We need some help with our dogs

Old April 16th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Hank

Default We need some help with our dogs

1st dog

Nearly two years ago I bought my mom a puppy after a 2 year morning of
our previous dog who passed away. I got him from the pound and gave
her the new addition to the family, she loves him very so and would
always praise him etc..etc, but she never walked him nor played with
him or trained him, so when I would go vist her I would walk him but
he would always pull on the leash to a point that it sounded like he
was being choked. He also never paid attention to me or to my
girlfriend once he left the front lawn. Now fast forward to today, she
told me she couldn't take care of him anymore (shes old) so asked me
to take him so we did. But same old thing, he pulls on the leash and
he is a very high energetic dog and he doesnt pay attention to no one
even when we have treats or call his name, I feel bad for him because
he was couped up in a backyard for a long period of time, but when we
take him outside in the front for a walk he always jumps up like he
wants to runaway. I would love to train him so he could just run on
the front lawn and not fear is going to run away.

2nd dog.

My girlfriend has a dog who is a puppy still, and she is very stubborn
and dominate dog, they baby her like there is no tommorrow, well
everytime I try to take her for a walk she lays down and won't move
period, we tried to leaving the leash on her in the backyard and she
will run with it but once you pick up the leash she freezes up and
remains paralized.

Can someone point me in the right direction with books or websites to
help with my two dogs? They're good dogs just need some obedience. I
wish I could take them both to training school, but nowadays with all
the shots and meds we are almost bone dry.

Thank you.
Old April 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
Hank wrote:

wish I could take them both to training school, but nowadays with all
the shots and meds we are almost bone dry.

Take the one that needs it most and then do the same things with the one
at home.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 16th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

My dog Muttley has had similar issues. See my other post about the Easy
Walk harness that helped tremendously with the pulling problem. He is also
very energetic and focused on what he sees and smells when he is outside,
but he is not trying to run away. I would not trust him off-leash, but he
has gotten loose a few times, and he has just run around the neighborhood
exploring. But he has always come back, or allowed me to reattach his leash
when I have found him. He was rescued from the streets where he ran wild as
the alpha male of a pack of three other dogs, and I wish I could allow him
that freedom again.

2nd dog.

My girlfriend has a dog who is a puppy still, and she is very stubborn
and dominate dog, they baby her like there is no tommorrow, well
everytime I try to take her for a walk she lays down and won't move
period, we tried to leaving the leash on her in the backyard and she
will run with it but once you pick up the leash she freezes up and
remains paralized.

Can someone point me in the right direction with books or websites to
help with my two dogs? They're good dogs just need some obedience. I
wish I could take them both to training school, but nowadays with all
the shots and meds we are almost bone dry.

Thank you.

Almost everyone here will say "get thee and thy dog to Obedience Training
or a Behaviorist at once", and that is generally good advice. These can be
expensive, but usually there are classes at local schools that are quite
reasonable, and probably cost less than the price of gas to get there and
back. Also check with local shelters and boarding or grooming places. If
you find a boarder who is also a decent trainer, you might be able to
barter some training time in return for doing chores such as cleaning
kennels.

There are many good websites that offer free training advice, but sometimes
in-person help is needed.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/behavior.html

http://www.doglinks.co.nz/training/training.htm

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html (this is on dog aggression, but
check other links on site)

http://www.iheartpaws.com/

http://www.unleashedinevanston.com/ (Dog personality survey and a fun movie
of dogs playing)

Also, if they are any particular breed, there may be a local breed-specific
rescue that might help.

Paul and Muttley

Old April 17th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Hank wrote:

Can someone point me in the right direction with books or websites to
help with my two dogs? They're good dogs just need some obedience. I
wish I could take them both to training school, but nowadays with all
the shots and meds we are almost bone dry.

It doesn't sound like you have too terribly difficult problems. Both
dogs sound like they're merely untrained, not like they have temperament
problems. (You came to that conclusion. I'm agreeing with you.)

I know you say you're short on funds, but you ought to be able to find a
dog training class at a dog club or night school that doesn't cost too
much. (Maybe not. I don't know where you are.) Ask your veterinarian
to point you in the right direction, or see if there's a resource guide
at the library.

Since you don't have specific problems and just need general guidance,
I'd say go to the library and look at the books they have there. There
are lots of methods to choose from. One will work. Be consistent.

--Lia

Old April 17th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs.labrador,rec.equestrian
[email protected]

The dogs are dominant. That's the soul of this issue. You haven't
established yourself as the dominant one, and as such, they're not
going to listen to you.

I would start with some basic obedience training. This will not only
teach basic obedience commands, but will also establish your
dominance.

When walking the dogs, you need to maintain your pack leader status.
When the dog gets excited and pulls, you need to break the
concentration by correcting her. A quick jerk of the leash (to the
side), a bump sideways, etc. If she becomes distracted by something
and wants to stop or pulls in another direction, you keep walking
straight. The pack leader doesn't stop because the submissive dog
wants to sniff a bush.

For the dog refusing to walk, again, you need to establish dominance.
She doesn't follow you because she doesn't have to - she's the boss.

A great resource that I haven't seen posted here is http://effectivedogtraining.net
They have all sorts of posts about dog training and dominance issues.

Old April 17th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

Hank wrote:
[...]

Here's my take, FWIW - I'm not a professional trainer.

They need obedience training. Firm, consistent, but also in
short sessions that are fun for dogs and you and your girlfriend.
If you can find someone who can help you with this, if you can
get into a class, that would be best. Try your county parks and
recreation department, if there is one. These often offer group
courses that are inexpensive. Or your local kennel club, or dog
obedience club. If not, check out "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by
Brian Kilcommons, and "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor.
There are lots of other good books on dog training out there;
these are two that I think are effective.

One think you can try is a method called "Nothing in Life is
Free." In other words, EVERYTHING your dog gets from you, every
mouthful of food, every pet, every walk, every toss of a ball,
requires that the dog obey a command. Short, simple commands,
such as 'sit.' Your dogs will begin to look to you and your
girlfriend as the source of everything good. Google on NILIF for
links - there are several good web sites about it.

HTH -

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old April 18th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Apr 16, 4:16*pm, Hank wrote:
[...]

For the dog that pulls on the leash, try walking with him by your
side. Hold the handle of the leash with the hand opposite the dog and
let the leash move freely through the hand closest to him. Any time he
starts to pull on the leash, turn and walk in the opposite direction
and let him follow. When he turns and is walking next to you, give him
an enthusiastic "good boy" and a treat. When he starts to pull ahead
again, turn direction again and repeat. This shows him that you are in
control. There is no need to yell or yank on the leash. It might take
a few walks until he gets it down just right, and you'll feel a bit
funny turning direction all the time, but it does work.

For the dog that is afraid to walk, the only thing I know to do is to
get a favorite treat or toy (hot dog works good) and entice the dog to
get started and then walk enthusiastically and without hesitation so
that the dog understands that you're in control. You may have to
provide a slight pull at first but it's more about attitude than
anything.
Old April 18th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

It sounds as though he could use a good run every day
before leash training.
Maybe you could bike, jog or roller blade and take the dog with you, or play
fetch with him in the yard until he is tired and then take him for a walk on
the leash.

If the dog is pulling like a freight train on a walk, how safe do you
think biking, jogging or rollerblading with that dog, would be? Doing
any of those activities with a dog with no leash manners is asking for a
trip to the ER.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 18th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
If the dog is pulling like a freight train on a walk, how safe do you
think biking, jogging or rollerblading with that dog, would be?

You can always put him in a harness and bikejor with him,
and the lack of leash manners wouldn't be as much of a
problem. You have to be competent on a bike, though (a
scooter may be safer), and the dog has to know not to chase
squirrels, visit other people, and so on, and you're best on
unpaved paths with little foot traffic that don't cross
roads. Okay, so maybe that's not a great suggestion,
either.

I've found that frequent changes of direction work best with
my congenital pullers, and I thought that was a good
suggestion. Paridoxically-like, I've also found that
frequent changes of direction work best with a dog that
won't go. When the dog parks it, *don't* try to pull them.
Jog off in a different direction, and make it fun, fun, fun.

Rules 1, 2, and 3 in dog mushing are "Don't let go," "Don't
let go," and "Don't let go." Maybe rules 1, 2, and 3 in dog
training should be "Make it fun," "Make it fun," and "Make
it fun."