Mini Schnauzer Size

Old June 9th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

Default Mini Schnauzer Size

In article 1aAXl.735364$yE1.513033@attbi_s21,
Robin Nuttall wrote:

Janet, I know a lady with two FCRs, one 11 and one 14. Both British
imports, and apparently over there that's not that unusual. And of
course there are a LOT more FCRs over there. To the tune that it's not
unusual at shows like Crufts to have an entry of, oh, 450 or so. All of
which you may already know, but just in case...

There's a reason Marcie comes from Swedish parents! Sweden and
Scandinavia in general, have much the same reports. I told her that I
expect her to stick around for a long time!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 9th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Robin Nuttall

Robin Nuttall wrote:

There's a reason Marcie comes from Swedish parents! Sweden and
Scandinavia in general, have much the same reports. I told her that I
expect her to stick around for a long time!

Yep. No guarantees of course, but it's interesting that the gene pool
over here has more problems. What we see in Dobes is that we have the
same general health issues world wide, but in some areas of the world a
particular problem may be less of a problem than in others. So, for
example, thyroid issues and vWD are pretty unknown in European dogs. vWD
is a huge problem in Australia, sort of in the middle here. Cardio is an
issue everywhere.

In terms of color, what I've observed anecdotally is that in Europe,
where blue and fawn are not allowed colors and blue and fawn puppies are
routinely culled (killed), there are actually a lot more dogs who carry
the genes for it. Here, where it's allowed but not really favored, few
dogs carry the recessives because we actively breed against it. There
they don't bother, they just dispatch the puppies. So a rather startling
number of Euro dogs carry all four colors.
Old June 9th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article yqAXl.735385$yE1.311423@attbi_s21,
Robin Nuttall wrote:

In terms of color, what I've observed anecdotally is that in Europe,
where blue and fawn are not allowed colors and blue and fawn puppies are
routinely culled (killed), there are actually a lot more dogs who carry
the genes for it. Here, where it's allowed but not really favored, few
dogs carry the recessives because we actively breed against it. There
they don't bother, they just dispatch the puppies. So a rather startling
number of Euro dogs carry all four colors.

Wow. I don't have a problem with culling puppies with maladies, as I
think there are only so many homes who want to and are capable of
dealing with them, but on color alone? I just can't get behind that,
especially if they aren't actively trying to breed against that.

--
Janet Boss
Old June 9th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Robin Nuttall

Robin Nuttall wrote:

Wow. I don't have a problem with culling puppies with maladies, as I
think there are only so many homes who want to and are capable of
dealing with them, but on color alone? I just can't get behind that,
especially if they aren't actively trying to breed against that.

In Germany, dogs are under the eye of "breed wardens." If a bitch has
more than six puppies, the breeder has the choice of either culling them
or losing the ability to breed the bitch again for a certain amount of
time. You can bet that especially if some of those puppies are of an
unallowed (and despised) color, those disappear right quick.

Not at all my cup of tea, but it's considered a matter of fact thing there.
Old June 10th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sionnach

"William Clodius" wrote:

All three were good with people and very handsome, but the first they
got
had hip displasia, the second significant eye problems, and the third is
same sex aggressive.

FWIW, same sex aggression isn't particularly abnormal in adult GSDs,
especially (IME at least) if they're from working lines. That goes for both
male and female, btw.

Old June 11th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
William Clodius[_2_]

sionnach wrote:

"William Clodius" wrote:

All three were good with people and very handsome, but the first they
got
had hip displasia, the second significant eye problems, and the third is
same sex aggressive.

FWIW, same sex aggression isn't particularly abnormal in adult GSDs,
especially (IME at least) if they're from working lines. That goes for both
male and female, btw.

Does that hold in Europe? FWIW the first two were from show lines, but I
don't know about the third. They seemed to be completely upreparred for
the aggression. As near as I can tell through third hand, MIL then wife,
the older female had significant injuries before they got it under
control.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old June 11th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sionnach

"William Clodius" wrote:

Does that hold in Europe?

I believe so, since a number of the dog-aggressive ones I've met have been
from imported lines. Bear in mind that dog aggression is not necessarily
considered a fault in a lot of breeds.

As near as I can tell through third hand, MIL then wife,
the older female had significant injuries before they got it under
control.

Not at all surprising with the breed, and with two females in the same
household; same-sex aggression between females is often the most dangerous
sort. Let me guess - it happened as the younger dog began to mature?

Old June 12th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
William Clodius[_2_]

sionnach wrote:

"William Clodius" wrote:

Does that hold in Europe?

I believe so, since a number of the dog-aggressive ones I've met have been
from imported lines. Bear in mind that dog aggression is not necessarily
considered a fault in a lot of breeds.

As near as I can tell through third hand, MIL then wife,
the older female had significant injuries before they got it under
control.

Not at all surprising with the breed, and with two females in the same
household; same-sex aggression between females is often the most dangerous
sort. Let me guess - it happened as the younger dog began to mature?

I believe late adolescence.