Pros & Cons on owning a Chihuahua?

Old June 15th 05, 02:46 PM
Robin Nuttall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:27:32 -0500, shelly wrote:

on 2005-06-15 at 08:20 wrote:

of course. Everything strikes you as odd... doesn't it.

if you insist?

I see Diddy is still stalking you Shelly. Lucky you! Me, I tend to sort of look
askance at any information from someone so mentally unbalanced that they must
follow another person from post to post in an attempt to make that person look
bad--goes past pettiness to mentally ill IMO.

Old June 15th 05, 03:04 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:56 GMT ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ whittled these words:

We're no longer complete strangers. I've called her at least 10 times and
we've talked a looooong time about puppies, dogs, cats, fibromyalgia, social
security, vets, dog insurance, breeder clubs, organizations, rescue, etc.

Excellent. What did you learn about patella luxation, PRA, open health
registries, which kind of cardiac issues appear in the breed?

I think chances of finding a chihuahua breeder who checks for genetic
health problems is relatively small.

Yorkshire terriers aren't much better but here is a way to get an
understanding of how breed culture applies here.

First, no matter how bad a person is a web design I think you will agree
that they will tend to first include on a web site the things they believe
are important. What kind of health information can you find on the
chihuahua club web site?

Now look at how club plitics influnces cautions and information given to
outsiders. Compare
http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/teacup.htm
and
http://www.ytca.org/faq.html

I can assure you that the problems discussed in the latter occur equally
in the former, but which is more forthright?

She's not a crappy breeder. I found a Chi club in my area, and she is known
in there as a local Chi breeder for central & upstate NY.

So if you believe she is a good breeder what steps is she taking to
improve breed health? And are those steps consistent with the advice given
in "Control of CAnine Genetic Disease" by Padgett. And if they are not,
do you belive those steps are nevertheless reasonable and adequate, and
why do you believe that?

Fourteen day return policy if my vet finds the dog to have problems.

Do you think that shows a high level of confidence in the health of her
dogs - as to conditions that won't become apparent and crrppling for from
months to years? As a chihuahua breeder she proably believes it is
adequate. In other breeds, much healthier breeds, the rock bottom
acceptable period is two years - and no return of the dog/puppy required.

Sounds pretty much like you will fit right in with the breed culture. Its
a personal choice thing. It appears you are comfortable with your
choices. I hope it works out well.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 15th 05, 03:13 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 13:46 wrote:

I see Diddy is still stalking you Shelly. Lucky you!

yes, my cup, she do runneth over with luck and, um, stuff.

Me, I tend to sort of look askance at any information from
someone so mentally unbalanced that they must follow another
person from post to post in an attempt to make that person
look bad--goes past pettiness to mentally ill IMO.

oye. when i said that having my very own pet troll might be
fun, i meant the ceramic kind you stick in your garden. or
are those gnomes? see, kids, when your parents tell you to be
careful what you wish for, you really ought to listen to them!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 15th 05, 04:23 PM
Janet Puistonen

shelly wrote:

if the tone of certain posts bothers you and strikes you as
counter productive, then it seems to me that the best solution
would be to lead by example. if you are unwilling to offer up
the sort of advice that you feel is appropriate, the remaining
options are for the OP to get *no* help or for the OP to get
help with a side of attitude.

I am perfectly willing to offer up the sort of advice I think is
appropriate, and have done so in other threads. By the time I started
reading this particular thread, it was all over but the shouting.

I agree that leading by example is the best way, and it is an aberration for
me personally to have posted net-nannyish stuff. That was my $.02, and
everyone is free to ignore me.

I would suggest, though, that "help" with a side of attitude is often no
help at all, because it is dismissed.

Believe me, I do not underestimate the frustration that people feel at the
same questions coming over and over, the people asking why they can't do
what they like with "their" property (ie, random breed), the people who
think dogs are fine tied up in the yard, yadda, yadda, yadda. It just makes
you want to reach through the monitor and rip their throat out sometimes, I
know.

Old June 15th 05, 04:24 PM
Janet Puistonen

shelly wrote:
on 2005-06-15 at 08:09 wrote:

Perhaps not to THAT individual, but to others.

i'm referring to posts specifically to Laurie. it always
strikes me as a bit odd when someone complains about others
neglecting to provide what that s/he has not her/himself
provided.

I suggest you look at Diane Goodman's reply to Laurie for an example of good
advice presented in a manner that is likely to be taken seriously. How Diane
has managed to participate in this ng for what must be at least a decade and
maintain this level of sanity and civility I don't know, but I do know that
she has done a lot of good. I always recommend her website to people who are
thinking of getting a puppy.

Old June 15th 05, 05:20 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 15:23 wrote:

I am perfectly willing to offer up the sort of advice I think
is appropriate, and have done so in other threads. By the
time I started reading this particular thread, it was all
over but the shouting.

that makes no sense to me. you had a choice of offering what
you consider to be good, kind help to the OP or chastising
someone else. now, i'm all for the latter (duh!), but under
the circumstances, i find your decision odd (hi, diddy!).
from where i'm sitting, it looks like you whined about the
crap, which ended up adding to the crap.

I would suggest, though, that "help" with a side of attitude
is often no help at all, because it is dismissed.

of course. but that wasn't the only flavor of help the OP
received. several people, myself included (hi, diddy!), gave
her information with nary a smidgen of attitude.

Believe me, I do not underestimate the frustration that
people feel at the same questions coming over and over, the
people asking why they can't do what they like with "their"
property (ie, random breed), the people who think dogs are
fine tied up in the yard, yadda, yadda, yadda.

i think, in this particular case, the frustration stems from
the OP seeming, at least, to understand the the breeder she's
dealing with is not responsible, but still expressing
willingness to deal with her. i don't know about you, but i
can perfectly understand being irritated by someone who asks
for an opinion, appears to generally understand the given
opinion and to agree with it, but who seems bent on
disregarding that opinion. what do you say to someone like
that? clearly, any kind, helpful information has been and
likely will be disregarded. about all you can do, i think, is
beat your head against a brick wall, ignore the poster in the
future or vent your frustration at them. i can't say i would
blame someone for choosing either of the last two options.

Old June 15th 05, 05:21 PM
Robin Nuttall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:13:16 -0500, shelly wrote:

on 2005-06-15 at 13:46 wrote:

I see Diddy is still stalking you Shelly. Lucky you!

yes, my cup, she do runneth over with luck and, um, stuff.

Me, I tend to sort of look askance at any information from
someone so mentally unbalanced that they must follow another
person from post to post in an attempt to make that person
look bad--goes past pettiness to mentally ill IMO.

oye. when i said that having my very own pet troll might be
fun, i meant the ceramic kind you stick in your garden. or
are those gnomes? see, kids, when your parents tell you to be
careful what you wish for, you really ought to listen to them!

Yeah, I had a neighbor once with garden gnomes. They too were tacky and
inappropriate but not, fortunately, nutso.

Old June 15th 05, 05:23 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 15:24 wrote:

I suggest you look at Diane Goodman's reply

Diane Blackman. and yes, i've read her replies. i read
*everything* Diane posts.

to Laurie for an example of good advice presented in a manner
that is likely to be taken seriously.

Diane was not the only one who attempted the kind, helpful
approach with Laurie. others gave up more quickly, but that
does not mean they did not try.

How Diane has managed to participate in this ng for what must
be at least a decade and maintain this level of sanity and
civility I don't know, but I do know that she has done a lot
of good. I always recommend her website to people who are
thinking of getting a puppy.

i agree! Diane absolutely *rocks*.

Old June 15th 05, 05:30 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 16:21 wrote:

Yeah, I had a neighbor once with garden gnomes. They too were
tacky and inappropriate but not, fortunately, nutso.

i *live* for tacky and inappropriate!

speaking of, i really want one of these shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/bridezilla/156657

nutso, though, i can live without.

Old June 15th 05, 05:34 PM
Janet Puistonen

shelly wrote:
on 2005-06-15 at 15:24 wrote:

I suggest you look at Diane Goodman's reply

Diane Blackman. and yes, i've read her replies. i read
*everything* Diane posts.

Oops. I knew that.