strange behaior

Old April 26th 12, 05:18 PM
pomeranianmom pomeranianmom is offline
Junior Member

Question strange behaior

My pom is 12 years old and is acting very strange. She wants me to pick her up just so she can get right back down, then she acts as if she is in heat. She has been doing this for weeks now. she wants her sister to sniff her butt all the time, or she humps anything on floor. shoes, blankets, her food bowl. Not sure what is wrong. I had her to the vet and they find nothing wrong physically. Can someone please tell me how to break her of this or even what is causing it. I am worried about her. Can dogs get worms in the brain or something. I am just scared, she is my baby.
Old April 27th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

Default strange behaior

"pomeranianmom" wrote in message
news

My pom is 12 years old and is acting very strange. She wants me to pick
her up just so she can get right back down, then she acts as if she is
in heat. She has been doing this for weeks now. she wants her sister to
sniff her butt all the time, or she humps anything on floor. shoes,
blankets, her food bowl. Not sure what is wrong. I had her to the vet
and they find nothing wrong physically. Can someone please tell me how
to break her of this or even what is causing it. I am worried about her.
Can dogs get worms in the brain or something. I am just scared, she is
my baby.

Well done for taking her to the vet for a check up. Sorry for asking
obvious questions but has she been spayed and has she done this before at
any time.
What exactly did the vet check , did he do any blood tests?
Ali

Old April 27th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:18:07 +0000, pomeranianmom
wrote:

My pom is 12 years old and is acting very strange. She wants me to pick
her up just so she can get right back down, then she acts as if she is
in heat. She has been doing this for weeks now. she wants her sister to
sniff her butt all the time, or she humps anything on floor. shoes,
blankets, her food bowl. Not sure what is wrong. I had her to the vet
and they find nothing wrong physically. Can someone please tell me how
to break her of this or even what is causing it. I am worried about her.

Assuming she's not actually in heat, and that your vet checked for
that, it could be something called Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome
(because of her age). Or it could be something else. Or it could
even be nothing at all, just a phase she's going through.

Old dogs often "act very strange," and to varying degrees. And there's
pretty much nothing you can do about it, except to "go with the flow."

But please don't panic. Handle this development matter-of-factly
(i.e., don't try to "break" her of it, you'll likely may matters
worse), don't add to her anxiety, while keeping an eye on her. And try
to document her behavior (yes, write it down). It may help a vet
figure it out in the future, if this "new" behavior worsens.

Good luck!

--
Dogman
Old April 27th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Right to all of the above. I have a16 yo terrier who tends to have a
different strange behavior pattern every couple of weeks. Today I found
him standing in his water bowl (back feet) when I went into the dog room
to let them all outside.

Worms in the brain are extremely unlikely.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA