Cubbe report: The vet and the tail

Old May 19th 04, 12:03 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Cubbe report: The vet and the tail

Cubbe is back from a day at the vet where she got her routine annual
exam and annual shots and routine rare dental work. She's fine. The
bad news is that the vet reports no improvement in her fear during the
exam and shots. The good news is that she goes back to being trusting
good dog the instant she stops feeling threatened which is the instant
they stop trying to hold her still. So when they go to get her to move
her around the office or to get her to bring her to me, she's fine,
holds no grudges. I expect that. She's fine with all people when she's
on or off a leash, just doesn't like being up on that table and takes
great exception the muzzle but can't be trusted for those few minutes
without it.

Her teeth are fine too. She got tartar scraped off them so now she has
a lovely smile. Naturally that required anesthetic which is why she
spent the day at the vet instead of my being there with her. When she
came out of the back office as we were paying, she recognized us and
seemed quite happy but not the full joyful waggy tail greeting we
usually get. She was still groggy. Now at home, we're watching the
anesthetic indicator: the tail. I swear it is the funniest thing to
watch Cubbe's tail go from relaxed and unfurled to the full upright
curled position. The entire transformation takes a few hours, but we
have a complete visual indicator of how the drug is effecting her during
that time.

--Lia