Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Old January 2nd 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Default Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

In the future (next year or so) I want to add another dog
to our family and I want a dog that, on looks alone, will
be a deterrent to any uninvited person attempting to enter
our fenced yard/closed gate.

Have you seen the Discovery show "It Takes a Thief"?
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/it...takesathief.ht
ml

I've seen the "thief" in this show befriend a number of
different dogs, from Pit Bulls to Spaniels. IMO, the best
deterrent, if it has to be a dog, it the yappiest one going.
Appearance is not a deterrent because not everyone is afraid of
appearances. The best you can hope for, from a dog, is noise.

Old January 2nd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 03:45:42 GMT, Rocky wrote:

IMO, the best
deterrent, if it has to be a dog, it the yappiest one going.
Appearance is not a deterrent because not everyone is afraid of
appearances. The best you can hope for, from a dog, is noise.

Then I'd suggest a Sheltie!

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 2nd 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

I wonder if 80 lbs is too high
of a goal. I'm a pretty small person.

I have picked Khan up, although I am only about 20 pounds heavier than he
is. It is not something I'd choose to do, but it is something I can do if I
have to. However, I'm not sure I can hoist him long enough to get him out
of the house, and get him into the SUV. I do have a doggie ramp (that not
even my friend's crippled dog would use) stowed away, just in case I have to
improvise.

I'm not sure I can lift Pan. For now, I'll just have to be religious
about hitting the gym, and hope for the best.

Suja

Old January 2nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Lynne said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

The best you can hope for, from a dog, is noise.

Then I'd suggest a Sheltie!

That's what came to my mind first, but I don't think that
specific breed recommendations are appropriate when we don't
have a whole lot of information from the OP.

Old January 2nd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 03:50:52 GMT, Rocky wrote:

That's what came to my mind first, but I don't think that
specific breed recommendations are appropriate when we don't
have a whole lot of information from the OP.

You are absolutely correct and I shouldn't have suggested any breed! Note
my recommendation to the OP to thoroughly research any breeds she is
considering. I sincerely hope she does, since Shelties (like most breeds)
aren't for everyone.

I actually settled on Shelties years ago after starting off looking for a
large breed. Go figure.

Old January 2nd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

Michael A. Ball wrote in
:

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:20:09 GMT, Paula
wrote:

People who come to our house are always leery of our GSD's. Oddly
enough, they tend to be more afraid of Gunther than Molly even though
Molly is very protective while Gunther has never met a person he didn't
want to walk right up and talk into petting him.

Is Gunther darker, or perhaps have a darker muzzle?

Actually, Molly is far darker. Gunther is your classic mostly brown with
some black mixed in GSD. Molly is black with only some tan. I don't have
a website up, but here are links to Gunther's picture from the rescue I got
them from:

http://www.coastalgsr.org/gunther.htm

Molly's picture is in there, but if you do the Molly.htm, it is a different
Molly. Look at the 2005 adoptees, down toward the end of the page and
she's there in the big list of pictures. Black face, radar ears.
Actually, she looks a little goofy in the picture, but she never ever looks
like that around the people who are afraid of Gunther. That's a pure
playing with family only look.

http://www.coastalgsr.org/GSR-Adopted_2005.htm

Gunther also has a goofy look on his face and his ears don't stick straight
up at attention like he's watching your every move, like Molly's do. He is
about 20 pounds heavier and has a stockier build, so maybe she looks more
refined or something. I don't know. She's usually the one that is barking
while he is just sitting there waiting for the person at the door to come
in so he can figure out how to convince them to pet him.

Paula

Old January 2nd 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

Shelly wrote in
. 4:

I dunno. If I had had that sort of experience, I'd lock my damned
gate. What I would *not* do is count on my dogs to protect me
either by their actions or by their appearance or even by their
mere presence.

I lock my gate AND count on my dogs to protect me by their appearance.
Don't really count on it, actually, but I like the fact that people think
twice about my big dogs. I'm not going to put them in harm's way, but if
harm came my way, it's nice to know that I wouldn't be the easiest target
on the path. OTOH, if someone really wants to get at you personally,
like the stalker concern, the dog isn't going to have the same deterrent
value. Someone just looking for a handy house to burglarize will go on
to a house that is easier to access, but someone who wants you
specifically can get around a dog easier than an alarm system.

Paula
Old January 2nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Michael A. Ball

On 2 Jan 2007 02:47:19 GMT, Shelly wrote:

wrote in
oups.com:
With the exception of the Mastiff/Great Dane recommendation,
what was the point of most of those other replies?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not about to recommend a
breed or type of dog to someone who has provided absolutely no
information about what their lifestyle is like, or what traits they
do and do not want in a dog. Dogs are not automatons, so breed X
might suit you while breed Y would be a disastrous fit.

Whew! No kidding! That's an excellent observation. For my self, I have a
clear answer, but I can't give that answer because I don't want that
particular breed in the hands of just anyone.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old January 2nd 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Michael A. Ball

On 1 Jan 2007 18:21:27 -0800,
wrote:

Good grief.

With the exception of the Mastiff/Great Dane recommendation, what was
the point of most of those other replies?...

Relax. Some folks were merely trying to add a bit of levity. Its not
easy to give an objective answer to your question. No one here knows
you. You might be a bit anti social--which is probably okay with most
folks here. However, you also seem very easily riled, and I don't think
dogs should be around such folks.

Do you happen to have one of those "Beware of Dog" signs on your gate or
near the door bell? That sign wouldn't slow me down much, but your
"Please, ring bell" sign would probably stop me. If the doorbell failed,
and I truly needed to speak with you, your dog's appearance--including
teeth--would probably not stop me.

I see that the folks you're most interesting in repelling are, let's
say, average; which means they are more of an annoyance than a threat.
Size and shape will repel most folks; however, little yappers, which
serve as "alerters" or alarms, would probably be best for you. A nervous
Chihuahua or a territorial terrier should work well for you.

From observation, dogs with dark, preferably black, muzzles are more
intimidating that dogs with white or blond muzzles. A dog with dark eyes
and a dark muzzle works great because their face is hard to read. Hair
over the eyes can work.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old January 2nd 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
On 1 Jan 2007 18:21:27 -0800,
wrote:

Good grief.

[...]

From observation, dogs with dark, preferably black, muzzles are more
intimidating that dogs with white or blond muzzles. A dog with dark eyes
and a dark muzzle works great because their face is hard to read. Hair
over the eyes can work.

I think perhaps my dog Muttley may fit the image of a scary dog, and he has
backed that up (unfortunately) with inappropriate use of his teeth. You can
read more about him and see what he looks like at
www.smart.net/~pstech/MuttleyStory.htm. It is possible that he had been
bred by drug dealers to have the characteristics of other dogs thought of
as intimidating or scary: German Shepherd, Chow, Boxer, and Pit Bull. He is
a solid, powerful 75 lb or so, and has a large head with a black mask, and
brown eyes. He was a rescue from a bad neighborhood in Baltimore, and he
was an Alpha pack master of 3 other dogs including a black Lab and a
Rotweiler.

He is not really a terribly dangerous or aggressive dog, but he has shown
some very serious dog aggression, and he did bite someone after he was
unintentionally provoked. He has calmed down a lot since I got him nearly a
year ago, and he has met many new people without problems. However, he is
initially a bit fearful, and is usually somewhat aloof, even with me. In
that behavior he seems almost a bit wolf-like, as I noticed with a friend's
half-wolf. He was a nice animal, but his rather cold and distant, almost
feral, stare was slightly intimidating and commanded respect.

If you really want a dog that might scare people to keep their distance, I
would suggest checking with Animal Control, shelters, and Humane Societies
for dogs who have not had good luck being homed. Look for a dog that is
large, obviously powerful, and somewhat wolf-like in size and demeanor. You
don't want a truly dangerous dog, but one who is initially wary of you is
likely to scare off a stranger. You don't want a dog that instantly takes
to you and acts goofy and subservient. Such a dog might make a wonderful
pet but will not be what you want. The only problem I see with a dog like
Muttley is that he may be very aggressive toward your other dog, and it
could get ugly if he wants to assert dominance.

I'm really a novice with dogs, and have been criticised a lot here, but I
think I have done a good job with Muttley and he is now family. And the
only thing I fear when walking him at night is that he could get loose and
cause injury to someone or another pet, so I must take precautions and will
need to work with him and probably a good trainer or behaviorist.

Good luck,

Paul and Muttley.