Question on breed

Old July 8th 03, 01:38 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Default Question on breed

My soon to be aunt-in-law has come, finally, from Haiti with her dog. She
says that she is a purebreed. I am pretty sure that the dog (Ramia) is not.

She currently weighs about 40 lbs.

My guess lab crossed with something else. Anybody care to offer a guess?

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/marcelbeaudoin

Look under the folder named Ramia

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Do not meddle in the affairs of cats,
for they are subtle and will pee on
your computer.' Bruce Graham

Old July 8th 03, 01:52 PM

In . 1.4,
Marcel Beaudoin typed:

My guess lab crossed with something else. Anybody care to
offer a guess?

i agree. i'm not a Lab person, but her tail seems awfully
thin and long for a purebred Lab. also, her ears seem larger
and sticky-outy-er than the Labs i've seen. she's a cutie,
though, whatever she is!

shelly (vicious Borg hag tart) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old July 8th 03, 01:57 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"shelly" wrote in news:beeepo$45ocv$1@ID-
39167.news.dfncis.de:

i agree. i'm not a Lab person, but her tail seems awfully
thin and long for a purebred Lab. also, her ears seem larger
and sticky-outy-er than the Labs i've seen. she's a cutie,
though, whatever she is!

She is, but she has this look in her eyes that says there is no-one home at
all. She is bonded to Gen's aunt, and that is it!

Doesn't listen to any-one else at all and, from my brief interactions with
her, is slightly afraid of males. Her personal space with males walking
towards her is about three or four times what it is for females.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Infantry Rule #1: Never share your
foxhole with someone braver than you are.'

Old July 8th 03, 02:03 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"culprit" wrote in news:beef41$45qld$1
@ID-58739.news.dfncis.de:

with that long snout, i was thinking something houndy. does she go "rooo
rooo" or "whoof"?

No houndy-type noises, just barking. My completely un-educated guess is
some type of dog that is skinny, with a long body and tail. Greyhound??

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your
beer cans.'

Old July 8th 03, 02:06 PM

In . 1.4,
Marcel Beaudoin typed:

She is, but she has this look in her eyes that says there
is no-one home at all. She is bonded to Gen's aunt, and
that is it!

how long has it been since she flew back from Haiti? maybe
she's just not acclimated yet?

Doesn't listen to any-one else at all and, from my brief
interactions with her, is slightly afraid of males. Her
personal space with males walking towards her is about
three or four times what it is for females.

heh. i know of what you speak. harriet is tweaky about
strange males and personal space.

Old July 8th 03, 02:12 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"shelly" wrote in news:beeflj$45m9e$1@ID-
39167.news.dfncis.de:

In . 1.4,
Marcel Beaudoin typed:

She is, but she has this look in her eyes that says there
is no-one home at all. She is bonded to Gen's aunt, and
that is it!

how long has it been since she flew back from Haiti? maybe
she's just not acclimated yet?

That is very possible. It has been less than a week since she got in. She
has been to the vet, gotten completely checked out and all is good. She
tries to play with Moogli and his mom, but she is just *too big* to play
with them. She tries to play and they start running under chairs and
stuff, which stops her dead in her tracks.

She is not spayed yet, and mentione that she wanted to breed her. I think
the vet and I have managed to convince her that it is in her best
interest to get her spayed ASAP

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'If you want the best seat in the
house, move the cat.'

Old July 8th 03, 02:13 PM
culprit

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"culprit" wrote in news:beef41$45qld$1
@ID-58739.news.dfncis.de:

with that long snout, i was thinking something houndy. does she go

"rooo
rooo" or "whoof"?

No houndy-type noises, just barking. My completely un-educated guess is
some type of dog that is skinny, with a long body and tail. Greyhound??

whippet?

the other possibility is that there are just generic "island dogs" that have
evolved over time. i think that is more common in places where people don't
care as much about speutering their pets, and let them roam around free.
when i was in thailand, i noticed that there were definite "types" of cat
and dog. not breeds we would recognize, but the animals had begun to take
on certain dominant characteristics after being allowed to breed however
they wanted for so long.

-kelly

Old July 8th 03, 02:18 PM
Suja

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

My soon to be aunt-in-law has come, finally, from Haiti with her dog. She
says that she is a purebreed. I am pretty sure that the dog (Ramia) is not.

I'm with you on this one. She most certainly does not look like a
purebred lab. The flying nun ears, the tail, the whole sort of 'skinny
hound' body.

She currently weighs about 40 lbs.

Unless she's very young, that's way small for a lab. How old is she?
If I had to guess, I'd say Lab x skinny hound (Whippet, Grey). But, I
have no idea what the likelihood of finding either of those breeds in
Haiti is, and would guess that they are probably not at all common.

Suja
Old July 8th 03, 06:01 PM
Rocky

Marcel Beaudoin said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/marcelbeaudoin

Look under the folder named Ramia

Am I the only one who can't see this album? The only ones I see
are "Moogli" and "Moogli in flower garden".

Old July 8th 03, 06:03 PM

"Rocky" wrote in message

Am I the only one who can't see this album? The only ones I

see
are "Moogli" and "Moogli in flower garden".

it was up earlier, but Marcel seems to've accidentally zapped
it when he uploaded the Moogli-flower-garden-pictures.
hopefully he'll figure out how to fix the problem.

shelly (vicious Borg hag tart) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Breed Addiction (BC) Chicha Dog activities 7 October 28th 03 03:11 AM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM
Question about ears [email protected] Dog breeds 0 July 6th 03 05:12 PM
WHAT BREED ARE THESE? renderer Dog breeds 1 July 6th 03 02:39 PM
Choosing what breed is "best" for us culprit Dog breeds 2 July 2nd 03 03:53 AM