Some people need educating!!

Old November 2nd 03, 12:49 AM
CPit_Dogs

Default Some people need educating!!

This was actually written by UKC VP Cindy Cook, some one you'd assume
was educated.

* MYTH: The " Pit bull" breeds have been selectively bred for the
purpose of dog fighting." In fact, the overwhelming majority of
breeders is, and has been for decades, selectively breeding the bull
terrier breeds as companion and working animals. Dog fighters
represent a negligible minority of the fanciers of these breeds. Most
dog fighters are not selectively breeding at all and few, if any, of
their dogs are even purebred. These people are not educated in the
methodology of selecting and fixing particular traits in a breed. They
look for big strong dogs that can be made mean enough, usually through
abuse and neglect, to fight with other dogs and to menace people.

I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE WHAT I'VE READ. ANYONE WHO TRULY KNOWS THE APBT
KNOWS THEY CAN BE DOG AGGRESSIVE AND WANT TO FIGHT DESPITE TRAINING
THEM OTHERWISE AND THAT THEY HAVE BEEN SELECTIVLY BRED FOR GAMENESS
WHICH WAS TESTED BY FIGHTING THE DOGS AGAINST ONE ANOTHER. IT IS TRUE
A LOT OF BREEDER BRED FOR THINGS OTHER THAN GAMENESS, AS DOG FIGHTING
IS ILLEGAL NOW AND OTHER USES HAVE BEEN FOUND. THERE ARE IN FACT STILL
A LARGE NUMBER OF DOGMEN OUT THERE, JUST FEW PEOPLE KNOW WHO THEY ARE.
"DOG FIGHTERS" AS SHE CALLS THEM SELECTIVLY BREED FOR GAMENESS
OTHERWISE THERE WOULDN'T BE CULLING OF CURS, OR THE NEED TO SEE WHICH
DOG IS GAME AND THE BEST TO BREED. THEIR DOGS ARE IN FACT THE MOST
PURE OF ALL APBTS, AS MIXING THEM WITH CURS WOULD ONLY MAKE THEM CURS
AND NOT GAME AT ALL. GAMENESS IS AN EASY TRAIT TO LOOSE AND BREEDING
THE DOG WITH A CUR YOU WILL GET DOGS WHO CUR. I HAVE HOWEVER SEEN SO
MANY PULL DOGS MIXED WITH CURS ITS UNBELIEVABLE THE MOST POPULAR BEING
BANDOGS, AND OTEHRS MIXED WITH CANE CORSO OR BULLMASTIFF AND THESE
DOGS ARE REGISTERED AS PURE WHEN THEY ARE NOT.
MANY OF THE OLDER DOGMEN I HAVE MET WHO HAVE BEEN BREEDING FOR YEARS,
EVEN GENERATIONS KNOW A LOT ABOUT BREEDING, MORE THEN ANY SHOW BREEDER
I'VE TALKED TO. NOT JUST DOGMEN BUT I'VE ALSO FOUND BOTH GREYHOUND AND
ESPECIALLY HORSE BREEDERS KNOW A LOT ABOUT BREEDING, SELECTIVE
BREEDING AND GENETICS.
SOME OF THE OTHER BREEDERS DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHY REDNOSE DOGS
CANNOT HAVE BLACK NOSE PUPS.
"They look for big strong dogs that can be made mean enough, usually
through
abuse and neglect, to fight with other dogs and to menace people."
IS THAT SO? MOST OF THE ONES I HAVE MET HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN OVER 35LBS.
I HAVE MET SOME WHO WERE ALMOST 50LBS BUT THOSE ARE FEW AND FAR
BETWEEN. THEY PREFER SMALLER DOGS FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS. ANY DOG CAN
BE MADE MEAN DESPITE SIZE AND ALL APBTS ARE STRONG, THE SMALLER
PUREBRED ONES USUALLY WIN MOST WEIGHT PULLED PER BODY POUND AGAINST
THE BIG BUR MUTTS. FIGHTING DOGS ARE NO MENACE TO POEPLE.

* MYTH: The " Pit Bull" breeds have been selectively bred to develop a
strong fighting instinct and a low level of fighting inhibition, which
make these breeds of dogs hazards to humans as well as to other
animals. Once again, I must point out the thousands of bull terrier
dogs who regularly participate every year without incident in
conformation shows, obedience trials, agility trials, weight pulls,
and other events sponsored by U.K.C. and other registries. By the way,
a review of the history of these breeds reveals that the 19th century
breeders selected dogs that would not attack humans because there were
always three people in the pit with the dogs. The dogs had to be
willing to be pulled out of the fight by their owner without causing
injury to the owner. The worst of the old fighting dogs were NEVER
bred or encouraged to attack people. That is a twentieth-century
phenomenon that has grown up with the crack epidemic in our cities.
The drug dealers and gamblers who keep "attack" dogs are certainly not
wasting their time or energy selectively breeding these dogs. They buy
dogs from irresponsible breeders and keep the mean ones.

OK LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT THESE "DOG FIGHTER" KNOW HOW TO SELECTIVLY
BREED PEOPLE FRIENDLY DOGS AND THEY DON'T GET BIT BY CULLING MAN
BITERS, BUT THEY AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO BREED GAME DOGS BY ONLY
BREEDING THE GAME ONES AND CULLING OUT THE CURS? YEAH THAT REALLY
MAKES A LOT OF SENSE, NOT!!!
AND IF THIS IS TRUE WHY WOULD IT MATTER I THOUGHT THESE PEOPLE DON'T
BREED PURE DOGS, SO THEIR DOGS AREN'T APBTS ANYWAY? THEY ARE JUST BIG,
STRONG DOGS MADE MEAN AND A MENACE TO PEOPLE, HMM CONTRADICTORY!

ITS NOT JUST THUGS IN INNER CITIES ITS LOW LIVES & BYBS EVERYWHERE,
BELIEVE ME I HAVE NEIGHBORS LIKE THIS WITH DIFFERENT BREEDS APBTS,
ROTTS, SHEPHERDS AND EVEN MIXES OF THESE BREEDS, NOW THEY ARE EVEN
TRYING TO HIT THE RARE BREEDS, PRESAS AND CORSOS MAINLY(to make more
money b/c they are rare and have more powerful guard dogs). IF THOSE
BREEDERS AREN'T TOO CAREFUL THERE BREED MAY END UP IN THE SAME LIGHT
AS THE PIT BULL. NOT TOO MENTION JUST PLAIN UNEDUCATED/IRRESPONSIBLE
OWNERS THAT NEVER TRAIN OR SOCIALIZE THERE DOGS AND LET THEM ROAM THE
NEIGHBORHOOD FREELY.

* MYTH: The " Pit Bull" breeds have a tendency to attack even those
persons that exhibit no provocative behavior. Dog attacks have become
such media events that virtually every reported dog bite is
transformed into an unprovoked attack on an innocent child by a
semi-mythical monster dog, the dreaded " Pit Bull." Most are
UNPROVOKED and by breeds other than the Bull Terrier breeds.

VERY TRUE I HAVE SEEN DOZENS OF CASES WHERE SOMEONE WAS BIT BY A BREED
OTHER THAN A PIT BULL AND YET PEOPLE CLAIM IT WAS A PIT BULL.
ON THE OTHER HAND THEY USUALLY ARE UNPROVOKED, AT LEAST MOST OF THE
ONES I HAVE SEEN ARE. SOME YES WERE PROVOKED OTHERS A CHILD IS ACTING
IN A NORMAL FASHION AND MAY NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN MESSING WITH THE DOG IN
ANYWAY. EITHER WAY THE CHILD SHOULDN'T BE ATTACKED BECAUSE OF A STUPID
DOG OWNER. I THINK THAT OWNERS SHOULD RECIEVE SERIOUS PRISON TIME AND
FINES WHEN THEIR DOGS HAVE BEEN BITING PEOPLE AND FINALLY ATTACK/KILL.

* MYTH: The " Pit Bull" breeds have a tendency to fight to the death
and never quit a fight once engaged, which results in more severe
injuries than those inflicted by other breeds. It is the nature of
animals to avoid fights where possible, to fight only as long as is
necessary, and to quit when beaten or when the opponent concedes.

FIRST OFF PIT BULLS ARE NOT OTHER DOGS. THEY HAVE BEEN BREED FOR A
CERTAIN REASON AND THAT WAS DOG FIGHTING AND BULL BAITING. ITS VERY
TRUE, LET ME STATE THAT AGAIN VERY TRUE THAT ONCE THEY ARE ENGAGED IN
COMBAT THEY ARE NOT LIKELY TO STOP WITHOUT INFLICTING SERIOUS INJURY
OR KILLING THE OTHER DOG. THAT IS WHY IT IS SO VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO
LEAVE A PIT UNSUPERVISED WITH ANOTHER DOG JUST INCASE A FIGHT WERE TO
HAPPEN. NOW BY ALL MEANS NO NOT MANY WILL FIGHT ANOTHER BULLDOG TO THE
DEATH AND NOT QUIT. WHAT USUALLY HAPPENS IN THESE SITUATIONS WHERE TWO
PITS HAVE FOUGHT IS ONE DID QUIT FIGHTING PROBABLY NOT TOO LONG INTO
THE FIGHT AND FOR THAT FACT WAS KILLED, THEN YOU COME HOME AND YOUR
PIT BULL IS WAITING HAPPY FOR YOU AFTER FINISHING OFF THE OTHER DOG
BECAUSE IT QUIT. THIS CAN BE AVOIDED BY KEEPING THEM SEPERATE WHEN NO
ONE IS AROUND. SO EVEN IF THE "OPPONENT" "CONCEDES" THE OTHER DOG MAY
NOT QUIT UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE.

IF DOGS FOUGHT TO THE DEATH YOU WOULDN'T SEE CHAMPION FIGHTING DOGS
WHO CAN WIN 7,8 OR + MATCHES AND NEVER BECOME A GRAND CHAMP BECAUSE
ONCE A DOG LOOSES A MATCH ITS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR GR CH TITLE. NO MATTER
HOW MANY MORE TIMES ITS MATCHED AND WINS, DUH!!

"Dog fighting created unnatural situations where dogs were not allowed
concede or to flee. Naturally, they fought to the death where they had
no alternative. Remember, too, these were artificially stimulated
attacks on other dogs--not attacks on persons."

LOL, GET SOME EDUCATION. DOGS WERE VERY MUCH ALLOWED TO BOTH CONCEED
AND FLEE. THAT IS HOW YOU GET LOSERS HUN, OR CURS WHICH EVER YOU
PREFER. A DOG CONCEEDS WHEN IT 1. STANDS THE SCRATCH 2. QUITS FIGHTING
AND REFUSES TO FIGHT BACK, AND AGAIN WONT SCRATCH WHEN TAKEN TO THE
LINE. 3. JUMPS THE PIT WALLS IN EXCAPE.
4. SOME DOGS ARE UNABLE TO CONTINUE TO FIGHT OR HAVE TAKEN A LOT OF
DAMGE. THESE DOGS ARE PICKED UP BY THEIR OWNERS IN ORDER TO SAVE THEIR
LIVES. THEY SILL LOOSE THE MATCH BUT AT LEAST YOU STILL HAVE YOUR DOG.
THE RISK OF THE DOG BEING KILLED OUTWAYS THE FACT THAT IT WILL BE
LOOSING THE MATCH.
HASN'T THIS PERSON TAKEN ANYTIME TO LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT THE BREED.
THESE DOGS WERE NEVER FOUGHT TO THE DEATH. THAT WASN'T THE POINT. A
DOG WOULD MOST LIKELY QUIT BEFORE THAT AND THE OTHER DOG WOULD BE THE
WINNER OR ONE WOULD BE PICKED UP BY ITS HANDLER SO IT WOULDN'T BE
KILLED.
LETS ALSO REMEMBER THAT THEY WERE ONLY STIMULATED BY SEEING THE OTHER
DOG IN THE PIT, BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY THEY ENJOYED IT. SOME DOGS GO
HOG NUTS WHEN THEY KNOW THEIR GOING TO A MATCH. NO ENCOURAGING IN
ANYWAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I'VE EVEN SEEN DOGS WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A
FIGHT AND DISCOURAGED FROM IT GO WILD WHEN THEY SEE ANOTHER DOG
WHINING AND SCREAMING, GETTING MORE FUSTRATED BECAUSE THEY AREN'T
ALLOWED TO DO SO. WHEN A DOG DIDN'T SCRATCH IT WASN'T FORCED TO FIGHT
ANY LONGER, THE MATCH WAS OVER.

JUST LET YOURSELF BE ENLIGHTENED AND LEARN THE TRUTH. THE TRUTH CAN
SAVE LIVES AND IS ALWAYS WORTH LETTING PEOPLE KNOW. WHY HIDE OR TRY TO
DENY THE TRUTH OF THE BREED. I THOUGHT THAT IS WAS BREEDERS/OWNERS
RESPONSIBILITY TO LET OTHERS KNOW THE TRUTH? EVEN THOUGH MOST DON'T
AGREE WITH DOG FIGHTING IT SHOULD STILL BE UNDERSTOOD THAT IT IS VERY
MUCH A PART OF THE BREED'S HISTORY AND ACCOUNTS FOR SOME OF ITS
CHARACTARISTICS. SAYING DOG FIGHTING HAS HAD NO AFFECT ON THESE DOGS
IS LIKE SAYING BLOODHOUNDS DON'T HAVE A NATURAL TENDENCY TO TRACK, OR
SHEPHERDS TO HEARD, WHICH OF COURSE THEY DO I HAVE OWNED SHEPHERD AND
ONE THING THEY LOVE IS HERDING WHETHER THEY ARE A VETERAN OR THIS IS
THEIR FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH A SHEEP. THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO AND JUST
NEED A LITTLE DIRECTION.
Old November 2nd 03, 06:35 AM
Tee

My take was that the author is referring to street dog fighters/breeders,
not "dogmen." If that is the case then she pretty much hit the nail on the
head although the "abuse" part I'd question. By neglect I assume she's
talking of the people who keep their dogs on heavy chains, tied to trees or
dog houses...not indoor pets.

--
Tara

Old November 2nd 03, 08:36 AM
culprit

"Tee" wrote in message
My take was that the author is referring to street dog fighters/breeders,
not "dogmen." If that is the case then she pretty much hit the nail on

the
head

i tend to agree with you. i think the OP was specifically looking for
things to rant about, based on the fact that he went off on several tangents
not even mentioned in Ms. Cook's writings.

you'll find that this is very common in the pit bull world. there seem to
be four major groups of pit bull enthusiasts/owners.

first, like the OP, the ones who glorify "dogmen", and constantly go on
about the past. they tend to believe there is only one way to "game test" a
dog, and can repeat fights for you, blow by blow, as "historical accounts",
of course. they care a lot about bloodlines and think any mixed dog or non
ADBA papered dog is a cur or a mongrel. they do seem to care a lot about
breeding and often have very organized and well researched breeding
programs. while their dogs are often chained in a yard, they're usually
well fed and well exercised.

second, is the pit thug. they see snarling pit bulls on chains in rap
videos and want one of their own. they may try to fight them on street
corners, matching them against other breeds, or dogs of different sizes and
experience. they breed indiscriminately, with no regard for conformation or
even keeping the breed pure. they tend to prize bigger dogs and dogs with
big heads. these are they guys who leave a loosing dog on the sidewalk to
die, rather than nurse it back to health or kill it humanely. they think
that certain colors of dog make better fighters. they're responsible for
most of the current bad press pit bulls get at the moment. and they're the
ones Ms. Cook was talking about in the first couple of paragraphs. these
are the dog fighters that the "dogmen" like to pretend don't exist. they
use pit bulls as accessories (canine bling bling, if you will). some of
these folks honestly love their dogs and don't fight them, but love the
tough image. unfortunately, they seem to be the most likely to
"accidentally" breed their dogs.

next is the opposite extreme, the pet bull owner. these folks tend to get a
pit bull before they know much about the breed. they keep them inside as
well loved house pets, and often obtain their dogs from rescues and
shelters. they abhor all things fight related, and often have no interest
in the breed's history. they think owning a break stick makes you an
automatic dog fighter, and are wary of weight pull, because it seems cruel.
they'd probably be against BSL if they knew what it was, but probably have
never heard of it. they tell everyone how wonderful their dogs are, and
probably invite trouble by letting their dogs and young children romp
unsupervised. "but he was such a sweet dog!"

last is the middle ground. folks who love their pet bulls, but also
understand their past, and how that affects their present behavior, but
without the need to glorify that past. they're crusaders against BSL and
unfair insurance and housing practices. they can see the difference between
a "dogman" and a pit thug, without the need to feel that one is any better
than the other. they work with shelters and rescue, and try to educate
others on the breed with every chance they get. most would not breed their
own dogs, but may not be opposed to a well bred dog for conformation or
working purposes. they own break sticks and know how much fun a spring pole
can be. they train their dogs well, and get them involved in all sorts of
activities, agility, weight pull, therapy, you name it. they know that
every dog should be a perfect example of the breed.

i aspire to make it into that last group. i definitely started as more of a
pet bull owner, but i think i'm much more middle ground these days.

yeah, this is way simplified, but i think it's pretty accurate.

-kelly

Old November 3rd 03, 03:21 PM
Sionnach

yeah, this is way simplified, but i think it's pretty accurate.

Yep- you're fairly accurate from what I've seen.
Some things I think you missed, though:

1. A lot of owners in the "thug" category aren't interested so much in dog
aggression, as in wanting a mean dog to intimidate *humans* with. Some of
them have deliberately bred for human aggression- including doing things
like crossing in Chows- some "train" to encourage it.
2. A lot of "pet bull" owners are convinced that the breed's fighting
history is myth or hyperbole, and/or believe that simply letting a Pit play
with other dogs is enough to prevent the dog ever showing dog-dog
aggression. "It's all in how you raise them" is their mantra, followed by
"S/he has never done THAT before!" when the dog starts going after other
dogs as it hits adolescence.

3. There's crossover between the types of owners. For a perfect example,
the whack-job that we had to call the cops on several times last summer. He
fits your first category, because he's very well versed in the history of
the breed, and displays most of the characteristics you list; let him get
talking to you, and he'll go on and on about the breed's history (I think
he's got at least one of the Stratton books memorized).
But he also fits category two, since he gets his jollies by taking his
large intact male Pit to parks where people let their dogs offlead. He
deliberately hangs near groups of dogs playing, lets other dogs approach,
then lets his dog attack them; he laughs when people protest, and smugly
tells them they can't touch him, legally, because his dog is leashed.
Not to mention that he boasts to women about his dog's sexual prowess, and
on one occasion unleashed the dog & encouraged it to try to mate* with a
spayed female. When the dog's owner protested, he said "You know your dog
wants it as much as mine does."

*Yes, the Pit actually attempted the act- the female was taken to the vet,
and had bruising and tears around the vaginal area.

Old November 4th 03, 11:21 PM
CPit_Dogs

Sorry if this may have offended anyone or they didn't agree with it. I
wasn't merely "going on a rant" I was stating my opinion/disagreements
with what the other said. I may have stated some of my opinion on
things other than what was in Cook's writing but they were still
relevant.
I never set out to "glorify dogmen" I call it how i see it. I never
really got into matching dogs spefically, I only went off some that
was already mentioned.
Most breeders should care about bloodlines regardless of what they are
breeding for. Any mixed dog IS a CUR if you didn't know, any dog other
than a pit bull is a cur. If you mix it with a pit its still a cur and
a mongrel.
I think the ADBA is a JOKE if you need to know. Just go to one of
their shows sometime, it won't be but a minute before you see a huge
cur mixed pull dog.
A lot of dogmen don't respect the ADBA too much. Many rather have non
papered dogs all together. There are some worthwhile registries out
there Sporting Dog Registry is a good one and one I'll soon be
swithing over to it. There are a lot more regs. out there better than
the ADBA.
I don't think you can make generalized assumptions about people. At
least not about me, you don't know me.
I'm sure there are different catagories of people who own these dogs,
obviously as with anything else.

There are the show fanciers who breed based on dogs looks and
conformation. And of course the pull dog people to, some do both show
and pull in the AADR, ADBA, ect. Then there are those who have UKC
reg. dogs and only paricipate in the conformation aspect. Although
some of the UCK people find "work" for their dogs too.

Old November 5th 03, 01:16 AM
culprit

"CPit_Dogs" wrote in message
om...
I don't think you can make generalized assumptions about people. At
least not about me, you don't know me.
I'm sure there are different catagories of people who own these dogs,
obviously as with anything else.

There are the show fanciers who breed based on dogs looks and
conformation. And of course the pull dog people to, some do both show
and pull in the AADR, ADBA, ect. Then there are those who have UKC
reg. dogs and only paricipate in the conformation aspect. Although
some of the UCK people find "work" for their dogs too.

hey, i said it was the simplified version. :-) but you're right, i forgot
about the conformation folks. i have a hard time believing anyone breeds
pit bulls on purpose these days, just based on how many of them die in
shelters each day.

-kelly

Old November 8th 03, 08:46 AM
CPit_Dogs

Okay Im sorry if your DOGS happen to disagree with me thats just too
bad, but what do they know? How high were there IQ scores?

A Cur is difined as
1. A cowardly person
2. Any breed of dog other than that of the American Pit Bull Terrier
3. Any APBT who curs i.e. Quits in a fight, Stands the line, jumps the
pit, ect

If they would like a demonstration bring them over with anyone of my
bulldogs and watch the English Setter, White Sheperd and GSD cur as
quick as they can. LOL J/K that would be heartless and cruel as a cur
cannot do battle with an APBT nor were they ment to. Those 3 breeds of
dogs were not bred for dog fighting and no one should expect them to.
They have there own purposes in this world.

wrote in message . ..
When the ancient war dogs did battle on 4 Nov 2003 14:21:41 -0800,
(CPit_Dogs) did speak the following bit of
wisdom:

...any dog other than a pit bull is a cur.

My English Setter, White Shepherd and German Shepherd Dog heartily and
completely disagree and disapprove of the above statement!

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"

Old November 8th 03, 12:38 PM
culprit

"CPit_Dogs" wrote in message
om...
Okay Im sorry if your DOGS happen to disagree with me thats just too
bad, but what do they know? How high were there IQ scores?

A Cur is difined as
1. A cowardly person
2. Any breed of dog other than that of the American Pit Bull Terrier
3. Any APBT who curs i.e. Quits in a fight, Stands the line, jumps the
pit, ect

not in my dictionary.

Main Entry: cur
Pronunciation: 'k&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, short for curdogge, from (assumed) Middle English
curren to growl (perhaps from Old Norse kurra to grumble) + Middle English
dogge dog
Date: 13th century
1 : a mongrel or inferior dog
2 : a surly or cowardly fellow

i think you're assuming that all other breeds are inferior to the APBT.
while i agree in spirit ;-), it's a pretty silly generalization to make. if
you have a greyhound and a pit bull trying to catch a rabbit, the pit bull
is going to be the cur. if you have a BC and a pit bull trying to herd
sheep, the pit bull is going to be the cur. if you have a pit bull and a
poodle trying to catch a bull by the nose and hold it, the poodle will be
the cur.

it's all a matter of perspective.

-kelly