Can a Berner jog and camp?

Old July 11th 03, 04:13 PM
Raucko

Default Can a Berner jog and camp?

My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on what type of dog to
buy, and we've all but decided on a Bernese Mountain Dog. So many of
its traits fit what we're looking for. I am concerned, though, about
a couple of things. Jogging and camping.

My wife and I jog a bit (just 3-4 miles a few times a week). Some
breeders I talk to say Bernese can't jog. Can they not jog at all,
for fear of physical problems, or is it okay to jog with them for just
a few miles? (I do know that there shouldn't be any jogging in the
first couple years, due to growing).

Also, we camp a few times a summer here in Wisconsin. One breeder I
talked to said her dogs couldn't handle the heat of summer camping.

We love the breed so far, but I'm not interested in a dog that can't
get out and be active with us. Please reply if you have any knowledge
that might help me.
Old July 11th 03, 06:53 PM

On 11 Jul 2003 08:13:22 -0700 Raucko whittled these words:
My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on what type of dog to
buy, and we've all but decided on a Bernese Mountain Dog. So many of
its traits fit what we're looking for. I am concerned, though, about
a couple of things. Jogging and camping.

My wife and I jog a bit (just 3-4 miles a few times a week). Some
breeders I talk to say Bernese can't jog. Can they not jog at all,
for fear of physical problems, or is it okay to jog with them for just
a few miles? (I do know that there shouldn't be any jogging in the
first couple years, due to growing).

They are a sturdy, strong and should be athletic dog. They would do well
hiking. In general, however, the structure of the Berner is not well
designed for jogging. That is they aren't designed to sustain a trot
over long distances. There are some lines that are more lightly built
than others and it is well worth asking those breeders what they think of
jogging with the lines.

Also, we camp a few times a summer here in Wisconsin. One breeder I
talked to said her dogs couldn't handle the heat of summer camping.

Yes, that is a concern. Again lines with a lighter build and maybe less
coat may be OK. If you look for Berners that are active in agility your
chances are better.

We love the breed so far, but I'm not interested in a dog that can't
get out and be active with us.

That's very reasonable. I love the Berner as well. While I'd encourage
you do at least look at some of the more athletic lines it does sound
like it might not be the right breed for you. Some of the larger
Australian Shepherds are similar in appearance - but more active. The
personalities are different but I don't think miles apart.

Please reply if you have any knowledge
that might help me.

Good luck

Diane Blackman
Old July 11th 03, 07:11 PM
culprit

wrote in message
That's very reasonable. I love the Berner as well. While I'd encourage
you do at least look at some of the more athletic lines it does sound
like it might not be the right breed for you. Some of the larger
Australian Shepherds are similar in appearance - but more active. The
personalities are different but I don't think miles apart.

what about Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs? they have a shorter coat, probably
better for summer camping, though they still wouldn't be great for
jogging...

-kelly

Old July 11th 03, 07:17 PM
Rocky

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

what about Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs? they have a
shorter coat, probably better for summer camping, though
they still wouldn't be great for jogging...

Then there's a 3rd mountain dog, the Entlebucher, closer in size
to a large Beagle with the short coat of the Swissie.

Old July 11th 03, 07:23 PM
Teresa

You should NOT take a berner puppy out jogging .. now once it is an adult
(2 - 3 years) that would be different, depending on the structure of the
individual dog. A Large BIG boned dog I would not expect to have the desire
to jog, but a smaller dog might. But the bones of a growing puppy do not
need that type of punishment. Now yes the puppy should be given ample
opportunity for 'free' exercise but jogging for any distance is not what
that developing body should be subjected to.

Camping .. it would depend on where you go and what the temperature is like
in that area.

Actually sounds like a something from the sporting group might fit better in
your lifestyle. The national club has put together an interesting profiler
to help prospective puppy owners determine if a berner is the right breed
for them.

http://www.bmdca.org/pages/profiler.html

Many berner owners do a number of outdoor activities with their berners but
you have to consider the individual dog. Most berners will just LOVE cold
weather activities, but in the summer .. keep them out of excessive heat, as
they have a heavy coat.

I would suggest you actually meet some dogs, and talk with other owners from
the Wisconsin club:

http://www.bmdcsew.org/

You can also find links to other clubs at:

http://www.bmdca.org/

Many great links and information, as well as an email list can be found at
the following:

http://www.berner.org

Good luck!

Teresa

Old July 11th 03, 07:36 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Teresa" wrote in
:

Actually sounds like a something from the sporting group might fit
better in your lifestyle. The national club has put together an
interesting profiler to help prospective puppy owners determine if a
berner is the right breed for them.

http://www.bmdca.org/pages/profiler.html

That is a really cool profiler. More breed clubs need to put together a
profiler with those type of questions!!

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Dain Bramaged.'

Old July 11th 03, 07:55 PM
Christy

"Raucko" wrote in message
om...

We love the breed so far, but I'm not interested in a dog that can't
get out and be active with us. Please reply if you have any knowledge
that might help me.

Have you considered the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog?
http://www.gsmdca.org/
They are related to Berners, but are short coated and more athletically
built. I can't say as to whether they are more suited as jogging/camping
partners, but they would seem more likely. I love Berners, and there are a
few that do agility here, but they don't seem to be the most athletic dogs
around. Heavy frames and heavy coats just don't suit heavy activity. If the
breeders are telling you the dogs aren't suited for jogging and hot weather,
I'd believe them, as they are the best resource for their breed.

Christy

Old July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
Rocky

Teresa said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Actually 4 breeds make up this Swiss contingent

Yup, that's why I said "Then there's *a* 3rd mountain dog".
Appenzellers are very uncommon in North America, though, and I
was too lazy to verify the spelling of the name, heh.

A Entlebucher owner once told me that, technically, there's a
5th - that Saint Bernards fall into the mountain dog category.
What's your opinion on this?

Old July 12th 03, 01:52 AM
Tara O.

"Raucko" wrote in message
om...

Also, we camp a few times a summer here in Wisconsin. One breeder I
talked to said her dogs couldn't handle the heat of summer camping.

Purely anecdotal but I know of a good many Berners on the east coast of SC
where our temps, with heat index, pretty much stay over 100 degrees in the
dead of summer (pretty much from mid-June to early September) and are in the
80-90s a good many months more. The dogs whose owners I've spoken to are
indoor dogs but they do get out and exercise, go for walks, rides in cars,
etc. I don't know what the temps are where you camp but I'd think (maybe
wrongly) that a weekend or several days camping, with good shade and plenty
of water, wouldn't hurt a Berner.

--
Tara