Dogs & Cats help please

Old March 12th 04, 04:14 PM
Atom1

Default Dogs & Cats help please

I posted this before, I'm hoping someone can help. I want to adopt this cat
but my dog is grown and my previous attempts to introduce him to cats (2 at
different times) he would tree and they finally ran off (they were strays
too). Is it possible to successfully introduce a grown dog (inexperienced
with cats) and grown cat (experienced with dogs)? I would not have the cat
indoors, but the dog is most of the time.
TIA
Michelle
Italy

Old March 12th 04, 04:36 PM
Tee

"Atom1" wrote in message
I posted this before, I'm hoping someone can help. I want to adopt this

cat
but my dog is grown and my previous attempts to introduce him to cats (2

at
different times) he would tree and they finally ran off (they were strays
too). Is it possible to successfully introduce a grown dog (inexperienced
with cats) and grown cat (experienced with dogs)? I would not have the

cat
indoors, but the dog is most of the time.
TIA
Michelle
Italy

It depends on the individual dog. If he displays prey drive, rather than
"oh I wanna play with you" curiosity, then don't get a cat. He'll kill it
the first chance he gets. You'll have to always be on alert every time you
take him outside, or have your door open with only a screen/storm door
keeping him from the outside. If he sees the cat, he'll lunge. If its just
anxious curiosity, which could still result in harm to the cat, that your
dog displays then you should be able to successfully get the two animals to
at least ignore each other after a long time spent conditioning. You have
to consider how the cat may provoke the dog into being too heavy handed or
aggressive as well. If the cat feels threatened, or isn't very used to
dogs, a hiss or swat of the paw may be all it takes to set the dog off. If
the dog just wants to be friendly then such maneuvers may work to the cat's
advantage and keep the dog at bay. I'd recommend starting with a kitten
should your dog not display prey drive. You'd still have to be extremely
careful but at least you wouldn't have a grown cat making overtures to the
dog that he may view as unfriendly or challenging.

--
Tara

Old March 12th 04, 05:08 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:14:29 -0500, "Atom1"
wrote:

I posted this before, I'm hoping someone can help. I want to adopt this cat
but my dog is grown and my previous attempts to introduce him to cats (2 at
different times) he would tree and they finally ran off (they were strays
too). Is it possible to successfully introduce a grown dog (inexperienced
with cats) and grown cat (experienced with dogs)? I would not have the cat
indoors, but the dog is most of the time.

I was going to ask why you would not have the cat indoors, but then
noticed that you're in Italy; presumably cats are kept differently
there, as they often are in th UK. It is sometimes possible to
successfully introduce a grown dog that's inexperienced with cats to a
grown cat that's experienced with dogs. However, many, many dogs that
are fine with cats indoors will always try to chase them outdoors - -
that's prey drive - - and that's something that usually does not
change. If you don't have the cat indoors, it's going to be just
about impossible to introduce it to the dog and get the dog to
understand that the cat is part of the pack. Bringing a cat to live
outdoors at your home with a dog that likes to chase and tree cats
would not be doing the cat any favors.

Mustang Sally

Old March 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Suja

sighthounds etc. wrote:
grown cat that's experienced with dogs. However, many, many dogs that
are fine with cats indoors will always try to chase them outdoors - -
that's prey drive - - and that's something that usually does not
change.

What Sally said. Of the dogs I know who live with cats, only a couple
are good with outdoor cats, and they generally have no prey drive, and
don't chase anything (squirrels, birds, deer, etc.).

Suja