Why This Vet Feeds Her Dogs People Food

Old November 1st 08, 10:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
ashley ross

Default Why This Vet Feeds Her Dogs People Food

Once upon a time, I was your average dog owner. I felt guilty when I
spoiled my dog with "people food". This concept was reinforced during
my veterinary training, with terms like table food gastroenteritis.
Oh, the horror of clients feeding table scrapes to their dogs! After
the reprimand, instructions to feed only commercial dog foods were
made and the deal was done. Poor Fido was banned from the family
dining room and forced to eat the same boring dog food everyday.
Before the advent of commercial pet food diets some 50 years ago,
family dogs thrived from the benefit of common sense and our
grandmother's cooking. Before the craze of pre-packed convenience
foods, the relatives of today's modern dog enjoyed and prospered
eating the same foods we did. That's right folks -- those dogs
belonging to your grandparents ate real people food and thrived. We
are not talking Big Macs and French fries, just fresh meats, whole
grains and all the vegetables that a dog could dig up in the garden.
Sadly, today's modern dog suffers from the economics of food
technology, which has failed to live up to its claims of being a
"natural" and "nutritionally balanced" diet....

http://groups.google.com/group/dogfoodmave