Obnoxious dog owner rant

Old June 29th 04, 05:38 AM
Paula

Default Obnoxious dog owner rant

I just have to rant here. Last Saturday, they had an early Fourth of
July celebration at a small local park. As I was sitting in a lawn
chair eating some food booth food and waiting for it to be dark enough
for fireworks, a woman came by with a yellow lab on a leash. She
obviously was not in control of the dog, as her way of keeping the dog
from walking her was to sit down on the ground, at which point she
would slide in the grass while the dog barely even slowed. The next
thing I knew, the woman was looking at me horrified and the dog was
right at my chair. I looked down and realized the dog had eaten my
daugher's chicken teriyaki, that had actually been left out of the way
UNDER my chair while she went off to do something. I was a little bit
annoyed, but it wasn't like she'd eaten some expensive prime rib or
anything and the woman looked so upset that I instinctively said,
"That's okay. Don't worry about it." At this point, the woman went
completely ballistic. It turns out she had been upset because she
could not believe that I "saw her [the dog] going after the chicken
and hadn't stopped her and she might have chewed some of the wooden
skewer thingie [that the chicken had been on] and choked." So this
woman has the other end of the leash that is attached to the dog but I
am responsible for doing something about what it gets into? What did
she want me to do, kick the dog in the head in the split second that
it goes under my chair to eat my daughter's food? Sorry, but that
never occurred to me, and I wouldn't do that to a dog even if it had.
She's lucky the dog didn't nab the food of someone who would, though.

She demanded an apology when I told her that if she didn't want her
stupid dog eating dangerous things, she should keep her under control
and I have to admit that I do owe the dog an apology. It is smart
enough to score people food at a public park even when on leash and
was just being a dog. It is the owner that is stupid. You could have
knocked me over with a feather when I figured out that the woman was
not apologizing or even thinking there was anything to apologize
about, but was furious at me for sitting around the park with my
family eating without assuming that her dog would steal my food.
Guess I just don't know right from wrong if she was in the right and I
was in the wrong.

A related problem is that there has been a movement in the community
to ban dogs from the park instead of just unleashed dogs. So my dogs,
who are under better control than that even when in the hands of my
six year old, will suffer because of idiots like this. I just pray no
child got bitten or knocked over when the fireworks started. Heaven
knows the owner would not have prevented a tragedy if the dog had
spooked. Disaster waiting to happen or what? Days later and I am
still wishing I could give that woman a choke chain demonstration ---
with the chain on her neck, not her dog's.

Paula