Lifelong Immunity – Why Vets Are Pushing Back

Old December 9th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

Default Lifelong Immunity – Why Vets Are Pushing Back

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...immunity-vets/

The duration of immunity for Rabies vaccine, Canine distemper vaccine,
Canine Parvovirus vaccine, Feline Panleukopenia vaccine, Feline
Rhinotracheitis, feline Calicivirus, have all been demonstrated to be
a minimum of 7 years by serology for rabies and challenge studies for
all others.
In the Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and What
We Don’t Know, Proceedings – Canine Infectious Diseases: From Clinics
to Molecular Pathogenesis, Ithaca, NY, 1999, Dr. Ronald Schultz, a
veterinary immunologist at the forefront of vaccine research and chair
of the University of Wisconsin’s Department of Pathobiological
Sciences, outlines the DOI for the following vaccines:
Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:

Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology

Dr. Schultz concludes: “Vaccines for diseases like distemper and
canine parvovirus, once administered to adult animals, provide
lifetime immunity.” “Are we vaccinating too much?” JAVMA, No. 4,
August 15, 1995, pg. 421.

Yet vets continue to vaccinate annually. Dog owners feel that their
vets are doing their dogs a great service by vaccinating every three
years instead of annually – why do we allow it when these studies were
done over thirty years ago and have been replicated time and again by
other researchers?

Ian Tizard states: “With modified live virus vaccines like canine
parvovirus, canine distemper and feline panleukopenia, calicivirus,
and rhinotracheitis the virus in the vaccine must replicate to
stimulate the immune system. In a patient that has been previously
immunized, antibodies from the previous vaccine will block the
replication of the new vaccinal virus. Antibody titers are not
significantly boosted. Memory cell populations are not expanded. The
immune status of the patient is not enhanced.

After the second rabies vaccination, re-administration of rabies
vaccine does not enhance the immune status of the patient at one or
two year intervals. We do not know the interval at which re-
administration of vaccines will enhance the immunity of a significant
percentage of the pet population, but it is certainly not at one or
two year intervals.
Tizard Ian, Yawei N, Use of serologic testing to assess immune status
of companion animals, JAVMA, vol 213, No 1, July 1, 1998.

“The recommendation for annual re-vaccination is a practice that was
officially started in 1978.” says Dr. Schultz. “This recommendation
was made without any scientific validation of the need to booster
immunity so frequently. In fact the presence of good humoral antibody
levels blocks the anamnestic response to vaccine boosters just as
maternal antibody blocks the response in some young animals.”

He adds: “The patient receives no benefit and may be placed at
serious risk when an unnecessary vaccine is given. Few or no
scientific studies have demonstrated a need for cats or dogs to be
revaccinated. Annual vaccination for diseases caused by CDV, CPV2,
FPLP and FeLV has not been shown to provide a level of immunity any
different from the immunity in an animal vaccinated and immunized at
an early age and challenged years later. We have found that annual
revaccination with the vaccines that provide long-term immunity
provides no demonstrable benefit.”

Why then, have vets not embraced the concept of lifelong immunity in
dogs?

“Profits are what vaccine critics believe is at the root of the
profession’s resistance to update its protocols. Without the lure of
vaccines, clients might be less inclined to make yearly veterinary
visits. Vaccines add up to 14 percent of the average practice’s
income, AAHA reports, and veterinarians stand to lose big. I suspect
some are ignoring my work,” says Schultz, who claims some distemper
vaccines last as long as 15 years. “Tying vaccinations into the annual
visit became prominent in the 1980s and a way of practicing in the
1990s. Now veterinarians don’t want to give it up.”

*******************

There is more at the link. I'd like to add one personal comment. What
the studies are showing is that vets are refusing to listen to science
and want the money over the safety of our pets. That's really sad!

Cyndi
Old December 9th 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

You are not current. The in-progress study on rabies vaccine now shows
a 5-year on challenge rating. And some county/city ordinances are still
stuck at 1 year requirements.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 11th 11, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

On Dec 9, 4:02*pm, (Jo Wolf) wrote:
You are not current.

I didn't write the article and it was put out on Dec 6 of this year.
If they used outdated numbers please link to something more current.
However, even if it's not what you consider current it's still ahead
of what many people think and unfortunately that includes vets.

The in-progress study on rabies vaccine now shows
a 5-year on challenge rating. *And some county/city ordinances are still
stuck at 1 year requirements.

Yep. Isn't that sad? Watch for my next post. It will make you even
more sad.

Cyndi

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 12th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

It was the rabies you were "behind" on.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 14th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

On Dec 11, 9:15*pm, (Jo Wolf) wrote:
It was the rabies you were "behind" on.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Again, I didn't write the article, I just posted it so I'm not behind
on anything. You sure like arguing! How about contributing instead.
Post the latest on rabies for instance.