chondrosarcoma help

Old December 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default chondrosarcoma help

Hi I had posted help a while back for my dog. After seeing the vet and
getting a rhinoscopy done, all was going good as no cancerous tumors
were found. We the got the dog operated, since now both nostrils were
blocked. Because the rhinoscopy showed that the cartillage between the
nostrils started to communicate therefore the blood and discharge from
the left nostril was passing on to the right. They opened up his nose
and removed the mass growing in his nose(on the left side since the
right seemed ok). They removed all but had some trouble since the sinus
bone according to the surgent was like jello and was afraid to pierce
through the bone, but apparently managed to remove the growth. Now the
bad news apparently after diagnosis it turns out to be a chondrosarcoma
tumor, damn we were so hopeful. She said it seemed to be a slow growing
tumor but they found a cancerous cell on a blood vessel. She said this
could easily be as they cut into the tumor that they displaced the
cell.
Now my questions:
According to the vet here are my options: Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy,
or nothing at all. Radiotherapy is not done locally so I would have to
send him off for a month, so not my best option. I think will will be
going for chemotherapy using doxorubicine.
What do you guys think about this route? The Oncologiste said it
probably won't cure him but will prolong his life. Any body have any
miracle stories for me?
Is there any natural therapy, food, plants etc which can help or
eliminate this tumor or prolong the re-appearence. I will still do the
chimio though (don't want to take any chances).
Anybody take this route and kept the dog a long time? Right now they
say after all this it might be between 1 and 24 months before I loose
him.
As for Buddy, he is doing great. It seems as though nothing is wrong
with him. He runs and still loves to go for walks, and doesn't tire
easy. He is breathing fine after the surgery, thank God. Lost a bit of
weight though(approx 4 lbs in a month). He is eating less since the
surgery 3/4 of what he usually eats.
Anyways I don't know where I am going with all this. I guess I just
want to hear encouraging stories from others which had the same thing,
and the dog was ok for a long time.Or am I dreaming. I am a 41 years
old married male no kids, and if anybody wold have told me 5 years ago
that you can get so attached to an animal I would say they are crazy. I
have been crying like a kid since about a month.
TIA