clever dog

Old June 27th 12, 10:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

Default clever dog

see if this works ... the article is full text in pubmed, found it
looking for Gacsi and using the title
Alison
Old June 27th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Harry Bloomfield

on 27/06/2012, canisfamiliaris supposed :
So
what are your current dog's strengths compared with his sister?

He is just so brilliantly laid back all of the time, you can trust him
completely with strange adults and especially kids. His sister would
tend to not bite, but nibble people which would frighten some.

Before these two, we adopted a cocker spaniel bitch. She was very
excitable. She had a habit of climbing up on the settee along side me.
She would rear up and lean on me. Some of the electronics in our home
was destroyed by a near miss lightening strike one night. A week or so
later the insurance companies loss assessor turned up to value the
loss. There we were in the living room discussing the claim and she did
her usual trick of climbing up beside me rearing up and leaning on me.
He chin dropped down on her chest and she sat there staring at him at
the other side of the room, with her big eyes as if straining over the
top of glasses studying him - she just had that look. The assessor just
burst out laughing at her stare and agreed to pay our claim in full.

Dogs - they are all different.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 28th 12, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

On 27 jun, 18:43, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

He is just so brilliantly laid back all of the time, you can trust him
completely with strange adults and especially kids. (snip entertaining stuff) Dogs - they are all different.

He sounds like a great dog! It also sounds like you have done a lot
with him. I am sure you can think your way round his reluctance to
interact with you at home.

Here is a bit more on eyes http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14673195

or McGreevy et al, 'A strong correlation exists between the
distribution of retinal ganglion cells and nose length in the dog`
Brain, Behaviour and Evolution, 2004. It seems it's not just where the
eyes are, but what they are like that allows dogs to watch TV. You
probably understand more than I do about how TVs work, and how it's
due to illusions that fit the human eye.

Alison in Spain