uh oh... trouble"
and get... well... "uh oh... trouble" in a situation.
I wish I was one of those magic people!

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

And apparently our police dapartment has that magic! Honest to goodness,
this was in the police reports in our local paper yesterday.

"Animal complaint

At 11 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to the 2200 block of Oak St. to assist
the homeowner get her poodle back inside the house. The poodle was
attempting to make friends with an opossum that was in the back yard and
would not listen to the complainant. The responding officer went into the
back yard and advised the poodle to get in the house, at which time it left
the opossum and went for the back door. The complainant gained control of
the poodle and thanked the officer."

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

At 11 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to the 2200 block of Oak St. to assist
the homeowner get her poodle back inside the house. The poodle was
attempting to make friends with an opossum that was in the back yard and
would not listen to the complainant. The responding officer went into the
back yard and advised the poodle to get in the house, at which time it left
the opossum and went for the back door. The complainant gained control of
the poodle and thanked the officer."

That is too funny. My opossum experience has not been all that fun (my
dogs killed 9 of the young 'uns and brought one half dead one in through
the dog door without my knowledge. It died behind something and we had
to try to find where the smell was coming from. Another time, and
adult decided to hunker down right up against my glass patio doors to
the yard. Shooing did not work). I love that the poodle was "advised"
to get back in the house!

--
Janet Boss
Old February 15th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
Tuesday night, I went to Dayton Dog Training with a friend,

snip
I think expectations have a lot to do with successful dog training. I
think it's that expectation that makes the magical property between
success and failure. If you don't expect high achievements, you will
never get them.

I witnessed the magic of expectations with my friend, as I do in every
class I teach. It's nothing new, it happens in every obedience class
around the country every day. The owners jaws drop in amazement as they
watch the transformation of their dog in the effortless hands of
experience.

What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

Diddy,
My first thought was... you drove to Dayton on Tues. Night?????? Are
you nuts??? In that weather?

No, my Friend drove to Dayton on Tuesday night. I rode along with her. We
probably should have cancelled the meeting but it really needed to happen,
as we have a test coming up, and there are loose ends and deadlines that
needed to be met.

If I had driven, I would have left hours later, and been home an hour
sooner. But rather drive in that stuff, I chose to ride with a friend and
pay her gas.

I had a bad experience last time I was in dayton and just felt there was
safety in numbers.

I had left dog club and was traveling in a bad part of town because it's
faster.

As i came to an intersection, I saw a car about 3 blocks down, so I went
ahead and turned on the road and proceeded to the entry to a main highway.
The vehicle three blocks down ZOOMED up on my bumper and began tailgating.
I then took the on ramp to the highway and the car stayed on my bumper. I
took an exit on to a back country rode, and the car continued to ride my
bumper, and I was beginning to think this was not coincidence.
I traveled 40 miles, and then took some back alley streets through a small
town, and this car still followed on my bumper. By this time, I was nervous
and wanted to attract the attention of a cop. I had a cell phone (Turned
OFF) and a gun in the back of my car. I was afraid to stop and get them.

So I ran a stop light, hoping to attract attention from the police. I'd
gladly pay a ticket.
I drove another 15 miles and then ran another red light, and this car
continued to stay on my bumper, running red lights with me.

I went past the road to exit towards my house, and decided I was going to
drive to the county Seat right into the Sheriff's parking lot, and climb on
the horn.

But i passed a car on a back country road, and the car tailing me passed as
well. I then pulled off the berm on the right, while the car was in the
act of passing the other car on the left. I slammed on the brakes, took a
turn, and lost the tailing car. I then meandered back country roads until
I was sure he had lost me, and came on home. I never knew what that was
about, but had decided from now on, If i was going to Dayton, I was going
with someone, so one person can drive, while the other uses the cell phone.

The whole experience was just wierd. Can't get a cop if you try.

Old February 15th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

And apparently our police dapartment has that magic! Honest to
goodness, this was in the police reports in our local paper yesterday.

"Animal complaint

At 11 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to the 2200 block of Oak St. to
assist the homeowner get her poodle back inside the house. The poodle
was attempting to make friends with an opossum that was in the back yard
and would not listen to the complainant. The responding officer went
into the back yard and advised the poodle to get in the house, at which
time it left the opossum and went for the back door. The complainant
gained control of the poodle and thanked the officer."

Sue and Atty

Oh my GOSH.. That's hilarious! I read it to my husband, and he asked.. Are
these people breeding and turning their babies loose on society?
Old February 15th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

And apparently our police dapartment has that magic! Honest to
goodness, this was in the police reports in our local paper yesterday.

"Animal complaint

At 11 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to the 2200 block of Oak St. to
assist the homeowner get her poodle back inside the house. The poodle
was attempting to make friends with an opossum that was in the back yard
and would not listen to the complainant. The responding officer went
into the back yard and advised the poodle to get in the house, at which
time it left the opossum and went for the back door. The complainant
gained control of the poodle and thanked the officer."

Sue and Atty

Oh my GOSH.. That's hilarious! I read it to my husband, and he asked.. Are
these people breeding and turning their babies loose on society?

yup..... I'll never lose my teaching job!
Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

[...]

www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I've been a bit luckier - the baby played possum right in the middle of the
yard lat summer and Atty surprised me with a great "leave it" (Maybe I just
expected it??). The adult the other month was near the border of the yard
when it played possum and Atty wasn't about to go that far out to
investigate, even though she didn't have her invisible fence collar on. But
she did stand guard over it.

Our police reports crack me up - I loved the "advised" part, too. I
remember reading one where they listed exactly how many CD's, tapes, etc.
were stolen, and then proceeded to state that the "dog slept on the floor
during the robbery."

Sue and Atty

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
[...]