Liisa to the courtesy phone please!

Old November 20th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

Default Liisa to the courtesy phone please!

As long as you're here, I figured I'll ask something that's been puzzling
me. Someone on another dog forum has a shelter pup that looks like a Merle
Great Dane. The original owner that turned in the pup said that she is
actually a Dane/St. Bernard mix - according to the "papers", mom was a St.
Bernard, the sire was a Harlequin Dane.

Possible to get a pup that looks for all practical purposes like a Merle
Dane from that breeding?

Suja

Old November 20th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu[_2_]

"Suja" wrote in
:

As long as you're here, I figured I'll ask something that's been
puzzling me. Someone on another dog forum has a shelter pup that
looks like a Merle Great Dane. The original owner that turned in the
pup said that she is actually a Dane/St. Bernard mix - according to
the "papers", mom was a St. Bernard, the sire was a Harlequin Dane.
Possible to get a pup that looks for all practical purposes like a
Merle Dane from that breeding?

Umm, more or less, yes. Size is the same. Lop ears, mastiff-type head,
quite heavy bone structure. You could expect the cross to be heavier than a
modern show type Dane, but the difference isn't that huge. Short coat
dominates long, and very short (like Danes have) more or less dominates
"short, but quite rough" like short-coated Bernards have.

Merle/harle Danes are about always homozygous for dominant black gene, so
the masked sable from a Bernard would be covered with black. Merle is
dominant, and so you can get a merle pup if the merle gene comes from just
one parent (and better to get it just from one parent, you want to avoid
M/M double merle genotype as it gives too often very disabled pups).

Bernards are piebalds with lots of color, harle/merle Danes are either
solid or have irish-type spotting. So it is totally possible to get either
nearly solid or irish-looking pup with just some white.

So yes, you could get a merle "Dane-lookalike" from a cross between a
purebred merle (or harle) Dane and a purebred St Bernard Dog. If this is a
rescue with unknown pedigree and it isn't heavier than an average Dane, it
most likely doesn't have a Bernard parent, but anyway that would still be
possible.

Liisa
Old November 21st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message:

If this is a
rescue with unknown pedigree and it isn't heavier than an average Dane, it
most likely doesn't have a Bernard parent, but anyway that would still be
possible.

This was a purpose bred Saint-Dane mix. I don't trust the "papers" for that
reason, but it's good to know that it is in fact possible, based on what
you've said. I don't see anything the least bit Saint like in the pup, but
he's only 3 months old (and 55 pounds) right now, so we'll see how he turns
out. I'm going to keep an eye out and ask for more pictures as the pup gets
older. FWIW, the person who picked him up from the pound (original owner
dumped pup because husband hated the dog) says that the dog looks
completely, 100% Dane to her.

Thanks!

Suja

Old November 21st 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu[_2_]

"Suja" wrote in
:

This was a purpose bred Saint-Dane mix.

Why would anyone do that mix? You will get an ugly, heavy Dane-wannabe with
perhaps calmer temperament than typical purebred Dane but you would quite
likely end up with a more dog-aggressive temperament, too. Why not just
breed purebred Danes?

I don't see anything the least bit Saint
like in the pup, but he's only 3 months old (and 55 pounds) right now,
so we'll see how he turns out.

The slightly-heavier-than-Dane build and slightly-fluffier-than-Dane coat
are not necessarily visible yet and it is possible that they can be seen
only after it is older than 10-24 months.

(original owner dumped pup because husband hated the dog)

Yeah, people like this are most likely to get a pup from a breeding like
this... Never ask your family members if it is ok to get a pet. Never think
too far ahead how your life's going to turn. Just get that dang animal NOW!

Liisa