I Got Bitten Today

Old September 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
Alpha

Dogs do not love nor hate you, you came into her comfort zone and paid the
price why blame yourself the dog would think no more of it, reality sucks
hey?

--
David Sweeney
STI

www.qk9sarg.org

www.qk9sarg.org

Old September 9th 03, 05:44 AM
Paula

Gwen Watson wrote:

Mary Healey wrote:

Robin Nuttall wrote:
To me,it's just as offensive to breed for *only* working ability as it
would be to breed for *only* drive or *only* a perfect head. Even
breeding only for genetic health is bad, beause it ignores working
ability and structure.

I'd argue that it's more offensive to breed for *only* working ability.
A sound, healthy dog without a drive in its character is useless and
possibly inconvenient, but the dog doesn't care. A dog with a lot of
working desire, whose instincts write checks its body can't cash, is
misery on 4 legs and painful to watch.

Yes, working ability is important, but only to the extent that the dog's
structure and genetic health allow it to be expressed.
--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,

I agree 100%. And if there are breeders breeding BC's and not testing
their elbows and complaining it isn't in their lines, well I have heard
that more often than I care to count. Personally it is inexcusable
in this day in time with so many wonderful dogs being euthanized.
If a breeder is going to breed any breed, it is MO they ought to
be testing for anything that possibly crops up in their lines. JMO

When I read that it was only five dollars more to have the elbows done
with the hips, it absolutely floored me. That is a drop in the bucket,
unless you really don't want to know because you'd rather fall back on
it not being a problem in your breed. If it's not, then five bucks is
money well spent to figure out its not and I would think more than one
person would pay an extra few bucks for a dog that had been proven not
to have the problem in its lines genetically (though of course ED can
still happen to a particular pup since the genetics shown by x-ray is
not a guarantee). If you are going to run a dog in agility, whether it
is a BC or anything else and whether it is from herding lines or
anything else, it seems to me that it is only responsible to look at the
elbows, considering the mechanics of agility work. If "sport" breeders
are the only ones testing elbows, then good for those who get their
agility dogs from those sport breeders and shame on the herding breeders
for not making a point of it. Surely it can't come as any surprise to
BC breeders that many of their BCs might end up in agility, even if it
is in addition to herding.

--
Paula
"Napoleon should be seen in Superdeterminism-Analogy History

Old September 9th 03, 01:51 PM
Gwen Watson

Paula wrote:

When I read that it was only five dollars more to have the elbows done
with the hips, it absolutely floored me.

Around here it is $35.00 more but that wouldn't prevent me from doing
it. Though I admit since I was neutering my GSD I didn't. Though I informed
that Vet at the time if the hips were good I wanted the elbows done,
if the hips weren't good as was the case on the left side never mind.
I somewhat regret that decision.

That is a drop in the bucket,
unless you really don't want to know because you'd rather fall back on
it not being a problem in your breed.

It seems like a good excuse to me. It is easier to be blind than have
your eyes wide open at times.

If it's not, then five bucks is
money well spent to figure out its not and I would think more than one
person would pay an extra few bucks for a dog that had been proven not
to have the problem in its lines genetically (though of course ED can
still happen to a particular pup since the genetics shown by x-ray is
not a guarantee). If you are going to run a dog in agility, whether it
is a BC or anything else and whether it is from herding lines or
anything else, it seems to me that it is only responsible to look at the
elbows, considering the mechanics of agility work.

Indeed I totally agree. When Blade's left hip was considered borderline
I opted not to further test because I knew right then I wouldn't be doing
agility with him.

If "sport" breeders
are the only ones testing elbows, then good for those who get their
agility dogs from those sport breeders and shame on the herding breeders
for not making a point of it. Surely it can't come as any surprise to
BC breeders that many of their BCs might end up in agility, even if it
is in addition to herding.

--
Paula
"Napoleon should be seen in Superdeterminism-Analogy History
theory as the Hitler of France." -- Archimedes Plutonium

I totally agree. I wasn't aware of this with BC's until the thread came up.
I have never looked into BC breeders or their standards.

Gwen

I Got Bitten Today darrz Dog rescue 2 September 17th 03 08:36 AM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog breeds 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog rescue 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM