corgi

Old February 10th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pacca

Default corgi

My wife and I are in are early 70's , we are thinking of getting a corgi,
any body have any thoughts on Corgis ?

Old February 11th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Glenn Lyford

My wife and I are in are early 70's , we are thinking of getting a corgi,
any body have any thoughts on Corgis ?

Like any herding dog, they are very active. Like "why won't this dog
settle down, he's been running around playing fetch and chasing after
kids all day" active, not just "this dog wants to play fetch for a
whole ten minutes" active. Good prospect for agility (if you're in it
for the fun, and not the "must win"--they do have short legs after
all) and reasonably good at alerting when anything strange is
happening around the house.

Also like any other herding dog, they can be destructive when they are
bored and not tired out from a lot activity. They are also very
intelligent, and if you don't find constructive ways to channel that,
can drive you nuts with what they can get into. If you do find
constructive ways, like say becoming a "trick" dog, they can be very
rewarding in how quickly they pick up on things. It can be a real
challenge to keep one step ahead of an intelligent dog, don't confuse
intelligence for loyalty or trainability, though those are also things
that corgis are noted for. Think of a toddler that has started
walking and how they get into everything, and you'll be close.

Also be aware that they may try to herd other animals, including
people. I'm not sure which style of herding corgis use most (I'm not
sure if they're more of an eye dog or a nipping dog) but either style
can easily get out of hand with grandkids and the like, particularly
if there is running and screaming which only encourages the behavior.

The one with which I am most familar loves to attack the spray from
the hose, which his owner uses as a reward for backyard agility.

My gut feeling is, unless you are active for your age or have younger
people around you (like grandkids) to help meet the exercise needs of
such an active breed, or the corgi you find is an older rescue that
has learned to settle down, you may find yourself rapidly in over your
head.

Hope that helps,
--Glenn Lyford
Old February 12th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dejablues[_2_]

"Glenn Lyford" wrote in message
[...]

Great post. Glenn.
My parents are in their 70's and have two Corgis. They are experienced dog
people and live a very active lifestyle, and we have a big family with lots
of kids and grandkids so the dogs get a lot of attention, but still they
demand more! If you have a Corgi your life pretty much is all about the
Corgi. Corgis don't just lay around, they are very busy dogs.
And yes, they do herd by nipping (they are cattle dogs) so fast moving kids
and cats will get them going. They are very intelligent and tuned into their
people, they follow you everywhere, watching, waiting for whatever is next.
They can be shown something once, and they have it down. Corgis are
sensitive in that they respond poorly to yelling, punishment, and negative
reinforcement training (not good for any dog, though).
They shed a lot.

My corgi vs My cats Jo Dog behavior 1 June 1st 06 03:17 PM
Corgi Teeth [email protected] Dog health 1 April 8th 06 12:26 AM
welsh corgi Nic Dogs - general 0 November 15th 05 11:40 AM
Corgi Endurance SteveB Dog health 2 April 11th 05 05:27 PM
Doesn't this look more like a Corgi to you? Christy Dog breeds 1 August 11th 03 06:53 AM