GSD in heat

Old September 2nd 03, 10:24 PM
Abaddon

Default GSD in heat

Hello,

Our GSD puppy has just come into heat for the first time. Can anyone offer
any information or advice on this such as how long it will likely last
etc?

Anything at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

)/\,[_)
`T7 ]=[ Abaddon

Old September 3rd 03, 01:54 PM
Tuuk

The heat can last anywhere from a couple days to eight weeks. Sometimes they
get the period for a few days then it stops for a week then begins again for
a long session. Food, weather, stress, environment and infections of minor
kinds can change or have an affect. Its natural, just keep patting her on
the butt with a rag, try to capture as much mess as possible, usually the
dog will lick or clean up their own mess if they see it. Watch for other
dogs, even females as they all want to lick and smell which can transfer
every type of bug or infection.

"Peppergirl" wrote in message
Hi!
I have GSD also and she's going on her fourth heat, i guess in another
month. Her heat lasts up to 21 days.
I don't take her out on walks durning her heat, and i keep a close eye on
her when she goes into the backyard, as males can smell a bitch in heat

for
miles.
Some people will take underwear with a menstrual pad and put it on the

dog,
the problem is they like to rip it off.
With my girl, I keep her downstairs, where she still has plenty of room to
roam. It can be messy!
Watch for a straw like colour bleeding, this is where she's more at risk

be caught by a male.
Good-luck! Just remember it'll pass before you know it!
Peppergirl
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old September 3rd 03, 03:12 PM
Gwen Watson

"sighthounds etc." wrote:

Pyometra is also a very real risk in intact bitches; if
you're not going to breed your girl, have her spayed. If you don't
want to do that, better read up on the signs and symptoms of pyo.

Sally Hennessey

Pyometra is quite scary as well. Something about spaying a dog
with this can be a problem as well. I know a corgi breeder that
lost one of her adored bitches during spaying because of
the pyometra and the GA used. Not sure if that is just a corgi
thing or many breeds.

Gwen

Old September 4th 03, 02:39 PM
Tuuk

The heat normally last approx 21 days. Yes that is normal for maybe 80% of
dogs. Often they can go for 8 weeks or it may appear that way. Sometimes
they can get it for 2 weeks, then it will stop, then start heavier for 5
weeks or there could be a false pregnancy. There are many factors that will
influence the length of the heat. Dont just watch the calendar. My neighbors
minpin is near 8 weeks now bleeding and although it may not be perfectly
normal, it is not unusual.

Old September 4th 03, 04:12 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:39:57 -0400, " Tuuk"
wrote:

The heat normally last approx 21 days. Yes that is normal for maybe 80% of
dogs. Often they can go for 8 weeks or it may appear that way. Sometimes
they can get it for 2 weeks, then it will stop, then start heavier for 5
weeks or there could be a false pregnancy. There are many factors that will
influence the length of the heat. Dont just watch the calendar. My neighbors
minpin is near 8 weeks now bleeding and although it may not be perfectly
normal, it is not unusual.

Yes, it is unusual. If it were my bitch, she'd have been at the vet's
about 3 weeks ago. Well, she'd actually be spayed, but that's another
argument.

Sally Hennessey

Old September 4th 03, 08:02 PM
Abaddon

"Peppergirl" wrote on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:41:34
GMT:

I have GSD also

Good choice. :-)

and she's going on her fourth heat, i guess in another month. Her heat
lasts up to 21 days. I don't take her out on walks durning her heat,
and i keep a close eye on her when she goes into the backyard, as
males can smell a bitch in heat for miles. Some people will take
underwear with a menstrual pad and put it on the dog, the problem is
they like to rip it off. With my girl, I keep her downstairs, where
she still has plenty of room to roam. It can be messy! Watch for a
straw like colour bleeding, this is where she's more at risk to be
caught by a male. Good-luck! Just remember it'll pass before you know
it!

Many thanks to you and all the other posters for some great tips. One more
question if I may?

I do not intend to breed her and therefore have decided to get her spayed.
Will this prevent heat, or just pregnancy?

)/\,[_)
`T7 ]=[ Abaddon

Heat and Cold Fritz Owens Dog health 6 August 26th 03 08:28 PM
My dog in heat (I think) ms Dog health 0 August 9th 03 09:25 AM
heat exhaustion vs. normal panting? Marie Castellano Dog health 9 August 4th 03 06:36 AM
Early Spay/Neuter dangerous? CaptRon Dog breeds 10 July 27th 03 03:48 AM
Max, Diet, Oxalate Uroliths, "Gall Bladder Attacks" Rene Dog health 38 July 25th 03 02:48 PM