I Got Bitten Today

Old August 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 05:01:30 GMT, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

On 23 Aug 2003 04:34:16 GMT, Rocky wrote:

My stepdaughter loved snakes. She once picked up a garter snake
which then bit her, drawing blood. She was in tears, not
because of any pain, but because of the betrayal.

When we're able to look at things the way a dog looks at them, we
shouldn't have any need to ever feel betrayed.

IME, it's only when we expect too much from dogs, or anthropomorphize
them, that we're usually disappointed.

Or usually then, anyway. I've had a few minor bites over several
years of working with somewhere around 220 dogs, but the worst bite I
ever got - - deep fang wounds, causing some temporary nerve damage in
one finger - - was from my own dog. I'd accidentally closed her paw
in the baby gate, and she's one of those dogs that bites whatever's
near when something like that happens. I wasn't too happy with myself
or her, but I don't recall feeling betrayed. Stuff happens with dogs.

Mustang Sally

Old August 23rd 03, 04:26 PM
212michael

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:24:20 -0400, "Sionnach"
wrote:

It's something you need to get used to, Leah, because getting bitten
is part of being a dog trainer/vet/vet tech, etc.

And the more dogs you train or work with, the more times you'll get
bitten -- and that goes double for rescue/rehab work.

Hrm. My agility instructor and I recently had a dispute- or to be more
precise, I had a dispute with a very junior instructor who totally misread
something one of my dogs was doing, and the senior instructor (who's done
*some* dog training)got involved in the discussion.
We got onto the general subject of aggression; she seems to think that if
a trainer is good enough at reading the dog, s/he can avoid ever being
bitten. I'm not so sure I agree.

Sarah, was this trainer walking on water when he said that? Or feeding
thousands with only two fish and five loaves of bread?

If not, I'd wager that he hasn't trained many dogs.

Kind of like Jerry "Dr. Evil" Howe, or Michael "Mini Me" Patton, who
only "train" imaginary dogs living in imaginary worlds.

Yeah, Okay Jerkoff Morrison

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

You've probably got a lot moooore experience getting bit than Leah (and
that's saying something, fans!)

I repeat

Hello Fans,

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

(can I have a drum roll please?)

"The VAST MAJORITY of dog bites occur because
of too much aggression. By the Human.

Too aggressive in their assumptions.
Too aggressive in their play.
Too aggressive in their discipline.
Too aggressive in their approach.
Too aggressive in their grooming.
Too pushy, too hasty, too busy, in
too much of a hurry, etc, etc..."

michael patton
ceo of dogtv.com networks

It's very simple fans. If you don't want to get bit, pay attention to
the above. And if your trainer is guilty of the above, find another
trainer or buy one of my videos (stay tuned, believe it or not, they are
coming).

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Old August 23rd 03, 08:09 PM
Rocky

sighthounds etc. said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I wasn't too happy with myself
or her, but I don't recall feeling betrayed. Stuff happens
with dogs.

Yes, that was my point, though my examples weren't the best.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:54 PM
Karl Johan

Hello Fans,

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

If you are the sharpest mind in the dog game, and have the best dog training
net videos available, there is a GIGANTIC universe of room for improvement.

I Got Bitten Today darrz Dog rescue 2 September 17th 03 08:36 AM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog breeds 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog rescue 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM