Mini Schnauzer Size

Old June 18th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Mini Schnauzer Size

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:05:04 GMT, "S.Smith"
wrote:

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"S.Smith" wrote:

Even if I go complain to the pet shop where I got him,
as some have suggested, I don't know what would be accomplished.

There are so many reasons to NOT buy from a pet store, but from a
responsible breeder instead. Have you blocked out all media for the
last few decades? Sorry - that sounded rather terse, but seriously -
why did you buy from a pet store? Is it even possible that you haven't
read/heard about puppymills?

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I had thought the pet store was reputable. They have been in the news
recently. Two complaints from customers who had health problems with
puppies. They did not go back to the pet shop and instead spent small
fortunes at the vets. Petey had a problem the first two weeks we had him
and the pet shop covered all the costs for vet care. He has had no other
problems and that was over a year ago. Since having Petey, I have heard
much about puppy mills--things I did not know before. Granted, now I would
not use a pet shop again, and Petey has his forever home.
Petey's Mom

Good for you, Petey's Mom! Now please help to spread the word about
pet shops. There really are no such things as reputable pet shops,
because they all get their dogs from puppy mills.

Old June 19th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

wrote:

There really are no such things as reputable pet shops,
because they all get their dogs from puppy mills.

Not true. First, not all pet shops sell dogs and cats. My local pet shop
(which has been around for 30+ years) sells pet supplies, birds, reptiles,
and small animal pets. They sell only captive-bred birds and reptiles, and
don't carry "exotic" small animal pets; only rats, mice, hamsters, rabbits,
guinea pigs, and ferrets.
Second, quite a few pet shops which do carry dogs (and cats) sell the
"produce" of local BYBs rather than dealing with wholesale puppy mills; some
carry a mixture of both. Not to mention that in some areas, there are a lot
of dogs being produced and sold by "puppy farmers" - mostly Amish - whose
operations are far too small to be referred to as "puppy mills", but who
don't really qualify as BYBs, either.

Last but not least, I'd like to point out that there's more to being
"reputable" than simply not selling dogs and cats; see my comments above
not selling wild-caught birds or reptiles, and not selling small animals
which aren't really suited to being kept as pets.

Old June 22nd 09, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"dejablues" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

So backyard breeder + pet store = exponential badness for
dogs and clueless buyers while making money for backyard
breeders and pet stores and encouraging more irresponsible
breeding. It's a win-win!

Yup. Wasn't defending the practice, just pointing out that the
problem doesn't always involve puppy mills. Petland, for
example, sells customers on the fact that the dogs come from
"hobby breeders" and not puppy mills. The customers buy into
that spin.