Breeders and Inbreeding - Any way to tell?

Old November 24th 03, 05:36 AM
Elizabeth Naime

Quoth Mary Healey on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:04:58
-0600,

Mile Sullivan wrote:
So, enough rambling. My question is: Is there any way to tell if a
puppy has been inbred or overbred?

Look at a 3-generation pedigree.

Or go for it and look at five generations. Most breeders I know
definitely have this information and have 5-generation pedigrees ready
to look at.

To the original poster -- I'm sorry, but until you are able to develop a
longer-term relationship with a breeder and feel reasonably secure that
s/he is not unscrupulous, you shouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder.
There are good, responsible breeders out there and the key to finding
the perfect puppy for you is to find one who shares your ideals about
the breed and breeds for the traits that are important to you. Whether
s/he uses line breeding and/or linebreeding and/or outcrossing is not
really important. What's important is that s/he is breeding for the
characteristics you want in a puppy, and doing so in a reasonable,
responsible, successful manner.

If you don't feel you can find a breeder you can really trust, don't buy
a puppy. There are plenty of older puppies and grown dogs available
through rescue (including but not limited to breed rescues, shelters,
and pounds).

Only know that there is no spork.
Old June 14th 11, 02:53 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Sullivan View Post
Tee, inbreeding/linebreeding is a complicated issue. I know most
breeders are not vets and probably don't have any credintials
whatsoever. They are self-proclaimed breeders. I've been researching
this inbreeding topic extensively, and most of the people who say
there are no ill effects are breeders. Those with the proper
credintials, I.E. Vets and Geneticists agree that severe inbreeding
will lead to decreased immune systems, reduced vigor, unstable
temperament, and a host of other problems. Very careful and selective
linebreeding can improve the breed, but I don't believe these
self-proclaimed breeders are qualified to do this.

So when you say "acceptable", I can't help but wonder just who this
practice is acceptable to.

Those who only sell under limited registration seem to think they're
better than the people who are looking for a high caliber dog. I
personally get my dogs fixed, but I'll be damned if someone is going
to FORCE me to do it. It's a matter of principle. I would say a kick
in the shins would be more appropriate than a pat on the back.

"Tee" wrote in message ...
Mike, inbreeding or line-breeding in dogs is not only normal but acceptable.
When people think of inbreeding they think of human/human where defects are
likely to happen. That's not the case with dogs. Many breeders line breed
to either try and double up on specific traits they can't find available
elsewhere or to keep specific traits out that would come in from outside
lines. A breeder who sells on limited registration does so to prevent
buyers from breeding the puppies unless they intend to show them and prove
that they are worthy (in terms of conformation) to be bred. They're keeping
their pups from going to homes where they'll be little more than
money-makers, overbred, and under-loved. IMO any breeder who sells on
limited registration or s/n contracts should be given a large pat on the
back for doing something to help decrease the number of unwanted pets in the
world.
Hi,

You state that you have researched inbreeding extensively. I bought Maya from a puppy store and found out after that she came from a puppy mill in Missouri. I also found out that right before we bought her she was very very sick and almost died. She suddenly passed away on June 7, 2011 and I am thinking she was born sick. Some lung disease or something that went undetected. Maya was only three years old when she passed. I am having her lung biopsied, but that said most likely it will come back inconclusive. We had her cremated but the vet saved her kidney, liver. After doing some research on the puppy mill she came from I am convinced that Maya was inbred. Are there any tests to prove this? If not now should I hold on and freeze what I have so if technology ever catches? Any information yo have on this topic would be greatly apprciated. Broken hearted Joanne, Plymouth, MA