Dog Has Black Stool, Eats Lots Of Grass

Old July 25th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mole Hill

Default Dog Has Black Stool, Eats Lots Of Grass

She seems to feel okay, but her stool is nearly black and wrapped with
straw. I have fed her chicken bones as we have them. Ithinki she might
have one lodged in her stomach. The only thing I can think of.

Old July 25th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Black stool means internal
bleeding.

Yesterday, I had to ask a dog daycare client what he feeds his
French Bulldog. The dog's stools are firm and the darkest--
almost black--I've ever seen. Eukanuba, but he wasn't sure
which version.

OP: get yourself to the vet.

Old July 25th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
Yesterday, I had to ask a dog daycare client what he feeds his
French Bulldog. The dog's stools are firm and the darkest--
almost black--I've ever seen. Eukanuba, but he wasn't sure
which version.

I've fed various Eukanubas and they do produce dark poops,
but not ones that look like they've got blood in them. I've
recently discovered that slipping the dogs a few pieces of
beets can produce eyebrow-raising poops.

OP: get yourself to the vet.

Hear, hear.

Old July 25th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Charles Lavin

I was always told that black, _tarry_ stool indicates blood in the stool.
The black tarry stuff is digested blood, which is a sure sign that there's
some kind of damage to the dog's digestive tract and it's bleeding
internally somewhere.

My dogs occasionally poop really dark -- but otherwise normal-looking --
poop, and sometimes the poop is two-tone (starts off really dark, then
becomes more mornal). There's never been a problem with this, and my vet has
told me that it's OK. It's when the poop looks a bit like tar that I was
told to worry.

On occasions when the dogs have battled with diarrhea, they have
occasionally pooped whatever messy stools with obvious streaks of red blood
on them. If the blood on the stool is red, it's undigested. This is usually
from anal irritation from the constant pooping due to the diarrhea.

Chuck

Old July 26th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Charles Lavin" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I was always told that black, _tarry_ stool indicates blood
in the stool. The black tarry stuff is digested blood,
which is a sure sign that there's some kind of damage to
the dog's digestive tract and it's bleeding internally
somewhere.

Not a sure sign because the healthy Frenchie I have had here has
all of your indicators.

Please don't top post. These groups, perhaps more than others,
seem to work best when we think we're having a conversation.

Old July 26th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mole Hill

If you're not a bored teenager trolling, go to the
vet, go right to the vet, do not pass go, do not
collect a dime. Black stool means internal
bleeding.

No, not a bored teenager. The truth, but nobody mentioned chicken bones.
Is it possible that that could be the cause of the bleeding?
Thanks for your response.

Old July 26th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Mole Hill wrote:
If you're not a bored teenager trolling, go to the
vet, go right to the vet, do not pass go, do not
collect a dime. Black stool means internal
bleeding.

No, not a bored teenager. The truth, but nobody mentioned chicken bones.
Is it possible that that could be the cause of the bleeding?
Thanks for your response.

I think that was because ingested chicken bones are the most
obvious potential cause of gastric bleeding - no one thought to
mention them specifically.

Yes, chicken bones can puncture an intestine, leading to
bleeding, serious infection (peritonitis) and often death,
especially if not treated right away.

How is your dog today? Did you take her to the vet? If not,
please do so immediately, and bring a stool sample.

Sorry to be an alarmist, but if my dog had eaten chicken bones (I
never never never would feed them deliberately, but it could
happen by accident) and then had black stools, I'd break speed
records getting him to a vet.

FurPaw

--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 9th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

YOU NEVER GIVE A DOG CHICKEN BONES OR PORK BONES!#!!!These can splinter in the dogs stomach and can puncture their stomach lining.
Old April 19th 16, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Hey my dog male pit bull. He still sick. I was saw him **** is black? What means black?? Its pavron or vet?

Problem with stool stori Dog health 1 February 20th 07 12:19 PM
Here's my dog's stool issue.... Bear Dog health 3 February 8th 07 02:10 AM
kirkland can food, soft stool. [email protected] Dog health 1 January 9th 07 05:36 AM
Corgi with Stool Stuck in Butt Michael Bushey Dog health 4 January 21st 06 11:30 PM
Dog eats grass - gets sick almost daily - Vet said he is OK buzzsaw Dog behavior 3 September 29th 05 02:21 AM