The Resilient Dog

Old August 28th 12, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Default The Resilient Dog

It never fails to amaze me how socially resilient dogs can be. One of
our breeders who is very ill finally reached out to the breed community
for help with rehoming 8 of her adult dogs a few weeks ago. Four
bitches in the 5-6yo range, two in the 14-16 month range, 3 males in the
14-16 month range (about the time the breeder began to slide downhill).
Two of the nearest breeders and the owner's daughter did all of the
preparation, while our rescue VP, who was going to foster whoever needed
same, found homes and set up transport (as far as from Chicago to
Massachusetts).

One of the nearby breeders pulled the one very shy bitch two weeks ago,
to start working on that issue. Then she pulled the one male going to
Wisconsin last weekend, so she could make sure he was ready.... shots,
etc. This little guy, who has never had much individual attention,
turns out to be very bright and extremely social.

The other 6 were moved this weekend. Lovely dogs. Stable temperaments
(which we expected), Wonderful outgoing, curious, playful personalities,
even when seperated from other dogs. Healthy, although a couple of the
younger bitches were a bit too thin. Two of them spent a night with our
VP, then were picked up by one of our transporters where they spent
another night, and tonight they're at a third place, (and will move
again in a couple of days), but popped out of their crates, happy as
could be. The older bitch of the pair was the only one who had
travelled much, and then only to regional shows. Her son, barely even
to the vet.... He met his first squirrel late this afternoon, and knew
just what to do about it.... fortunately a tall fence was handy and the
squirrel survived.

The adoptors who picked up their dogs on Saturday and Sunday are
reporting happy little snorts, behaviors quite normal for age and breed.
Despite most of them having spent far too much time cooped up in crates
as the breeder became weaker. Very different from the two puppymill
kids I've had here in recent years. It's obvious that the breeder did
"quality time" with them, not just "institutional care".

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 29th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_3_]

Jo:

It is always great to hear of a breeder that produces reslient dogs, but
dfficult to hear that the breeder has reached the inevitable end of
their own resilience.
Old August 30th 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pat Chlebowski

Sad to hear that the breeder isn't able to care for the dogs.. Glad to
hear that they all found homes.....

Old August 30th 12, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Hey, Pat! Hi!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 3rd 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pat Chlebowski

Default The Resilient Dog~Jo~

Hi!! Nice seeing you here....I'm lurking..