Miniature Schnauzer pee problems after bladder surgery

Old March 30th 05, 09:32 PM
marko959

Default Miniature Schnauzer pee problems after bladder surgery

I have a 5 year old black Miniature Schnauzer. She had surgery for
bladder stones in early January of this year. Before the surgery, she
would have accidents in the house once in a great while. After the
surgery, she is having problems. She has urininated several times on
our carpet and floor. This morning, she went on my side of the bed up
by my pillow. It's the first time I know of that she has pissed on the
bed.

I have taken her back to the vet a couple of times. He said that the
surgery should not have affected any of the nerves that might cause
incontinance. I don't see any signs that she has ever done it in her
crate. I have not noticed it in any area where she lies down. But yet,
when I let her outside, she sometimes pees 2 or 3 times in the space of
a couple of minutes. This is completely different behavior from before
the surgery.

She is a healthy dog besides this problem. My wife is fed up with her
peeing on our new carpet and is in favor of either selling her or
having her put to sleep. I am going to take her to another vet to get
more ideas. We have tried switching foods without any success. I'm also
going to try the crate training route.

I'm afraid her fate is sealed unless we can find a solution as to
whether this is medical or a behavior problem. Has anybody else
experienced this with their dog after bladder surgery, or have any
ideas for me?

Thanks

Old March 30th 05, 09:57 PM
Darby Wiggins

This is not uncommon in dogs who've had bladder surgery. Do you think the
vet would voluntarily fess up to nicking a nerve that might cause her to
become incontinent? I don't know many who would. My sister's own surgeon
was unwilling to admit he'd nicked her colon when she had kidney stones
removed and she had a miserable next few weeks. But did the doctor ever
admit to making a mistake, despite the overwhelming evidence confirming it,
No.

Incontinence and other related bathroom issues is one of the biggest
reasons dogs are given up. Don't be like so many other owners and think you
can "get rid" of your problem. What isn't your problem becomes MY
problem...and the problems of others of us who work in the shelters,
rescues etc.

Please don't just dump her with the nearest person who is 1. willing to
shell out some money or 2. who will euthanize her. She is YOUR dog and YOUR
responsibility. Did you not know that buy getting a dogs it was for its
entire life? Incontinence is no reason to get rid of or even euthanize a
dog. If your child suddenly became unable to hold their bladder, would you
sell or hill him/her? No, of course you wouldn't. You'd seek help, just as
you are now for your dog. Please continue to do so

Have a talk with your wife and see the vet.

Old March 31st 05, 12:15 AM
marko959

What's with the attitude? I came here for help, not to get a Joe Friday
responsibility speech. And comparing my dog to my child? I'm sorry, but
that comparison is way off and insulting. I love my dog, but she is not
a human being, nor my offspring. If I knew I was going to be dressed
down by a PETA sympathizer, I wouldn't have posted.

For your information, I have spent almost $3000 on my dogs this last
year. Both my mini Schnauzers had bladder stones and had their
surgeries 2 months apart. They both get special prescription food that
costs way more than the normal food. They both get their haircuts every
6 to 8 weeks. They both spend the vast majority of their time in the
house. I am one of the few people in my housing addition that walks
their dogs, and I do it on a regular basis. They get all of their
shots. And they get lots of love.

But we have a house. And in that house is expensive carpeting that
replaced the carpeting that was stained from accidents my first
miniature schnauzer had after she was diagnosed with cancer. She was
13, but I probably waited too long to put her to sleep because I loved
her so much. When she went from 20 lbs. to 11 because she could not
hold down food, I knew I couldn't wait any longer. The old carpet was
also stained from the accidents my current dogs had as puppies, and a
few they had as adults. We accepted that it might happen now and then.
But this is an almost everyday occurance for the past 3 months.
Sometimes she hits the floor, sometimes it's on the new carpeting,
which in under a year is already heavily stained. You can clean it, but
it's never the same.

I have never found anything in her crate that would indicate that she
can't hold it if she really needs to. She definitely goes more than
before the surgery, but it may be a coincidence. Why would she pee by
my pillow and then continue to lay on the bed? My other schnauzer lay
by the door because he knew she did something wrong. And I know he
didn't pee because he would be hiding somewhere. That's his m.o. I
suspect the problem may be behavior, but I am going to take her to
another vet, just to make sure.

If I have to give her to someone else, it will be someone I trust. She
won't go in the paper to be sold. This has worked for us the past. We
found another Schnauzer a few years ago and gave him to a friend of
ours and he's very spoiled and happy. He was afraid of men, so I guess
he had been mistreated before. I don't want to get rid of my dog, but
she has a problem and I will do all I can to help her. But if she
continues to wreck our house, I will have no choice.

Now, if someone has some ideas, I'll be glad to listen. If your going
to chew me out for some perceived lack of caring on my part, don't
bother.

Old March 31st 05, 03:27 AM
Rocky

marko959 said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

What's with the attitude? I came here for help, not to get
a Joe Friday responsibility speech.

You must have met The Kook - most have him killfiled, so thanks
for not quoting him.

As to your problem, it's most likely medical -- especially after
bladder surgery -- and could range anywhere from bad procedure
to a totally unrelated issue. It sounds like leaking to me.

Old March 31st 05, 05:44 PM
Darby Wiggins

Suja wrote:

Darby Wiggins wrote:
Thanks Rocky for the insult.

Pretty sure Rocky isn't capable of insult, at least of the typed
variety, considering how he more than likely doesn't know how to use a
keyboard or mouse.

I was hoping someone understood why I chose to use Rocky instead of Matt.
Although, I do find it insulting when a dog doesn't want to hang around
me..... fortunately, it doesn't happen too often :-)

Nice to know what you think of me

Darby, you're reading more into Matt's post than is there. When newbies
complain about mistreatment on the boards, they are usually suffering at
the hands of 'The Kook'. I'm pretty sure that Matt assumed that 'He Who
Shall Not Be Named' is the source of the OP's concern about the
"attitude" received.

Well, I stand corrected then :-). Thanks for explaining Suja. My apologies
MATT (and Rocky)...
My OP still stands thought.....

Thanks
Darby

Suja

Old March 31st 05, 07:02 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Suja wrote in news:EJV2e.6753$Tn.3038@lakeread06:

Darby, you're reading more into Matt's post than is there. When newbies
complain about mistreatment on the boards, they are usually suffering at
the hands of 'The Kook'. I'm pretty sure that Matt assumed that 'He Who
Shall Not Be Named' is the source of the OP's concern about the
"attitude" received.

Yup. The view from this end looks exactly like what it looks like when
someone responds to Jar Jar and you have Jar Jar kf'ed. Matt uses XNews,
like I do, and when someone responds to a poster that is kf'ed, the post
shows up at the same level as the post that started the thread. It looks
like Google screwed up the References line in the headers, so it isn't
threading properly.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old March 31st 05, 08:44 PM
Rocky

Darby Wiggins said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Thanks Rocky for the insult. Nice to know what you think of me

I was responding to marko959 who was responding to someone in my
killfile. Since you're not in my killfile, I couldn't have been
referring to you. (For what it's worth, there's only one poster
in my killfile. It's not you, obviously.)

If marko959 had included references in his quote, your
misunderstanding probably would have been avoided.