Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Old January 4th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Mary Healey

Default Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

"
wrote in
oups.com:

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
Now I will see what I need to do in order to give him more exercise
and supervised play time. My options include a 4' high 100' x 50'
field fence, or an electric radio fence. I also have a 50' aerial
cable run I might install.

Paul and the MuttMeister

Just to throw this one out there, but my 72 lb mutt can clear a 4 foot
fence completely.

Heh. My 45-lb, 22", 10-yr old ACD has been clearing my 4' fence for 9
years now. The bigger, younger Lab has never even considered jumping the
fence.

He goes out on a tie-out inside the fence that gives him access to about
90% of the yard, but isn't long enough to let him hop the fence and get
hung up. That's for pottying and gentle playtime.
Old January 4th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Mary Healey wrote:

Heh. My 45-lb, 22", 10-yr old ACD has been clearing my 4' fence for 9
years now. The bigger, younger Lab has never even considered jumping the
fence.

He goes out on a tie-out inside the fence that gives him access to about
90% of the yard, but isn't long enough to let him hop the fence and get
hung up. That's for pottying and gentle playtime.

My 48lb Boxer can *easily* clear a 4' fence. She won't, unless it's
to get to me. My previous dog (~60lbs) would have never considered
going over the fence. Right through it? Sure. He was half
bulldozer. (Seriously. I watched him hit--and break!--a section of
welded wire fencing.) And if the fence couldn't be meatheaded
through, he'd use his handy dandy bucket attachment to dig under it.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old January 4th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
"pfoley" wrote in
nk.net:

That way yes; my dog grumbles all the time when she plays with other
dogs, but she hardly ever barks.

That's why I said "verbal (as opposed to vocal)"

To me, a dog being verbal= rumblings and noises while vocalizing= barking.

But being verbal *would* hint that a dog would certainly growl or give

some
auditory indication before an attack....unless its been corrected out of
them, which unfortunately many Rotti owners do.

Tara

============
Ok, I guess then you would say these dogs are verbal then; but not vocal.
Yes, I have heard warning growls from both of these dogs in certain
situations; more from my other Rottie. This Rottweiler I have now does do a
low rumbling noise, as you stated, when playing with other dogs; harmless.
The only time either dog barked was to call me for some reason and that
would be one loud woof. No one ever trained these dogs not to bark; that
is just the way they are, and that is the way I like it.
I don't like yappy dogs.

Old January 4th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Rocky" wrote in message
"pfoley" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

regarding Message-ID:

Had there been some content in your message, I surely would
have spotted it, however, as usual not much there to read.

Why did you respond to it agreeably, then?

==========
Unlike you, I try to be polite and respond to messages in a kindly manner.
Since your response to my message was rude and sarcastic, it makes me ask
myself the question, what type of a person derives pleasure from making
derogatory remarks to someone who has said nothing mean or hurtful to them.
It boggles my mind how so many of this particular type, congregate on this
newsgroup.

Old January 5th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

Mary Healey wrote in
.4:

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
Now I will see what I need to do in order to give him more exercise
and supervised play time. My options include a 4' high 100' x 50'
field fence, or an electric radio fence. I also have a 50' aerial
cable run I might install.

Paul and the MuttMeister

Just to throw this one out there, but my 72 lb mutt can clear a 4
foot fence completely.

Heh. My 45-lb, 22", 10-yr old ACD has been clearing my 4' fence for 9
years now. The bigger, younger Lab has never even considered jumping
the fence.

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence without
supervision. I think my mini poodle could jump a four footer if he
really wanted to. We have a five foot fence and still keep an eye out.
Good thing since Molly decided last week to go visit the neighbor kids
who got a new play structure for Christmas. You know the big wood
looking things with forts at the top and a slide and usually a swing or
two? They got one of those tall enough to look over our fence from their
fort and talk to us and the dogs. Molly has been wanting to check that
out ever since. She ended up dragging a plastic chair from the porch to
the fence and was working on how to use it to get over when I interruped
the process. I know I'm mean, but she's just going to have to chat with
the neighbor boy from our yard.

In the case of a big dog that has attacked dogs and bitten a person,
under any circumstances, I would never ever trust them with a four foot
fence without a leash or tie out. No court is going to think that was
reasonable care to protect other dogs and people should something
unfortunate happen. Aside from the court's perception, how can you live
with yourself when you could have prevented a tragedy with a couple of
feet more fence or a tie out?

Paula
Old January 5th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:35:34 GMT, Paula ,
clicked their heels and said:

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence without
supervision.

I have a 4 foot fence. I supervise to some extent, but not 100%. My
dogs COULD go over it, but do not show any inclination to do so, and
none ever have. More of a concern is the bottom of the fence, that
has no wire or rail, and flexes too easily due to erosion and such.
The bunnies use it for their escape, but in the right places, a dog
could as well.

We have a five foot fence and still keep an eye out.

More often than not, I'm out with them or watching from a door or
window.

In the case of a big dog that has attacked dogs and bitten a person,
under any circumstances, I would never ever trust them with a four foot
fence without a leash or tie out.

Me neither, particularly a chain link or worse yet, a flimsier wire
fence. Nothing to get a foothold (and it seems from early postings,
that this dog got out of a kennel run?). 6' stockade would be my
choice, with barricades at the base. But that ain't cheap.

No court is going to think that was
reasonable care to protect other dogs and people should something
unfortunate happen. Aside from the court's perception, how can you live
with yourself when you could have prevented a tragedy with a couple of
feet more fence or a tie out?

Indeed.
--
Janet Boss
Old January 5th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Tara

"Suja" wrote in
:

"Paula" wrote in message:

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence without
supervision.

Paula, meet Khan. The only "fence" he's ever jumped was about a foot
tall. You could put 10 pounds of steak (or a live fox) on the other
side of the fence, and he is just not going to put enough effort to
jump over. Go through? Maybe. Over? Not a chance.

Finn was the same way. When he was a puppy, all I had to do was *lean* the
broken, small, cheap puppy gate I had against the door frame. I could have
knocked it over by walking by it too fast. But there he'd be when I got
home, napping riiiiight on the other side, positioned "just so" in order
not to touch it.

I still miss that big hunka burning lug.

Tara

Old January 5th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:29:44 GMT, Tara wrote:

Finn was the same way. When he was a puppy, all I had to do was *lean*
the broken, small, cheap puppy gate I had against the door frame. I
could have knocked it over by walking by it too fast. But there he'd
be when I got home, napping riiiiight on the other side, positioned
"just so" in order not to touch it.

I can do you one better. Izzy, my Sheltie won't even go into a room that
previously had a baby gate up but doesn't anymore, not without an
invitation.

OTOH, Roxy has been jumping stuff since about the 2nd or 3rd day after we
brought her home. Baby gates and Xpens were her specialty. I have seen
her clear 4 foot fences with ease (impressive, I think, for her size), but
she has never tried to jump the 4' chain link fence in our yard. Of course
she's only ever out there alone very briefly to eliminate.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 5th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Tara" wrote in message

Finn was the same way. When he was a puppy, all I had to do was *lean* the
broken, small, cheap puppy gate I had against the door frame.

Someone I know has a GSD that won't cross anything he perceives as a
barrier. One day, she couldn't find her dog, and searching all over the
house, finally found him in one of the bedrooms, looking utterly pitiful.
He was being held hostage by the cord of the vacuum cleaner, which hadn't
been put away after use.

Suja