Pros & Cons on owning a Chihuahua?

Old June 12th 05, 03:47 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

Default Pros & Cons on owning a Chihuahua?

`Am picking up a new pup next weekend (if he's eating puppy food by then).
`Would like to know if anyone has owned or owns a Chihuahua. Pros & Cons?

TIA!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~* Aloha!!!!!

"There is no remedy for love but to love more"...
~~Henry David Thoreau

Old June 12th 05, 04:18 PM
Ronna

Am picking up a new pup next weekend (if he's eating puppy food by then).
`Would like to know if anyone has owned or owns a Chihuahua. Pros &
Cons?

Have you not researched the breed? It's very important to research the
breed before you get it.

And don't take a puppy less than 8 weeks old, with tiny dogs perferably
10 wks. The longer they stay with mom, the better for the pup.

Old June 12th 05, 04:48 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Ronna" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am picking up a new pup next weekend (if he's eating puppy food by

then).
`Would like to know if anyone has owned or owns a Chihuahua. Pros &
Cons?

Have you not researched the breed? It's very important to research the
breed before you get it.

And don't take a puppy less than 8 weeks old, with tiny dogs perferably
10 wks. The longer they stay with mom, the better for the pup.

Of course I've researched the breed, and I'm also waiting on two books to
arrive this week from Amazon. I wanted to read/hear opinions in here.
That's why I asked.

When we wanted our first dog 8 yrs. ago, we wanted a low maintenance couch
potato type guy. After I did my homework, I decided on a Basset Hound. He
hasn't let us down yet!! (Altho' he's got minor back troubles now, he's
just the GREATEST dog in the world).

Also own 4 indoor only cats. Two of which are rescues....

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old June 12th 05, 08:55 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:48:45 GMT ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ whittled these words:

When we wanted our first dog 8 yrs. ago, we wanted a low maintenance couch
potato type guy. After I did my homework, I decided on a Basset Hound. He
hasn't let us down yet!! (Altho' he's got minor back troubles now, he's
just the GREATEST dog in the world).

Well hopefully low maintenance isn't a big criteria for you now as with
hypoglycemia and their small size extra care must be taken in regard to
teperamture, sun light exposure, feeding timing and type etc.

Keeping a chi healthy by paying close attention to the amount/type of food
is a challenge many people seem to let slip.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 12th 05, 04:24 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:47:40 GMT ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ whittled these words:
`Am picking up a new pup next weekend (if he's eating puppy food by then).
`Would like to know if anyone has owned or owns a Chihuahua. Pros & Cons?

Your puppy should be at least seven weeks old before you p[ick him up,
although in many states the puppy must be at least eight weeks old. In
small breeds good breeders will typically keep puppies at least 12 weeks
because they know the average person isn't really diligent enough for
early housetraining and socialization. A good chihuahua breeder would
typically only have one litter at a time and litters are small so the
breeder can provide good socialization and housetraining base.

Chihuahuas are subject to a fair number of health problems. Many could be
controlled by more knowledgable breeding practices and understanding of
canine genetics. Sadly too many chihuahua breeders don't seem interested.
So slipping knee caps (patellar luxation) is a very common reason for pain
and limping in the breed. Various eye problems are also common.

The temperament is greatly dependent on the temperament of the parents,
particularly the mother. Good temperament also doesn't seem of great
concern to many breeders. The mother's behavior is the window for seeing
what the pup's will be.

It is a breed heavily impacted by pups for bucks breeders. It takes a lot
of caring to take the time to find a breeder concerned about the health
and welfare of the dog combined with the knowledge to know how to put
those concerns to work.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 12th 05, 05:10 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you for the detailed information!! I appreciate it!!!

The breeder has only one litter that is hers (her bitch's). However, how I
met her was through an online classified ads program for our local paper.
She has a rescued Chihuahua which I was interested in, but the dog is nine.
(Looked much younger in the pic... which got me interested).

Again, thanks for the info. It helps to know *exactly* what the next 10 to
15 to 20 years entails for me and the new pup.

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old June 12th 05, 05:51 PM

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
The breeder has only one litter that is hers (her bitch's). However, how I
met her was through an online classified ads program for our local paper.

So far the responses you've received have been polite but
pretty oblique. I do blunt. The fact that your breeder is
willing to let the puppies go at such an extraordinarily
young age and the fact that she's advertising in the local
want ads are two warning signs that there's a good chance
that this is not a careful, responsible breeder. And
because chihuahuas are subject to so many congenital health
problems it's really important to find a breeder who is
scrupulous about health issues and responsible parent
selection. That means health testing and knowing the
pedigrees inside and out (knowing the health status several
generations back).

But definitely, letting the puppies go when they're that
young is asking for temperament problems when they mature.

Researching the breed is the first step. Researching
breeders is the second, and it's a lot more work, frankly.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related
Old June 12th 05, 06:28 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
[...]

Let me explain something. The ad was for the 9 y.o. "to a good home w/an
adoption fee". The gal I meant in the group (Jenn: puppy mill
rescue/adoption gal for Chi's) connected me with the Chi breeder (Judy) who
had the 9 y.o. Chi. Judy doesn't put ads in the news paper. She's not
computer savvy either, so she deals with Jenn to help w/letting folks know
when she has had puppies/rescue Chi's on hand.

Believe me, I am the *first one* to NOT be involved in a situation that
leaves me to question anything. Now, because I've r'cvd valuable info. in
here letting the pups go too early (they'll be 7 weeks), I'll call her,
ask if I can pay her, but to please keep the pup a little longer.

And, I thank you! (You weren't so blunt that it was offensive... just
informative!)

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old June 12th 05, 08:23 PM
Christy

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
`Am picking up a new pup next weekend (if he's eating puppy food by then).
`Would like to know if anyone has owned or owns a Chihuahua. Pros & Cons?

TIA!

It sounds like your mind is made up on getting this puppy, though frankly I
can imagine you are paying a good deal of money for a poor quality puppy and
would be better off either researching breeders and finding a well bred pup
or contacting rescue (either of which requires patience but pays off in the
end, bigtime.) Chihuahua are, as Diane mentioned, a very popular breed for
backyard breeders because they are small and fairly easy whelpers, and I'd
say 99% of the Chihuahua born each year are from that type of irresponsible
breeder. In my area, it is common to see half a dozen Chi in the shelter at
any time. Very sad, what irresponsible breeding promotes, and I personally
won't support it by buying from that type.
That said, if you do go through with this risky venture, all I can say is to
pay close attention to your pup's teeth, getting them cleaned regularly, as
toy breeds can often have bad dental issues. Have the kneecaps and hips
evaluated and prepare to spend several thousand dollars if the pup has
luxating patellas or legg-calves perthes disease that is bad enough to
require surgery. Be sure to socialize your pup and train him, so that he
doesn't become one of those spoiled, obnoxious dogs - many toy owners think
bad behavior is "cute" because they are so little, and it often ends
tragically.

Good luck! I think you'll need it.

Christy

Old June 12th 05, 08:39 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Christy" wrote in message

[...]

My mind isn't made up until I go to the bank and get the $400 out. I don't
think that's a lot to pay. Do you? I've kindly asked for pro's and con's,
and accept your opinion and pov's.

As far as the luck "I will need" if I purchase a Chi pup... thank you,
Christy!

Another question. How do I check up on this breeder, besides getting her
vet's phone #? Pertinent questions to ask? I'm sure these will be in the
two (used) Chi dog books I bought, but I am trying to get ALL the info. I
can, as I did w/my Basset Hound.

--