Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy.

Old July 13th 03, 12:29 AM
M&M

Default Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding spaying a female dog. A friend of mine spayed
her 7 month old puppy and right after that the puppy lost control of her
bladder.
My friend and her husband been noticing that this puppy having bouts where
she appears to be unable to control her bladder, like dribble of spots
around the house. It comes and goes and sometimes she is fine for a few days
and then starts dribbiling again. The vet gave her some antibiotics for
bladder infection.
The vet said that was the result of the spaying. And another vet said that
it was a result of early spaying. Should they have waited for a year before
they spayed her? She said that the thought behind early spaying is to
prevent breast cancer, but the trade off is that you
risk conducting the surgical procedure before everything is developed, which
can weaken the urethra sphincter in the process.

After what she told me, we didn't want to neuter our 8 month puppy then too.
We decided to wait until he was 1 year old for some reasons (don't know
whether this applies to a male dog or not). We have been noticing that our
male dog (he's now 10 months old) has been "peeing" on us like he couldn't
control his bladder whenever we said "NO" if he does something wrong. He
would get into submissive position but he would also pee on us! We would
take him out after that but he wouldn't pee. On another occasion, he would
also do the same thing when he got excited and jump all over us and peed.
This never happened before and it only started within the past month. What
could be wrong? Is it because he's not neutered yet? Would it fix the
problem when he's neutered?

Thank you in advance.

Old July 13th 03, 01:13 AM
Supergoof

M&M wrote ...

She said that the thought behind early spaying is to
prevent breast cancer,

I always understood the idea was to spay the dog before she comes into heat.

but the trade off is that you
risk conducting the surgical procedure before everything is developed,

which
can weaken the urethra sphincter in the process.

As far as I know, the vast majority of spayed female dogs don't have this
problem.

After what she told me, we didn't want to neuter our 8 month puppy then

too.
We decided to wait until he was 1 year old for some reasons (don't know
whether this applies to a male dog or not).

I don't think it applies to males, their neutering is 'external' (removing
the testicles), spaying is removing the uterus and ovaries, much more
invasive, much greater risk of complications.

We have been noticing that our
male dog (he's now 10 months old) has been "peeing" on us like he couldn't
control his bladder whenever we said "NO" if he does something wrong. He
would get into submissive position but he would also pee on us! We would
take him out after that but he wouldn't pee. On another occasion, he would
also do the same thing when he got excited and jump all over us and peed.
This never happened before and it only started within the past month. What
could be wrong? Is it because he's not neutered yet? Would it fix the
problem when he's neutered?

Sounds like submissive peeing - some dogs get so frightened when they are
told off they pee. Sometimes this is a result of being smacked too hard, or
just being shouted at too loudly (mum and dad's old dog used to do this when
dad roared at her!). But some dogs just seem to be more sensitive to our
disapproval.

Not sure how you'd fix it, but it's definitely nothing to do with neutering.
I'm sure plenty of other folks here have ideas on how to stop submissive
peeing.

Rachel
(New Zealand)