I Got Bitten Today

Old August 23rd 03, 01:13 AM
Leah

Default I Got Bitten Today

Ironic. This is a high-risk job for bites, and I've come close a couple of
times. But this time it had nothing to do with my work. I was just walking by
the dog. I was actually heading for another dog (a BC puppy), and didn't even
notice this one. I heard a growl, and looked down in time to see her lunge.
If I hadn't jumped back in time, I'd be in the hospital right now. She tore my
pants and gave me a bad scrape above the knee.

Her owner said, "She's never done that before!" I went into the office to
report it and ask what I should do. Then I went out to talk to the owners...
and they were gone.

So all I know is that it was a female red and white aussie. I refused the
rabies treatment. Not gonna go there.

I wonder if "she's never done that before" because she's never had the
opportunity. Most likely this was the poor thing's first trip into a chaotic,
busy environment, and her owners were clueless about how she was reacting to
it.

I didn't think I had to hurry to catch them, because they were sitting outside
the vet's office - a couple with 2 dogs. I assumed they were waiting to see
the vet. So when I came out of the office and they were gone, I went to the
vet tech and told her to watch out for the red aussie. She said, "What red
aussie?"

People. Sigh.

Amazing what a trauma like this does to a person. I felt the bite, but went
into immediate denial that I got bitten. It hurt, but the dog missed me - must
have. Just a pinch. I was unable to talk to the owners right then - just
simply shut down and went into essentials mode... must tell the manager. It
wasn't until I was in his office that I looked down at my leg, and was shocked
to see my pants torn and a real boo-boo there. :}

By the time my head cleared enough to realize I needed the owners to provide
proof of a rabies vaccination (I at first refused to go for medical help), they
were gone.

I feel betrayed. How could a dog do this to ME? I love dogs more than my own
life. I know this is a nonsensical way to feel, and it amuses me in a way that
I feel it. But it's there. And it scares me to know that there was nothing I
could have done to prevent it. I wasn't that close to the dog. I wasn't
paying any attention to her. I could understand if it was a dog I was working
with, if I could point to a mistake I had made that led to it, something I
could learn from. But this was straight out of left field. I can't get my
head around it.

When Madigan bit me, it was a scratch. It bled a lot because it was on my
face, but her intention wasn't to take my nose off. And she could have,
because I didn't even have enough of a clue to jump back. This dog was really
trying to take me down.

I'm sure some of you other trainers and people who worked in vet clinics have
been bitten. Did you get all weirded out, too? Or am I just... weird? :}

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:41 AM
212michael

BWAHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Leah wrote:
[...]

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Old August 23rd 03, 01:45 AM
Chris Williams

I feel betrayed. How could a dog do this
to ME?

It'll happen to me someday, Leah, and I'll feel exactly the same way.
"Didn't you recognize me, dog?"
As to weird. All dogPeople are weird. You have to pass a weirdness
test to belong.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:53 AM
Shannon and Joe

I remember our first trainer, on a home visit, showing me a scar on her
hand. The worst bite she's ever received, she said. It was from a
chihuahua, who had been shoved at her by the owner. (Shove. "Oh, spanky's
very friendly!) The dog bit, and hung on for quite a bit. Her second-worst
bite was from a cocker spaniel. She sticks with the big dogs now - Rotties,
mostly.

You'll get over it, but you won't ever forget.

-Shannon

Old August 23rd 03, 02:48 AM
Andrea

"Leah" wrote:
snip
She tore my
pants and gave me a bad scrape above the knee.

Sorry you were bitten, but least it was just a scrape. I've had dogs sink
in, with four puncture wounds and a mouth shaped bruise for my trouble.
Having a Bullmastiff grab you by the thigh ain't fun.

I feel betrayed. How could a dog do this to ME? I love dogs more than my

own
life. I know this is a nonsensical way to feel, and it amuses me in a way

that
I feel it.

Yeah, when the Bullmastiff got me, that's how I felt too. Didn't help that
the owner was a total a-hole and screamed her head off at me. (I was
standing with my dog, never saw the Bullmastiff walk up beside me, so it's
not as if my dog or I had provoked it in any way, other than by virtue of
breathing.) Oh, but she had to tell me that "Basenjis are nasty". Uh.... my
dog didn't bite anyone, lady.

I got quite a few bites when I worked at the vet's and the groomer's but I
didn't feel at all weirded out by those. The cat/dog didn't like what I was
doing, and let me know. Happens.

You'll feel better soon.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old August 23rd 03, 03:37 AM
DogStar716

This is a high-risk job for bites, and I've come close a couple of
times.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have never been bitten, badly anyway. I've had
some nips, puppyteeth scrapes and over eager treat grabber pinches (those HURT)
but never seriously bitten. The worst one was a white GSD who was pretty shy
and nasty. As I was standing near her with my back to her, I felt a thud on the
back of my calf and saw her slink back. I just kept on talking, then
confronted the owner after class. But that was nothing compared to a real
bite!

My triainer friend had a GSD jump up as she was walking by and he nailed her
in the lip. Put a huge hole in her bottom lip, you could see her teeth through
it. Hit a squirter too, so blood was squirting with her heart beat She
excused herself and went into the bathroom and put some tissue in then
continued the class. She said she was pretty much in shock.

Another PS trainer friend was bitten badly by a 6 month old Cocker Spaniel.
Put a nice hole in her wrist and the owner never said a word...

Shake yourself off and carry on Thats why you get paid the big bucks! G

Dogstar716
Come see Gunnars Life: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/index.html

I Got Bitten Today darrz Dog rescue 2 September 17th 03 08:36 AM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog breeds 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog rescue 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM