Schutzhund?

Old May 24th 04, 06:09 AM
Scott

Default Schutzhund?

I understand that schutzhund is a sport and that the dogs are trained to
bite the sleeve. My question is whether or not a trained schutzhund
dog, without any additional training in police work or personal
protection, would be more inclined to bite an intruder than a dog that
has not been trained to bite a sleeve? (The intruder is a bad guy and
the dogs are identical. Both dogs have bonded with their owners and
live indoors.)

Old May 24th 04, 11:00 AM

"Scott" wrote in message
My question is whether or not a trained schutzhund
dog, without any additional training in police work or personal
protection, would be more inclined to bite an intruder than a dog that
has not been trained to bite a sleeve?

an impossible question to answer as so much depends on the dog itself. in
schutzhund, the dogs are required to be very dependablke in their obedience
before they can begin bitework. so having a dog that is well-trained is
always a plus. but as you say, it is a sport. when i was working with my
schutzhund I GSD, i saw alot of dogs in training. to some of them it was a
sport and only a game, but to others, it was more serious. even among
schutzhund people, there seems to be a camp of those who say they have
"real" dogs and those have "sport" dogs...

--
Ruth + Gretta, one old weim + Woody, the corgimon and Thelma, the three
legged wonder cat

Old May 25th 04, 02:07 PM
Gwen Watson

Scott wrote:

I understand that schutzhund is a sport and that the dogs are trained
to bite the sleeve. My question is whether or not a trained
schutzhund dog, without any additional training in police work or
personal protection, would be more inclined to bite an intruder than a
dog that has not been trained to bite a sleeve? (The intruder is a
bad guy and the dogs are identical. Both dogs have bonded with their
owners and live indoors.)

From my limited experience in Schutzhund the dogs see this as a fun
sport. And in
reality the training which in some ways is almost second nature does not
cause
any protection in the dog. In fact it is my understanding that one of
the clubs
here has had an annual Halloween party and this has been tested to a degree.
Of course any dog can sense a mock up staged pretend attack and a real
attack.
Bottomline is the dogs did not leave the helper and continued to bark
and hold
while a actor attacker preceded to pretend to choke the handler to death.

Again from my limited experience the dogs really see the jute sleeve as
a toy
to be removed and run off the field with. It is in some ways all part of
a game.

But don't take my word on this. I am sure others will comment in regards
to this
question.

Gwen

Old May 26th 04, 06:14 PM
Lynn K.

Scott wrote in message ...
My question is whether or not a trained schutzhund
dog, without any additional training in police work or personal
protection, would be more inclined to bite an intruder than a dog that
has not been trained to bite a sleeve?

Impossible to say because protectiveness and ScH. training aren't
related. However, they could be even less inclined, based on one
incident I saw (anecdotal, I know). A sleeve-trained dog, ready to
bite, stayed on the ground, scanning the person's forearms, looking
confused. I believe he was so conditioned to the sleeve that the lack
of one prevented a bite in a situation where an untrained dog would
have bitten.

Lynn K.

Ping: Melanie Debbie S Dog behavior 966 January 20th 04 05:18 PM
schutzhund vs police/personal protection k9 Scott Dog behavior 1 July 31st 03 07:35 PM