Shitsui, small terrier or Havanese?

Old November 9th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
louise

Default Shitsui, small terrier or Havanese?

I'm looking to buy a small dog for an apartment. I'm hoping
to box train the dog, although it will certainly be taken
out to the park right across the street where there are many
dogs to meet and play with. My hope is that the box will
primarily be used in the mornings.

My biggest concern is barking. I work at home and there
will be a few hours at a time every day where I am in the
house, locked away in one part, and the dog will be "locked
away" in another part of the house. The nature of my work
would make it impossible if the dog were to bark constantly
because he/she knows I'm there, but not accessible.

Would one of the above breeds be more likely to adjust to
the box training and the "don't bark" requirements?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Louise
Old November 9th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article ,
louise wrote:

My biggest concern is barking. I work at home and there
will be a few hours at a time every day where I am in the
house, locked away in one part, and the dog will be "locked
away" in another part of the house. The nature of my work
would make it impossible if the dog were to bark constantly
because he/she knows I'm there, but not accessible.

Why can't the dog be with you? Are you a welder or something?

--
Janet Boss
Old November 9th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Judy

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
louise wrote:

My biggest concern is barking. I work at home and there
will be a few hours at a time every day where I am in the
house, locked away in one part, and the dog will be "locked
away" in another part of the house. The nature of my work
would make it impossible if the dog were to bark constantly
because he/she knows I'm there, but not accessible.

Why can't the dog be with you? Are you a welder or something?

It's probably just me but my mind went first to "masseur".

Judy

Old November 9th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Judy

"louise" wrote in message
Would one of the above breeds be more likely to adjust to the box training
and the "don't bark" requirements?

Any individual dog could probably be trained to not bark while you otherwise
occupied in the house.

I suggest training the dog with a crate as its own den. The dog will be
comfortable in the crate and feel secure.

That said, I can't imagine why the dog couldn't be with you in the house. I
understand if you need the dog to be quiet and undemanding for periods of
time. We all expect that of our dogs sometimes. Mine sleep in a bed under
my desk - which is also what my dogs did back when I had a business and an
office. I never was concerned that they would bark while I was on the phone
or that they would interrupt when I had clients/customers in the office.

What else do you want or expect the dog to do or be like?

Judy

Old November 9th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
louise

Janet Boss wrote:
In article ,
louise wrote:

My biggest concern is barking. I work at home and there
will be a few hours at a time every day where I am in the
house, locked away in one part, and the dog will be "locked
away" in another part of the house. The nature of my work
would make it impossible if the dog were to bark constantly
because he/she knows I'm there, but not accessible.

Why can't the dog be with you? Are you a welder or something?

I'm in the medical field and it would not be appropriate.

Louise
Old November 10th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
louise

Judy wrote:
"louise" wrote in message
Would one of the above breeds be more likely to adjust to the box
training and the "don't bark" requirements?

Any individual dog could probably be trained to not bark while you
otherwise occupied in the house.

I suggest training the dog with a crate as its own den. The dog will be
comfortable in the crate and feel secure.

That said, I can't imagine why the dog couldn't be with you in the
house. I understand if you need the dog to be quiet and undemanding for
periods of time. We all expect that of our dogs sometimes. Mine sleep
in a bed under my desk - which is also what my dogs did back when I had
a business and an office. I never was concerned that they would bark
while I was on the phone or that they would interrupt when I had
clients/customers in the office.

What else do you want or expect the dog to do or be like?

Judy

As I wrote in another post, I am in the medical field and it
would be inappropriate for the dog to be with me when I am
working in another part of the house.

You ask what else I want.

I would like to be able to box train the dog so that walks
at certain times are not essential. I would like the dog to
be able to use the box when he/she needs to, and otherwise,
toilet outside. I live very near a large parklike area
where there are many dogs and lots of room for them to run
and play (on leash). There is also a dog run about 15
minutes away. So, the dog will be out and relatively free
to socialize and play - but I would like the box to be an
option and I would like a dog who could adapt to this with
some ease.

I appreciate alertness and a certain mischievousness. I
need to remember not to go too far with this. I am in my
60s and although there are many people in my life, the dog
and I would frequently be alone. So I want a companion and
one who is fun loving and playful.

I was expecting to get a crate so the dog has its own "home"
in my "home".

My daughter has a cat who I sometimes take care of. If it
were possible for the two to be together, that would be a
plus but should not impact my choice of breed. At best, I
wouldn't expect to introduce the cat into the situation for
at least a few months, until the puppy is somewhat trained
and more importantly, secure.

I hope this clarifies my question a little more. I didn't
realize when I wrote the first post that I'd left out so
many factors and thanks for asking questions so that I can
better describe what I'm looking for.

Louise
Old November 10th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Judy

"louise" wrote in message
I would like to be able to box train the dog so that walks at certain
times are not essential. I would like the dog to be able to use the box
when he/she needs to, and otherwise, toilet outside.

This is not unheard of but it's difficult. I suggest that if you want the
dog to use a box that you plan on the dog always using the box.

I want a companion and one who is fun loving and playful.

My daughter has a cat who I sometimes take care of. If it were possible
for the two to be together, that would be a plus but should not impact my
choice of breed. At best, I wouldn't expect to introduce the cat into the
situation for at least a few months, until the puppy is somewhat trained
and more importantly, secure.

Again, it's not impossible for terriers and cats to live together but it's
not something that is always easily achieved. Especially since it would be
an occasional thing. Does the cat know any dogs? My biggest feat with my
dogs and cats is that cats come with claws that can do eye damage to dogs.
As you said, they can be separated when necessary. And when I say Terrier,
I mean the breeds you would see in the Terrier Group, not the terrier-like
dogs in the Toy Group.

Fun-loving and playful is pretty easy. And for the most part, small dogs
have been bred to be companions. I'm assuming that you would prefer
something with limited exercise requirements - or that could be satisfied
with something like ball chasing in a hallway.

That still leaves many breeds and some wonderful mixed breeds available at
your local shelter. If you do want a purebred dog, I would advise you to be
very careful choosing a breeder. Small dogs tend to be bred by people who
are less than responsible guardians of the breeds. Because they are small,
it's easy to churn out litters. And in my experience, small dogs who are
badly bred can have less desirable temperaments. So choose your breeder
very carefully.

Do you have a size or weight in mind? I'm thinking of something like a
Yorkie that would be small enough to make the litter box idea practical.
One of the toy breeds - like a toy poodle? With a warning here - avoid toys
that have been bred to be even tinier than their breed standard.

Anyway, what you are looking for can be found and achieved. And I can think
of a dozen or more breeds that could fit your needs. As well as many dogs
in the shelter.

You didn't say if you were after a puppy or an adult dog. Keep in mind that
there are some wonderful adult dogs available - not just at the shelters but
also at responsible breeders. Many show breeders have adult dogs looking
for homes. These dogs may have not fulfilled their initial promise for the
show ring. Or they may have retired from the ring and perhaps even from
breeding. (Most responsible breeders will only breed a dog a couple of
times, if at all.) This may be a five or six year old dog that is fully
crate trained and housebroken. One of these dogs might be perfect for you.

Judy