Just a Funny Anecdote

Old July 14th 03, 07:58 PM
Tania

Default Just a Funny Anecdote

My husband and I have a 7 month old male dachshund, Digger (of
course!). Well, yesterday I heard him barking behind the shed. And it
wasn't a bark like he barks at people. It was a, "uh,
I-got-a-new-toy-and-I'm-playin'-with-it" bark. I walked around I saw
him digging (of course!) under the shed AT something. I was afraid it
was a snake because in southeastern Virginia, the poisonous ones tend
to come out and sun themselves when it's hot and dry. Well, my husband
looked and looked, but didn't find anything. So we go sit back down at
the table (our outdoor furniture set is close to the shed). I heard
Digger again, scratchin'. Well, I looked over and out of the corner of
my eye and saw this SORRY, beat-up, gimpy, broken, bit-up, half-dead
mouse slowly crawling ON its side from under the shed. After it's
brief, and very pathetic, diplay it limps back under the shed through
into another hole. I look at my husband and say, "well, if you begin
to smell something bad from the shed this week, you'll know what it
is." So he bought mouse traps and smeared peanut butter on them. I
KNEW Digger would figure out how to get the peanut butter, but my
husband said noooooooooooooooooooo, he'll get clipped once and that's
it. Nope, Digger figured out how to trip the trap and THEN eat the
peanut butter. How can you NOT love a Dachshund??????????

Tania and Digger, the very appropriately named dachshund
Old July 14th 03, 10:43 PM
Robin

"Tania" wrote in message
om...
I walked around I saw
him digging (of course!) under the shed AT something. I was afraid it
was a snake because in southeastern Virginia, the poisonous ones tend
to come out and sun themselves when it's hot and dry. Well, my husband
looked and looked, but didn't find anything. So we go sit back down at
the table (our outdoor furniture set is close to the shed). I heard
Digger again, scratchin'.

Keep a careful eye on that situation of digging under the shed. Years ago I
had a cocker spaniel. Very sweet dog, but dumber than a bag of doorknobs.
A possum or something had taken up residency under my shed. One day I could
not find my cocker, but I noticed a hole near the front of my shed. Upon
closer inspection I could hear my cocker whining from underneath. She had
gotten under there and couldn't figure out how to get herself out. I had to
bust through my shed floor and rip it out to get her out. I was holding my
breath and praying I wasn't busting through the exact spot where she was.
Perhaps laying a row of bricks or other rough rock around the perimeter of
your shed would discourage any digging beneath it.

Robin